PDA

View Full Version : Smelting using rusty, dirty tools

JSimpson65
03-29-2010, 10:35 PM
Hello All,

I wanted to get some opinions on using dirty, rusty ladles for smelting range lead. Does it matter if they are rusty, pitted, etc or not? I've used electrolysis before to clean up iron stuff with good results, but if it's a waste of time to do this for smelting I'd rather skip it.

If the pic works, here is what I'm talking about. The ladle is about 4" diameter, and 1.5" deep, and is 1/8 to 3/16" thick. FYI, cost me $3.00 plus shipping off ebay.

http://i.ebayimg.com/11/!BoZCs8wBGk~$(KGrHqEH-DkEuY-t54vGBLnSgtjQLw~~_3.JPG

prs
03-29-2010, 10:47 PM
Dayhem! Them tools may ugly your lead to death! That one ladel looks to be of silver alloy. I use stainless ladel and cheap deep fry strainer ladel for clip dipping. I think the rust will do no harm and maybe the lead will clean it for your, with the iron oxide being part of your dross.

prs

JSimpson65
03-29-2010, 10:54 PM
Yep, they aren't pretty, but for the price I couldn't pass it up. The seller even threw in a few pieces of the nastiest silverware I've ever seen. I'm not sure I would use one to clean dogsh!t off my boots! Other than that, they seem like just what I'm wanting.

If the rust might cause a problem with the melt, maybe I'll go ahead and run them through the electrolysis bath - they'll still look bad but will be nice clean iron. Of course, if I do that I'll lose the fancy handle on the ladle.

Suo Gan
03-29-2010, 10:59 PM
It won't matter at all. Use discretion as to how much rust has eaten at a ladle handle as that could be catastrophic! Especially at family jewel height. As they say at the Hispanic market, "Eeeeey...Looooken goooood mon!"

Mk42gunner
03-29-2010, 11:00 PM
My smelting pot and skimmer live outside, consequently they are rusty. As long as the loose rust is knocked off you should be fine. Make sure the ladle and skimmer are heated to drive out any moisture before you stick them in the melt, or the tinsel fairy may visit.

Robert

mooman76
03-29-2010, 11:47 PM
I agree. Just knock off the loose stuff and use them.

lwknight
03-30-2010, 05:08 AM
Put a wire brush to em. Whatever don't come off can just stay. Use em till they break.

Echo
03-30-2010, 06:57 PM
I would agree w/LWK. Card 'em off, as much as you can, and then press on...

Edubya
03-30-2010, 08:55 PM
If you're using a wire bush wheel in a drill, make sure to wear a mask and face shield!
EW

qajaq59
03-31-2010, 07:58 AM
I picked up a ladle that looked like that and used the electrolysis bath to clean it up. It didn't take too long. I'm not sure how necessary it was though.

JSimpson65
03-31-2010, 09:01 AM
I picked up a ladle that looked like that and used the electrolysis bath to clean it up. It didn't take too long. I'm not sure how necessary it was though.

I'll probably fire up the electrolysis tank this weekend just for fun. I've done a good bit of that over the years with old woodworking tools, and if nothing else it's fun to watch the soup!

Besides, I'm set on ingots for now and don't need to smelt anything right away. I just happened to do a search on ebay and found these cheap. Nice thing about that ladle is the size seems just right and the handle is about 18 inches long. I'll probably replace the cloth/rope that's on it with a chunk of wood.

I'll update some before/after pics later.

qajaq59
03-31-2010, 09:15 AM
and if nothing else it's fun to watch the soup! Yeah, it always reminds me of the witches brew in MacBeth. lol

RICKLANDES
03-31-2010, 12:05 PM
I guess I am fussier than the group concensus seems to be. I would NOT use these. I am wary of any areas where moisture could be held and rusty scale fits that category for me. If you do not have resources for a casting ladle, I would look in a Good Will store or a few garage sales for something a bit cleaner.
I also know the flux (if using a Maralux type) will tend to bond more readily to the rough surface. That presents a new range of problems.

I use a stainless rod welded to a s/s washer for my fluxing and skimming. (I bottom pour most things...save big Musky jigs...those are dipped and poured.)

Good luck. Before all else, I tend to err on the side of caution.

HangFireW8
04-01-2010, 09:56 PM
Full immersion in Vinegar and salt water for a day or two, followed by a good wire brushing, will clean them up. Or, just use them until they wear clean.

-HF

JSimpson65
04-01-2010, 10:05 PM
Full immersion in Vinegar and salt water for a day or two, followed by a good wire brushing, will clean them up. Or, just use them until they wear clean.

-HF

It's hard to beat electrolysis - both for effectives, ease and overall fun.

Here is the result after 24 hrs in the soup. Battery charger does all the work for you. I could have cleaned them up a little more, but this photo is straight out of the bath and wiped with a shop rag:

WHITETAIL
04-02-2010, 07:30 AM
J they look better.
I would use them untill I
came across somthing better.[smilie=w:

twocool4u
04-03-2010, 01:12 PM
I guess I am fussier than the group concensus seems to be. I would NOT use these. I am wary of any areas where moisture could be held and rusty scale fits that category for me.

Half the fun is when you set your ladle on top of the melt and feel it vibrate from the moisture boiling off.[smilie=l: