PDA

View Full Version : Pre lube boolits in Lube Sizer to prevent leading sizer?

ghh3rd
03-28-2010, 09:23 PM
Lyman 4500 lube sizer should arrive this week. I've been using Lee push through sizers, am I'm used to having to coat the boolits with Alox before sizing to prevent leading the sizer.

What prevents the Lyman sizers from leading, or do you have to pre lube the boolits with something before sizing and filling the lube groove(s), or does enough lube get into the die to prevent leading?

Thanks - Randy

RobS
03-28-2010, 09:39 PM
Your first bullet you most definitely want to lube it or it will stick in the die. I lube my first bullet into the brand new die with some of the bullet lube I'm using in the sizer. Put some lube on the surface of the bullet and then in the lube groove with your finger and run the bullet through the sizing die until you have the reservoir plug screwed down to push lube through the die.

Once you do the first bullet the die will have enough lube in it to not worry about it again.

Wayne Smith
03-29-2010, 08:08 AM
If you are actually sizing the bullet RobS is right. If you are just lubing in a die the same size as the boolit it's not necessary.

DrNick
03-29-2010, 08:34 AM
Your first bullet you most definitely want to lube it or it will stick in the die. I lube my first bullet into the brand new die with some of the bullet lube I'm using in the sizer. Put some lube on the surface of the bullet and then in the lube groove with your finger and run the bullet through the sizing die until you have the reservoir plug screwed down to push lube through the die.

Once you do the first bullet the die will have enough lube in it to not worry about it again.

DOH! THAT'S why the dammned thing stuck in there...I had to melt a cruise muissle out of a brand new Lyman sizing die...and the very next one stuck again. I ws so disgusted that I took the die out and stuck it in one of the parts drawers...haven't laid eyes on it since :(

3006guns
03-29-2010, 09:07 AM
In all my years of casting/sizing/lubing I've never pre-lubricated a sizing die....but it just occured to me WHY. Most of my dies were used and still had lube in them! It would also explain why the brand new .315 die I tried to use literally destroyed every boolit I put through it.

I removed the die and verified its inside diameter, checked the polish, even enlarged the radius at the die's mouth to no avail. I'll have to dig it out and smear a little of "grandma's salve" in there and try it again.

prs
03-29-2010, 08:00 PM
HAH! The trouble I have is that my 450 Lyman press gets excess lube seeping out of the dies.

pigeonroost slim

DMCasts
03-29-2010, 08:16 PM
Are you sizing thru your lube beyond 800 fps??

prs
03-29-2010, 10:23 PM
I'm not quite that fast ;-)

Just good ole soft black powder type lube. A bit messy, but Ohhhhhh, so gooood!

prs