PDA

View Full Version : 32 H&R... diameter ??

BigSlick
07-09-2006, 06:57 PM
Hi guys,

Looking for a mold and sizer for 32 H&R Mag.

There is a lot of information that doesn't agree out there.

Some bullets are listed .311, some .314.

Lee has molds for both the .311 and .314 which are listed for 32 H&R as do others.

I will be shooting these bullets out of a j-frame titanium S&W. Not looking for a hunting round, just something to practice with at the range for my BUG.

Can someone help me out here ?

I would slug the barrel but it is 2" at most and I'm not sure I can properly slug it without hosing it up.

Thanks

BigSlick
________
Kids nexium (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/nexium/)

9.3X62AL
07-09-2006, 07:20 PM
Both of the 32 Magnums I've owned had .312" grooves and .313" throats. Throat specs are the proper determinant of a revolver's boolit dimensions, and oftentimes throats are the same dimension as the grooves, or very slightly larger as in the case of my 32's. Of course, Ruger 45 Colts are nearly famous for their .452" grooves and .449" throats--so never say "never", never say "always".

The best way to match boolits to throats is to slug them or use pin gauges to measure their dimensions. If you have a range of H&I sizer dies, you can make your own low tech pin gauges from existing boolits. You are seeking a draggy slip-fit in the throats.

Larry Gibson
07-09-2006, 08:30 PM
Hi guys,

Looking for a mold and sizer for 32 H&R Mag.

There is a lot of information that doesn't agree out there.

Some bullets are listed .311, some .314.

Lee has molds for both the .311 and .314 which are listed for 32 H&R as do others.

I will be shooting these bullets out of a j-frame titanium S&W. Not looking for a hunting round, just something to practice with at the range for my BUG.

Can someone help me out here ?

I would slug the barrel but it is 2" at most and I'm not sure I can properly slug it without hosing it up.

Thanks

BigSlick

The S&W .32 H&Rs I've used have done well with .314" bullets, throats were .313-.314". My little S&W M31 .32 SWL is also best with .314" bullets. However, My Ruger Single Six (original run) and TC Contender both shoot better with .312" sized bullets. I shoot mostly the Lee 314-90 SWCTL at 1000 fps out of the Ruger 6 1/2" barrel and 1118 fps out of the 10" Contender. The Lyman 313631 (105 gr SWC GC made for the H&R Magnum) is used for the high performance loads sized .312". Over 6 gr of Unique it runs 1350 fps out of the Ruger. Lyman's PB and GC 32-20 bullets at 115-118 gr over 10.5 gr H110 run 1175 fps out of the Ruger. I'm looking at testing some with Bluedot but haven't got there yet.

I wouldn't bother slugging the barrel, suggest you mike the cylinder throats and go with that.

Larry Gibson

BigSlick
07-09-2006, 10:27 PM
Cylinder throat size determines proper sizing for bullets, great, got it.

So, this being the case, can you give me a "throat measuring for dummies" tutorial ?

Sorry to be so ignorant here. I always been a 1911 man and proper throat dimensioning for revolvers is an area where I am pretty weak.

I will ass-u-me just mic the front opening of the (a?) cylinder ?

If I can get the correct measurement, and say it turns out to be .313, best guess would be to shoot a .314 bullet without sizing ?

Jeez, I *hate* being such a newbie at stuff like this. I have been loading for over 25 years and just started to dip my paw into casting this year. I've smelted out a few dozen ingots, got the furnace and am now looking for molds and sizers.

I am hoping to use the Lee 6-cavity molds to start with, and LLA for lube until I figure out the best bang for the buck witth a lubrisizer.

Sorry for all the totally ignorant questions guys, but at least for once in my life, I am asking BEFORE I spend any money on the wrong stuff.

Thanks again for the help and your patience with tolerating my ignorance.
________
Buy Roor Bongs (http://glassbongs.org/)

beagle
07-09-2006, 10:28 PM
I've been there and scratched my head too. I'm shooting a Single Six Ruger. I started out at .313" and then .312". Both of these chambered a little tight so I dropped to .311" and that's where I am right now. .310s shoot all right as well.

Being as there's a lot of .311" sizers around as Lyman once recommended them for everything .30 caliber, I'd try it as they're easier to find. If you get the accuracy you want, stay with it. If not, ratchet it up a notch.

My best bullet is a Lyman 3118/311008./beagle

versifier
07-10-2006, 01:54 AM
BigSlick,
The only foolish question is the one a stupid man is too proud to ask. Ignorance can be cured with a little patience; stupidity is fatal. [smilie=1: If you're asking questions, you can't be stupid, and if you're asking them here, ignorance is only a temporary inconvenience. I'm just learning about 1911's after 30+ years as a revolver man. Sooner or later you'll be the one answering my questions. :)
Just FYI, you have to get creative to measure bore and groove diameters in a 5groove S&W barrel. Star Metal has a good jig he thought up for doing the job if you get curious at some point in the future. But that isn't what you need to measure anyway.
The easiest way I have found to accurately measure your throats is with a sized boolit of known diameter. It should require a little (not a lot) of effort to push it through. A pencil with an eraser is helpful. Mic the boolit before and after (measurements should be the same). You need to measure all the throats in the cylander, too, as they might not all be the same. Calipers in the throats can give you a good idea, but they don't give you as precise a reading as preferred.

Bad Flynch
07-11-2006, 08:18 PM
Right now I own 3 revolvers chambered for .32 H&R Mag.: a K-frame Smith and two Rugers. They all like .314 lead bullets. Nevertheless, the information about sizing to throat diameters is correct, with the proviso that unless you take your gun to a 'smith and have the throats reamed and equalized, they are all likely to be a little different. Choose the size of the biggest one for your bullets when you get that far.

Bullets that are a little over chamber throat size are just fine and the less sizing you do, the better anyway. Unsized bullets will shoot just fine as long as they are lubed and of sufficient diameter. Only problem I know of is when you get bullets so big that the loaded ammo will not chamber--that's a no-no.

Dale53
07-11-2006, 08:55 PM
I have a S&W 631 in .32 H&R, an S&W 16-4 in .32 H&R, and a relatively new Ruger SP101. All three of them work well with bullets sized .314". However, I run them through a Lee carbide Factory Crimp Die as a last operation. If the bullets are slightly too big (from shooting "as cast", for instance) the Factory Crimp Die sizes the cartridge until it chambers just fine. Accuracy is between 1"-2" at 25 yards. Velocity is from 700 with HB wadcutters to 1100 fps with a .314"x120 RF Group Buy Lee six cavity. You might want to ask, there may still be a Group Buy mould left. I like mine extremely well for the .32 H&R Mag:

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=6914

Dale53

Bad Flynch
07-13-2006, 12:19 AM
>However, I run them through a Lee carbide Factory Crimp Die as a last operation.<

Dale53--That has been S.O.P. for me since the late 1980s, with the exception that I use the Redding Profile Crimp die when I can. Of course, the Redding die is not available for every caliber. What is really neat is the relatively cheap price for a custom size Lee die: very cheap, very effective.