PDA

View Full Version : Cor Bon style cast HP

lead4me
03-31-2010, 02:55 AM
Anybody else try this and is their a reason I should not do this? I shot about 20 yesterday and they all stayed together and really made the milk jugs of water explode!! Boolits were 7/8 BHN and have a .177 BB pressed down into them, after pressing it in you have to use a knife to pry them back out.http://i544.photobucket.com/albums/hh360/rodunham/IMG_1096.jpg

MT Gianni
03-31-2010, 08:39 AM
How does a jug do without the bb?

fredj338
03-31-2010, 01:42 PM
The concept of PowerBall or CriticalDef ammo isn't new. If the round stays together upon feeding & daily carry, why not? I find a decent LHP works just as well, but I like to experiment too.

lead4me
03-31-2010, 02:56 PM
How does a jug do without the bb?

Ya know, that's a good question! I was excited about trying these out that I shot up all my milk jugs..but this was just a function test I'm in the process of mixing up a batch of home made ballistic gel to test expansion of these w/wo the BB and of different BHN's -vs- different loads & powders. Here is the recipe if anyone wants to make some for their own testing. I use dry jeans in front of it wrap the block in clear cellophane and use wet jean layers behind to catch boolits. I forget where I got the recipe but it works great.

I buy 20 boxes of Knox gelatin (at the local supermarket), it comes with 4 packages each box. I put 19 packages into a bucket ( i save one package when I have to reconstitute the gelatin) and pour a gallon and a half of H2O in and start mixing (mind you, it starts to get a little stiff when it starts to 'bloom' so I mix with a power drill and a paint mixer attachment.) The gelatin is REALLY sticky so you have to either scrape it all off or jsut leave the residue to the gelatin gods (I actually take my time to scrape as much of it off as I can, or save some of the H2O to rinse the mixer off). After it 'blooms' you put the bucket in a sink filled with hot water (or into a large pot and put it on low heat on the stove top, which then, you have to keep stirring the mixture) and the gelatin will start to liquefy. When it completely liquefies, you pour it into the mold of your choosing, and in my case, I bought a plastic bread box that is 14x5x5" and is just about the perfect size for testing pistol rounds. I spray Pam into the mold as a release agent, but you do have to turn the mold over and literally shake the gelatin out of the mold (if this is the one that you use). I have thought about making another gelatin block that is 6" deep to use as a backer or catch block to give me a total of 18" of gelatin"

fredj338
03-31-2010, 05:52 PM
Ya know, that's a good question! I was excited about trying these out that I shot up all my milk jugs..but this was just a function test I'm in the process of mixing up a batch of home made ballistic gel to test expansion of these w/wo the BB and of different BHN's -vs- different loads & powders. Here is the recipe if anyone wants to make some for their own testing. I use dry jeans in front of it wrap the block in clear cellophane and use wet jean layers behind to catch boolits. I forget where I got the recipe but it works great.

I buy 20 boxes of Knox gelatin (at the local supermarket), it comes with 4 packages each box. I put 19 packages into a bucket ( i save one package when I have to reconstitute the gelatin) and pour a gallon and a half of H2O in and start mixing (mind you, it starts to get a little stiff when it starts to 'bloom' so I mix with a power drill and a paint mixer attachment.) The gelatin is REALLY sticky so you have to either scrape it all off or jsut leave the residue to the gelatin gods (I actually take my time to scrape as much of it off as I can, or save some of the H2O to rinse the mixer off). After it 'blooms' you put the bucket in a sink filled with hot water (or into a large pot and put it on low heat on the stove top, which then, you have to keep stirring the mixture) and the gelatin will start to liquefy. When it completely liquefies, you pour it into the mold of your choosing, and in my case, I bought a plastic bread box that is 14x5x5" and is just about the perfect size for testing pistol rounds. I spray Pam into the mold as a release agent, but you do have to turn the mold over and literally shake the gelatin out of the mold (if this is the one that you use). I have thought about making another gelatin block that is 6" deep to use as a backer or catch block to give me a total of 18" of gelatin"
Sounds like a good plan. Why not cut the mold in half, about 3/4 way down, & hold it back together w/ heavy rubber bands or hose clamps? Then you can just separate it.

runfiverun
03-31-2010, 08:55 PM
the ole power ball round.
there used to be a company that made rifle ammo this way claimed it helped initiate expansion.
same theory that all the fancy tips use nowdays.