PDA

View Full Version : Oal .32wcf

Padrino
03-31-2010, 05:13 AM
According to my Lee information, the .32WCF should have a minimum OAL of 1.490" with a 90 grain lead boolit.
My question is, if I load an 80 grain lead boolit to an OAL of 1.533", would it cycle properly in my Winchester 92?
To my simple mind, it should. What do you all think?

Thanks!

RICKLANDES
03-31-2010, 11:58 AM
I do not see the shorter OAL will impact the feeding cycling. The low pressure levels of this round suitable for a '92 will not cause any excessive pressures to cause ringing in the chamber. IMHO. I would load a few and give it a try. These are accurate rounds. I like the 115 grainer myself.

I have one of these rifles that my Great granddad bought in the Judith Valley area of Montana back in 1907 when he was seeking his fortune in his gold and silver mines.

Here is a good link for various pressure levels loads for the little 32.20
http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/3220wcf.htm

WARD O
03-31-2010, 01:30 PM
Cartridge overall lengths - both min and max are set to assure chambering and feeding in most guns. Some leveractions like the '73 Winchester and replicas are very specific on COL to assure feeding in the carrier style they use while others like the '92 are less specific. Too short a COL in a '73 may let the next cartridge in the magazine out far enough to "hang up" the carrier. About the only way to find out if it will feed in your action is to load up a dummy round and test it out.

A cartridge may also be too long to chamber safely - it may push the bullet into the rifling and this practice may cause dangerous pressures is fired!

While you do have a fair amount of leeway here, you still have to be careful!

Padrino
03-31-2010, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the information!
I just wanted to know if it will feed ok in my 92 before I go out and buy a mold. I also just read another article where a guy was loading 60 grain .32ACP boolits in his .32WCF, and he commented that they worked well. So that pretty much tells me what I needed to know. I'll go ahead and order that mold now. It's a 6 cavity, so I can get more done in less time.

Kind regards