PDA

View Full Version : Newbie --- HELP!

PULSAR
03-29-2010, 09:14 PM
Ok so here I am casting 45s and 38s and no problems good crisp pretty bullets .Now I switch to the 30 cal mold to try for some rifle bullets .More wrinkles than a map of the smoky mountains . Same melt, same session etc. tried 3 different days in a row,no joy . Molds are lee 2 cavity Help ?

AZ-Stew
03-29-2010, 09:30 PM
Give that little devil a good cleaning with a toothbrush and some dishwashing soap. Scrub the @&$_ out of it. Make sure it's dry before you pour lead into it.

If it still doesn't perform, get it good and hot by holding it in the melt for about a minute and a half, then let it cool for a day or two. The next sessions should give you good boolits. Be aware that you also have to get the mould up to temp even then. It's unlikely that the first boolits out will be perfect, but as the mould comes up to temp, it should start producing.

Regards,

Stew

RayinNH
03-29-2010, 09:31 PM
PULSAR, welcome. Clean the molds with hot soapy water. When your done clean them with hot soapy water. You probably have oil from cutting the mold causing the wrinkles...Ray

docone31
03-29-2010, 09:35 PM
Look, my .45, and .38 molds worked great. My .30cal looked like a bad pancake.
I found, I needed heat on the mold, and I soaked my mold in mineral spirits for a couple of days.
While you are getting ready, heat soak the mold in the melt. You should get six seconds between the pour and freeze up on the last sprue. I call it the six second rule. Pour, shut it off, six seconds.
You will get it. It takes time, then it gets actually boring! I like it when it gets boring. Less rejects.

PULSAR
03-29-2010, 09:36 PM
thanks will clean it tomorrow

mooman76
03-29-2010, 10:11 PM
More heat. A 30 caliber bullet is smaller and doesn't heat the mould as much so you need more heat to bring and keep the mould up to temp.

Recluse
03-29-2010, 11:07 PM
I ladle pour all my long-gun caliber boolits and keep a generous sprue to help hold heat in the mold.

:coffee: