PDA

View Full Version : Bullseye powder charge

Harry
03-30-2010, 10:51 PM
I have loaded 50 357mag. loads with Bullseye powder ( approx. 50 yrs old, but well preserved). The boolit is cast from Lyman/Ideal mould # 358156, weighing 164grs. Using the Lyman 49th ed. manual (listing 4.7 start to 7.0max grs of Bullseye), I loaded 5.2 grs. The primers are old Western 1-1/2's. Now to the question/problem. After firing 30 rounds, on close examination, I found a very slight but noticable bulge in the case near the base. Also, the primer is flattening ( high pressure?). Is there a way of pulling the boolits, since I roll crimped. Or, should I fire the remaining 20. They are being fired from a late '50 vintage S&W 357 magnum Highway Patrolman. I tried using a Herters puller with a .35 collet, but could not pull the boolit. By the way, they group nice at 50'.
Thanks for the help and advice I've gotten from this forum.

03-30-2010, 10:57 PM
Harry,
Using your press: Place a round in a shell holder, run the ram all the way up, then use a pair of pliers or cutters to grab onto the boolit and lower the ram.

Harry
03-30-2010, 11:00 PM
462, sounds good. I'll give that a try tomorrow. I have an old Lyman EzyLoader, which works opposite of the newer models, but the principle is the same. Should work. Thanks,

44fanatic
03-30-2010, 11:09 PM
get a block of wood or something solid to leverage your pliers against. Had to do that w/ 15 rounds that I overcrimped.

The Double D
03-30-2010, 11:18 PM
Shoot the remaining rounds, there is nothing wrong, everything you report is normal.

HeavyMetal
03-30-2010, 11:21 PM
My question would be are you getting "stiff" or hard to eject case's?

Primer flattening is not a good indicator of pressure to many variables to consider.

Instead I would fire some factory 357 loads and check both extraction and the location of your "bulge". I would also "mike" the case in the area of the "bulge" before and after firing So you will have an idea of case "Growth" based on factory level pressures!

Using the same case's you can then load you old Bullseye powder and compare case expansion to the factory load measurements.

In the mean time if you wish to strip your loads go ahead but if extraction / ejection is easy I would not worry about the last 20 rounds.

N frames, in good condition, are very strong and, if no mistakes were made in building said rounds, should handle the 5.2 grain load with no problem.

The Double D
03-30-2010, 11:48 PM
I meant to put this in my earlier post, but couldn't remember where I put my manual to look it up. Just remembered I had the manual out in the shop.

Brass makers make their brass as close to minimum standards as possible. Case dimension at the web should be .379-.006. I'll bet your new unfired case are smaller than .379 and closer to .373.

Gunmakers tend to make chambers to maximum standards. That would make chamber dimension at the web location .3809 +.004. Ill bet the swelled portion of your fired cases are .380 or more

At the web there can be almost .011 difference between a case and chamber, and that will make a bulge. In the 50 years I have been shooting, this has got to be number one perceived non problem that is reported.

Daddyfixit
03-31-2010, 12:41 AM
My Lyman Third Edition shows a 160gr cast starting with 4.9 with max at 6.9 with Bullseye, so might be a tad hot at 7.0 but should be ok to finnish shooting the rest (best boolit puller!)
As for the bulge what the double D said goes. and as HeavyMetal mentioned as long as they eject OK, I've shot hot loads that slightly flatten primers for years, it's the least of the warning signs.
Go knock down some cans!

sagacious
03-31-2010, 01:01 AM
Shoot the remaining rounds, there is nothing wrong, everything you report is normal.
Agreed. There's nothing at all unusual or indicative of a safety problem in the poster's question.

Shoot 'em and have fun.

Echo
03-31-2010, 01:14 AM
+1. Shoot 'em - flat primers are no issue - sticky extraction would be an issue.

Harry
03-31-2010, 08:47 AM
Thanks all. I did have a little "sticking" with the extractions. I had to push pretty hard to extract. I decided to pull the remaining 20 and do some case measuring, as well. I'll drop the charge back a little and go again.

This is an awsome site for learning. Thanks again.

The Double D
03-31-2010, 10:19 AM
Pushing is not the correct way to eject revolver cartridges, they will stick every time that way. You are trying to push out 6 fired cases all at once and it takes more effort than ejecting one!

If you a right handed, holding the gun in right hand, operate the cylinder release latch with your thumb. Bring your left hand up and underneath the gun and push the cylinder open as you grasp the revolver with your left hand. Release with the right and and rotate the butt down and muzzle up while rapping the ejector rod, with your left thumb, ejecting the case onto the ground. If you can't eject the cases with the thumb, reach across with your right hand and with the meaty part of your hand and wrap the ejector rod to ejecting the case on the ground.

If that doesn't eject the cases then and only then should think that you might have sticky cases.

Boy it's been along time since I practice those skills!!!

MtGun44
04-01-2010, 01:38 PM
If there is any S&W that is OK with hot loads, it is the Hwy Patrolman with it's
very thick cyl walls. I think you were OK, but being safe is never a bad thing.

lwknight
04-02-2010, 05:15 AM
Just shoot em. You probably got soft primers and a loose chamber , thats all
5.2 grains bullseye in a 357 mag is mild.