PDA

View Full Version : A new casting hazard

Archey
03-28-2010, 09:50 PM
Great site guys. I have been here for a wile now and think that I should join in.

So, I have discovered a new hazard with boolit casting... I was doing some work tonight when I noticed my wedding band was not on my finger. So when did I loose it? What did I do today?
I cleaned the gutters this morning - maybe it is in the bottom of the outside trash can with all the debris from my gutters. Nope not there
I did some work on my truck - maybe it is at the bottom of my used oil can. Nope not there
I did some reloading prep work - maybe it is in one of the containers of brass that I preped. Nope not there
I cast some 170 grain boolits for my 30-30... It was stuck inside my casting gloves.
After making a complete mess looking for it and wasting a lot of time I thought I should warn you all in the case that you notice your wedding ring missing.
My wife was ready to kill me.

Heavy lead
03-28-2010, 09:56 PM
Good thing you found it. You might have noticed a '"gold" colored boolit when you started sizing those puppies.:bigsmyl2:

bigboredad
03-28-2010, 10:48 PM
I have head the same thing happen to me I think I was more upset than than the little missus but luckily tungsten isn't too spendy yet

Canuck Bob
03-28-2010, 10:52 PM
Lost my ring a few years ago. I was on a wilderness solo canoe trip, dodged that matrimonial bullet but just barely!

Ole
03-28-2010, 10:55 PM
Sounds like we might need to start a group buy for a ring mould. :mrgreen:

sdelam
03-28-2010, 11:36 PM
Lost mine on a canoe trip as well, flipped the canoe and it got stuck against a log in swift water. By the time i got it free the ring was gone. It was a my grandparents ring and it still upsets me that i lost it due to being too drunk to keep a canoe upright.

Three44s
03-29-2010, 01:01 AM
Mine is in the safe!

I work on too much farm machinery and just can't risk crossing it up with a truck battery!!!

Also, my finger began to swell up ........ really.

My wife was very understanding!

Now, if I did not keep that M1 Garrand ............

.......... I'd be DEAD MEAT!

I call that keeping her priorities straight!!!

Three 44s

Dale53
03-29-2010, 01:10 AM
When I was in High School Machine Shop I got my class ring across the terminals of a saw blade electric welder. Instantly, it was red hot. I stripped it off removing all of the hide on my ring finger and severely burning my other fingers.

I have NEVER worn a ring since (except during my wedding). I have been married nearly fifty three years and my wife has never mentioned it. You know what they say, "Once bit, twice shy"!

Dale53

ReloaderFred
03-29-2010, 01:23 AM
Years ago I was smelting lead in front of my garage and had several friends standing around watching. The neighbor across the street came over to see what we were doing. He said his wife had left him the night before and had taken off with his best friend. He was feeling pretty low about it, as expected.

He asked how hot the molten lead was and I told him about 700 degrees. He asked if it would melt gold and I told him it would, and before anyone could stop him, he took off a huge wedding band and tossed it into the melt. It was gone instantly! The pot held about 100 pounds of lead, and I never saw any trace of that ring in the lead when I was casting with it.

I told him later I could have melted the ring for him and cast it into a bullet for him to keep. He said he wished he had asked before he tossed it into the pot, but it was much too late by then.

Fred

Dale53
03-29-2010, 01:27 AM
I sure can't top that one. That was surely an expensive pot of bullet metal.

The REAL question is, how did they shoot? Should we all start running gold in our bullet metal?:kidding:

Poor guy! That WOULD be hard to take.

Dale53

BruceB
03-29-2010, 01:30 AM
18K gold has a melting point of about 1700 degrees Fahrenheit. 14K gold melts a bit lower, but still close to 1500 degrees.

Maybe the ring wasn't gold, and he just THOUGHT it was?????

I didn't check the specific gravity of the two metals, so I don't know if gold would "sink or swim" in a pot of molten lead.

WILCO
03-29-2010, 01:32 AM
should warn you all in the case that you notice your wedding ring missing.

Not a problem here. I'm divorced. :shock: [smilie=s:

WILCO
03-29-2010, 01:36 AM
He said his wife had left him the night before and had taken off with his best friend.

Yeah, that happens from time to time.

WILCO
03-29-2010, 01:38 AM
Poor guy! That WOULD be hard to take.

Man, I could tell you all kinds of stories! [smilie=1:

goofyoldfart
03-29-2010, 06:55 AM
I was married 2 times. 2nd time didn't bother with a ring. 1st time I was working in the coal chemical plant of the coke ovens for Bethlehem Steel. had been married for about a year when I lost the original while working. wife mad, but she finally understood and we bought a new ring.:mrgreen: well,long story short, lost that one also. remembering the dry bout of nuptial pleasures w/ lectures, I took a piece of 1in Stainless steel schedule 120 tubing and cut the approximate width off , made a washer face and back plate and proceeded to file shape then finish up with crocus and emery cloth grits until I had my exact shape of the ring. then I burnished the inside and beveled the edge (interior) 8-). Whaaallaa, instant new wedding band. took about 1 1/2 hrs. to make. my foreman (who is a Baptist Preacher) came in while I was doing this and when he found out WHY, told me to make two more as backups.:mrgreen: all this was done on a floor mount drill press. it's a good thing that my first two rings were white gold. she never noticed a thing,[smilie=1: Still have that ring.:-D After I saw two lost fingers because of rings , I quit wearing them at work. left it in the tool locker. No one took it because any thieves knew it was tubing steel.:castmine:

Hickory
03-29-2010, 07:48 AM
I don't wear a wedding ring and never have.
After basic training and at my duty station in Dover Delaware.
One night up town at a bar, had a couple beers with the guys.
On the way out to the car a half dozen thugs tried to rob us.

The others were ready to hand over their money. Seens how only one of them
had a knife I took the first step to disarm him. I kicked him in the crouch and
grapped for the knife. Knife went into my hand between the ring finger and the middle finger. After a short fight, I stabbed one and they broke and ran, and we kept our money.
I never said anything to the others about sticking that dude.

http://i868.photobucket.com/albums/ab247/hickory_01/Extra/photobucket002-2.jpg

44man
03-29-2010, 09:29 AM
I don't wear a wedding ring and never have.
After basic training and at my duty station in Dover Delaware.
One night up town at a bar, had a couple beers with the guys.
On the way out to the car a half dozen thugs tried to rob us.

The others were ready to hand over their money. Seens how only one of them
had a knife I took the first step to disarm him. I kicked him in the crouch and
grapped for the knife. Knife went into my hand between the ring finger and the middle finger. After a short fight, I stabbed one and they broke and ran, and we kept our money.
I never said anything to the others about sticking that dude.

http://i868.photobucket.com/albums/ab247/hickory_01/Extra/photobucket002-2.jpg
Good for you! Too bad you didn't stick more of them.

qajaq59
03-29-2010, 09:40 AM
I wore a ring the first year I was married. And then it got caught across a circuit and hurt like blazes. Never wore it again until I retired.

bigdog454
03-29-2010, 10:20 AM
When the honeymoon was over off came the ring, still have it in the drawer, still married after 30+years. I work around too many lathes, mills, and other machines. Saw a couple of lost fingers because of rings.

mpmarty
03-29-2010, 07:11 PM
A wedding band is a tourniquet as it "cuts off your circulation".

montana_charlie
03-29-2010, 07:38 PM
As an Air Force electronics tech, I was required to remove all jewelry before working on radio gear. I would normally drop them in my shirt pocket.
One night I was awakened from my bunk by the Army dude on radio watch, with the news that one of the radios was acting up.

A quick inspection verified it needed some tweaking, so I pulled off my watch and wedding ring. As I was only wearing an undershirt, I put them on top of the rack the gear was mounted in.

After finishing the job, I paused to shoot the breeze with the Army dude for a bit, before putting my test equipment away and grabbing my jewelry. During that chat, an attack began which culminated in our 16-man site being overrun by 300 NVA and VC troops.
It was part of the 1972 Easter Offensive, and we were on top of Nui Ba Den (aka Black Virgin Mountain).

When it became obvious that we had lost control of the position, the Army dude followed standing orders...and melted all of the radio gear with incendiary grenades, to prevent secret information (the operating frequencies) from falling to the enemy.

My very small diamond, and the remains of a durn good self-winding Seiko, are still there.
CM

DMCasts
03-29-2010, 07:46 PM
..Id'a kept my mouth shut upon cashing in on that ring getting a new Hornady lock_N-Load outfit.

RP
03-29-2010, 08:00 PM
Well after I got married I wore mine until it almost took my finger off I got the ring off before the swealing took in. after about a week the swelling went done and finger was healing up I did not put it back on. Wife was kind of pissed but after awhile understood I wanted to keep my finger I wore it on a chain for awhile until she wanted it to wear on her thumb or something not sure where it is now.

10 ga
03-29-2010, 10:39 PM
Married twice. 1st ring sold and turned into ammo. Current marriage intact. First ring from that marriage is in the pond behind the house. Fishing in April back in "82", standing in the jon boat, water & hands cold, suddenly while casting a distinct "PING" as the ring bounced off the seat and overboard. 3' of water over 5' of "loon excrement" bottom. Got a replacement the next day and only wear it sparingly, like when I wear the old college ring, wife dresses me in a stinkin suit for some chaps wedding or other trivia... etc... 10 ga

nelsonted1
03-30-2010, 08:11 PM
When I was a kid Grandpa told me he heard hollering from somewhere -he was standing in the yard in a wide open Minn farming area. He turned round and round trying to figure where the yelling was coming from. With nothing in sight for a mile or two he figured it had to be coming from the church across the highway.

He ran across the road, behind the church and there was the dastardly minister hanging by one hand 25 feet off the ground. He climbed up the ladder and reached over the top to see what the minister was hanging onto. Turned out he was fixing the roof, slid off and luckily caught his ring on a shingle nail at almost the bottom course of shingles! Grandpa got underneath him and lifted him enough to get the ring unhooked.

Years later he asked me what I thought the moral of the story was. I suggested the wedding ring saved his life. Grandpa got really upset and said he learned that day the danger of wearing a wedding ring and put it in a drawer. He only began wearing it again in his mid 80s.

The family had very hard feelings about hte minister and his family. When he had to write his sermon on Saturdays the kids would hang out with my father and his sister and Grandma had to feed them. Dad didn't like the kids cause they were mean and had a billy goat for a pet that would ram Dad anytime he or his sister turned around.

THe pastor was a crook. When he left he didn't pay for several tons of coal they'd used the year earlier. He had a rubber nose that was hooked onto his glasses. The family celebrated when they left.

TED

Adk Mike
03-30-2010, 08:19 PM
I cut one off a truck driver that got it caught while jumping off a grain truck when I was a kid. That was enough for me. After that I thought bands were for birds

runfiverun
03-30-2010, 09:04 PM
the specific gravity of gold is 19 and lead is 17.
if you can get antimony to melt in lead gold certainly will as will silver which has a much higher melting point also.

Cannoneer
03-31-2010, 10:31 AM
knew a fellow once that lost his ring finger when it (the ring) got caught on a rivit in the door frame of a C-130 as he made a parachute jump. The ring, finger and a long piece of tendon/ligament stayed with the aircraft as he got sucked back and down in the slipstream.

Good thing it was a practice jump and medical assistance was in the drop zone.

mike in co
03-31-2010, 06:09 PM
swimming in hawaii, backpaddled a bit to move with a wave...and bingo both rings fall off.

the cool water had shrunk my fingers a bit and they just washed away.

dove and found one but not the other.....it was a no win situtation.....one wedding ring and one gift from wife......

laid a boiler sight glass assembly on my hand once..but felt nothing...hand would not move....400 lb sight glass was sitting on my ring!

caught high school ring on the roof of my house and cut finger up to the next joint. had to roll a match cover around finger to get the ring to slide off...not much of a ring wearer any more....

mike in co

leadeye
03-31-2010, 09:31 PM
Lost my ring 24 years ago in an accident at work along with my finger. Docs put my finger back together but could do nothing for the ring. Hand surgeon suggested that if I wanted to retain my fingers I should refrain from wearing rings. Took what was left of my ring home to my wife and told her the story after driving home with my hand all bandaged up, hard to do with a stick! She said that she would prefer that I keep my fingers. She did keep the pieces that were left.;)

wallenba
03-31-2010, 10:49 PM
I cleared the snow off my windshield once with my bare hand, then I wrung my hand to throw off the 'wet'. If I didn't hear a faint 'ting' when it hit a bare patch in the parking lot it would have been a while before I missed it. My skin was a bit numb from the cold and I could not feel it's absence. I don't do that anymore.

nelsonted1
04-01-2010, 02:11 PM
I cleared the snow off my windshield once with my bare hand, then I wrung my hand to throw off the 'wet'. If I didn't hear a faint 'ting' when it hit a bare patch in the parking lot it would have been a while before I missed it. My skin was a bit numb from the cold and I could not feel it's absence. I don't do that anymore.

Neighbor kids got on the school bus telling us they were in serious trouble. They pointed at their Mother's car saying they were sent out to scrape the ice off the windshield. They had a brainstorm thinking about the awful job ahead of them. THey ran out with a pail of warm water throwing it on the windshield cracking every inch of the glass! Not as serious as losing a wedding ring but still up there.

TED

Crash_Corrigan
04-01-2010, 02:39 PM
H+_) I like it. Got divorced in '06 and I still wear the ring. Keeps those young things from making passes at this old fart. I do not need any more complications. I was so used to it that I feel naked without it. It is just part of me. The ex and I are still friends and see each other weekly for dinner and such and have a purely platonic relationship and may even get together again for financial reasons and people still think we are married but separated. It is not of their business.

Insurance companies still think we are married and that helps a lot with medical bills etc. However there are some females who take a wedding ring as a challenge and want to conquer the old fart just to prove a point. I have a lady neighbor who has been putting the moves on me for the last year with all kinds of approaches. Today she is out there with a week wacker trimming my lawn and all around the trailer. She brings me food and is still trying to scale the mountain. She is a tasty little dish but I learned a long time ago to never poop where you eat so she willl remain at arms length.

tommygirlMT
04-04-2010, 04:16 PM
Very few so far have had the gutts to explain the real reason why those rings are so dangerous.

Hickory
04-04-2010, 04:39 PM
Very few so far have had the gutts to explain the real reason why those rings are so dangerous.

You naughty girl.
Or have I misunderstood you?

Orygun
04-04-2010, 04:40 PM
I know a guy that was playing basketball and went up for a slam dunk and his ring caught on one of the net hooks. He came down with only a third of his finger! Ouch!!!

oregonshooter
04-07-2010, 01:26 AM
Lost my ring in my first marriage taking it off to do work (Electrician here) but decided that losing a finger would be easier than losing another ring in my second (final) marriage.

armyrat1970
04-07-2010, 06:37 AM
Been married oh for 29 yrs. Wore a wedding band for a couple of months afterwards. Worked as a weldor and fitter in oilfield construction. The first time I got some fire and hot slag down my welding glove and that ring stopped me from shaking if off quickly enough was the last time I wore one. Don't even remember what I did with it.

MKrueger
03-10-2011, 03:56 AM
I and my boyfriend decided to go sign for the marriage certificate this coming Friday. We are lack of information about marriage stuff. One of my friends have just told me thay we need to exchange the wedding rings in front of the judge. The other one said we dont need to exchange the rings in front of the judge, but we are supposed to wear the rings before come to the marriage.
Please help me clear. I'm so confused now, and nervous too.

nicholst55
03-10-2011, 04:37 AM
I and my boyfriend decided to go sign for the marriage certificate this coming Friday. We are lack of information about marriage stuff. One of my friends have just told me thay we need to exchange the wedding rings in front of the judge. The other one said we dont need to exchange the rings in front of the judge, but we are supposed to wear the rings before come to the marriage.

How about calling the judge's office and asking them? Hopefully they'll steer you straight!

Nazgul
03-10-2011, 06:23 AM
Buying a wedding rings this week. Work as a mechanic so it will go on a leather thong around my neck inside shirt while working. Intend to wear it always.

Don

nanuk
03-10-2011, 06:26 AM
I wear mine routinely, but do take it off when working 'round equip. (Ag stuff)

been removing it more and more. one of these days, I'll get a chain and wear it around my neck.

LUCKYDAWG13
03-10-2011, 06:33 AM
lost mine wife had the next one made a 1/2 size smaller has not been off in 15 yrs
will have to cut it off now to get it off

casterofboolits
03-10-2011, 09:47 AM
Had a cheap silver ring bought in the BX at Tachikawa AB in 65. Jot a job in a machine shop and would keep it in the watch/change pocket while on the job. Finally wore thin and broke. The wife had a classmate of her's in Japan who's family were jewlers make me a new one in 72. Weighs a troy ounce! But my ring finger knuckle got too big and it is now in the safe. We're thinking of selling it at this point.

blackthorn
03-10-2011, 12:40 PM
1st marriage---wore the ring until it almost cost me a lost finger---stoped wearing it!
2nd marriage---office job---I use my dad's wedding ring and it has never been off my hand! Gained weight and now it would have to be cut off! They can cut it off just before whatever is left heads into the furnace!!! I will leave it to my grandaughter!

montana_charlie
03-10-2011, 01:16 PM
Mine got melted in Vetnam.

lead-1
03-10-2011, 02:42 PM
My first wedding ring was made from a brass bushing, cut and polished it looked good. I wore it for about two days and I wore the green ring around my finger for over a week. My wife knew that I wouldn't wear one because I worked in maintanence but, she thought it was goofy that I wouldn't and that I cut off my long hair and tucked my boot laces down in my boots so I showed her a couple pictures of a guy who wore a ring and lost a finger. Now she understands.

zxcvbob
03-10-2011, 02:54 PM

I'm pretty sure the judge doesn't care if you even *have* rings. Rings are more of a religious or cultural symbol -- do it however you want. (makes more sense to me to exchange rings after the vows or after the pronouncement by the judge) Tell the judge when you get there you want to exchange rings, she's surely dealt with that before and will tell you what to do.

kelbro
03-10-2011, 03:09 PM
I was fishing one day in the creek down below my folk's house. We had an old semi-trailer out there for storage. I had to dig some worms so I took the ring off and set it up on top of the trailer tire 'so I wouldn't lose it'. A couple of beers later (and no fish) I went back up to the house and then on home, completely forgetting about it. It was a couple of days later before I realized it was missing and I could not for the life of me remember where I had left that thing! Wifey not too happy. About 5 or 6 years later I was visiting my folks and wandered down to the creek reminiscing. Sat down in my spot and when I glanced back up at the trailer, it was still sitting there, right where I had left it. I was surprised that the coons hadn't seen it and ran off with it. Wifey was happy again.

Swede44mag
03-10-2011, 06:04 PM
Lost the first one (the wife bought me) while trying to dig out the snow under my truck.
The wife bought me one twenty years later I still have it but don't wear it very often.

The wife has all of the rings I bought her. Her finger swelled up when she put her engagement ring on I had to cut it off. The ring not her finger. It was many years before I could get a jewler to fix the ring and resize it so she could wear it again.

I an not one for jewlery but I do love guns.

nonferrous
03-11-2011, 03:41 PM
That ring may be still be in the bottom of the pot unmelted. If you leave it in there for a few more months it will probably be worth another 500.00 the way gold is going.

If it did melt, You may have invented a new fad for splitsville people to entertain themselves with, after the papers are signed...

Then they can have a shoot off with it to see who gets the dog and the boat.

odoh
03-11-2011, 04:15 PM
My folks ran a side business of free run turkeys during the korean war period. We would be surrounded by 500 'tupid birds at feeding time and they would peck anything that caught their eye. Somehow, one apparently got moms ring off and swallowed it. But which one? Anyway during the slaughter that yr, it was located in one of the gizzards somewhat worse for wear ~ yellow gold w/diamond.

plainsman456
03-11-2011, 06:24 PM
I wore mine for 2 days.
It has been in the cedar chest since.
She wanted another type and I told her to get what she wanted,but not to get me one.

10x
03-11-2011, 08:53 PM
snip The neighbor across the street came over to see what we were doing. He said his wife had left him the night before and had taken off with his best friend. snip
Fred

There are not many friends that would take that "boolit" for a buddy....
Just so long as he doesn't bring her back

CurtisBradley
03-12-2011, 09:19 PM
http://www.usmarriagelaws.com/
If in the USA follow link, find state you will be married in and read up.

BTW - Rings are not necessary to get married. They are custom only, not required.

63 Shiloh
03-14-2011, 02:22 AM
I got told in basic training that if you must wear a ring, it has to be covered with electrical tape.

Stops the ring from catching on stuff and 'degloving' your finger, also a shiny object is not conductive to good camouflage and concealment!

Mike