PDA

View Full Version : 358156 lube question

FISH4BUGS
03-29-2010, 12:52 PM
Does anyone put lube into the extra crimp groove when loading 358156 in 38's or 357's? It seems like it might do some good.
Inquiring minds want to know.
Thanks.
Donald in NH

felix
03-29-2010, 01:03 PM
Don, I always lube the crimp groove when it is no trouble to do so. For some loads, the lube should be better adjusted to the load. Depends on many factors, such as number of shots per outing versus accuracy required throughout the outing. In my typical outing, the latter is variable because distance and target size vary too much to be seriously critical. Lube is adjusted correctly when the lube star becomes obvious after 7 shots using high noon light. ... felix

44man
03-29-2010, 01:49 PM
I agree with Felix and since I use his lube which is the best home made lube ever with Lar's the best store bought, I will say that I am real sloppy with them. Even my press handle has enough lube on it to shoot! [smilie=w:
When I am done loading I have to wash my bench top with acetone.

FISH4BUGS
03-29-2010, 07:33 PM
Don, I always lube the crimp groove when it is no trouble to do so. For some loads, the lube should be better adjusted to the load. Depends on many factors, such as number of shots per outing versus accuracy required throughout the outing. In my typical outing, the latter is variable because distance and target size vary too much to be seriously critical. Lube is adjusted correctly when the lube star becomes obvious after 7 shots using high noon light. ... felix

Please edjumacate me on what is a "lube star"...........

That'll Do
03-29-2010, 07:50 PM
Yes, I lube the extra crimp groove on my 358156's.

Fish4Bugs, a "lube star" is a star-shaped pattern that forms around the muzzle. It is caused by boolit lube exiting the barrel.