PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 4500 Lube Sizer On Sale $142

JIMinPHX
03-28-2010, 08:40 PM
Hi guys,
I just got Midway's flier in the mail. They have Lyman 4500 Lube Sizers on sale for $141.99, down from $157.99. Midway part #655-459.

Just thought that you guys might want to know...

Cowboy T
03-29-2010, 05:04 PM
I saw that too, pretty cool.

But it's awfully hard to beat Lee's boolit sizing die kit for $15....

JIMinPHX
03-29-2010, 10:45 PM
Lee certainly is the best value on the market if you need to be cost conscious. You certainly can make good boolits using the Lee system. But it's not the best choice if you don't like the smell of LLA or you don't like waiting for lube to dry.

As for me, I'm currently building my own lube/sizer. It's a push through that mounts in a single stage reloading press, like a Lee, but it uses Lyman style dies & it has a pressurized lube chamber with a valve that opens when the lube groove is in the right position. I sized my first boolits with it two days ago. As soon as I fix a leak, open up a lube passage a little bigger & redesign a more efficient valve stem, I should have a finished product. I'm shooting for Thursday on that.

Casting Timmy
03-31-2010, 08:03 PM
You might want to see the price of the master casting kit. It's usually not to much more and you can sell off the melting pot and some of the other stuff to get a lubrisizer cheaper.

Cowboy T
03-31-2010, 08:24 PM
I actually kinda like the "aroma" of liquid Alox. But then I'm a California liberal and thus accustomed to "smelling chemicals." :mrgreen: But on a serious note, letting them sit outside in the sun all day will fix that issue.

The waiting-to-dry thing can also be an issue, true. So, I just lube a bunch of 'em (maybe a 1,000) at one time so I have a good stock for a while. If it's my high volume shooter (105gr Lee LSWC), then I'll do 3,000 to 4,000. When I get down to about 500, I just cast/lube up a bunch more.

HORNET
04-01-2010, 10:59 AM
Cowboy T said:
letting them sit outside in the sun all day will fix that issue.
The only problem with that is for those of us who spend most of the winter under the Michiana Perma-cloud. A little rough for those in Oregon and Washington (state) as well, they get what? About 250 days of rain per year?
You can sometimes get good deals on Ideal 45's and Lyman 450's at the gun shows. I thought real hard last weekend about a used 450 for $65. Might have been able to talk him down a bit.

JIMinPHX
04-01-2010, 09:23 PM
Letting them sit outside is not such a good idea here in Phoenix. We have a lot of particulate contamination in the air. Dust gets everywhere. All that grit would be kind of abrasive on the bore.

Ole
04-01-2010, 09:33 PM
I seem to get ok results with a combination of tumble lubing and pan lubing with a silicone meat loaf pan.

It's all relative. I can see why someone would want a lubri-sizer if they did a ton of casting/shooting though.

prickett
04-01-2010, 09:37 PM
I saw that too, pretty cool.

But it's awfully hard to beat Lee's boolit sizing die kit for $15....

I bought a .356 sizing die for my 9mm and got leading. I slugged my barrel and measured my bullets. Turns out the .356 sizer was sizing .355 (thus the leading). I contacted Lee and got a precious response. They said: "our dies are +/- .001. We recommend you size .001 larger than your bore size to avoid leading." :veryconfu

Uh... yeah. Which is why I bought a .356 sized die!