PDA

View Full Version : Furnace "break in?"

saz
03-28-2010, 03:37 PM
Thanks to a good guy on here hooking me up with a good deal on a lee pro 4-20 (Thanks Mntngoat!!!!!!) I now have an electric furnace. My question is, is there any recommended "break in" or "seasoning" regimens one should follow, like for cooking with cast iron? Or just wipe it out and get to casting.

mooman76
03-28-2010, 04:05 PM
Just turn on and use. Anything you could try to season it with will just burn off. Enjoy!

montana_charlie
03-28-2010, 09:25 PM
While mine is real clean, I like to spray the inside with aerosol graphite...the 'dry' variety.
It helps delay the buildup of crud.
CM

Cowboy T
03-29-2010, 05:02 PM
No break-in period required. Just pop that lead in and get to meltin' and castin'.

BTW, the Pro 4-20's a fine pot, you made a good choice. You'll hear something about drip, and yep, they can drip from the spout a little. Just adjust the screw, or don't worry about it like I do, and keep right on castin'.

calaloo
03-30-2010, 07:27 AM
Montana Charlie.

Where do you get aerosol graphite? I have looked to no avail.

RaymondMillbrae
03-30-2010, 08:31 AM
Calaloo,

CLICK HERE (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=763758) to check out a good product.

In Christ: Raymond

358wcf
03-30-2010, 09:14 AM
SAZ,
You can keep the crud from building up on that fine new lead pot by using a lead flux called Buck Beavers Flux, by Vulcan's Workshop. A little bit goes a very very long way, but my use of this stuff (powder flux) has significantly cleaned the interior of my lead furnaces. I started up a new 10lb Lee furnace about 2 years ago, and have used nothing but Buck Beaver's flux in it, and it remains clean! Try it!!

I see you are at Ft Rich--, I spent 1973-75 down the road a bit at the Arctic Test Center at Ft Greely, AK-- good time, for sure!

358wcf [smilie=1:[smilie=1:[smilie=1:

saz
03-30-2010, 01:01 PM
358 wcf,
Yeah my wife and I came here from Ft Bragg NC in 05 and we have found where we will retire! We ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT HERE! I have also been to the test center and to Greely a few times- beautiful country for sure. And LOTS of moose up there! If you hunt, fish, camp, hike or anything outdoors, this is the best kept secret in the army!