PDA

View Full Version : Olde Saeco Lead Pot

DMCasts
03-27-2010, 10:38 PM
was at a garage sale todat and got abot 70 pounds of lead and this ol Saeco cast pot all for 20 bucks, the Pot has a ceramic insulator on the back where the cord comes out along with ceramic feet, it's a 1000 watter, casted some fairly decent bullets out of 'er. anyone no where i can purchase special (shielded) replacement heater type cord for it

Le Loup Solitaire
03-27-2010, 11:35 PM
That was one great score for $20. The pot you have in the picture is Saeco's original model for ladle casting. I bought the model 34 which is the same except mine has a thermostat on the front. Its a 20 pounder alright and a workhorse if there ever was one. Mine is still going strong since the sixties. Shielded cord is a readily accessible item in electrical supply channels. A number of forum members in the past have rebuilt Saeco pots and there are threads here that can be searched that have addresses and websites thru which you can find replacement parts. I also have a Saeco model 24 which is a bottom pour pot. A long time ago the power cord started to show signs of heat deterioration near the thermostat housing and someone recommended to me to use these ceramic "beads" that had a hole in them; they were designed to slip over the wires. They were heat insulative and worked very well. Saeco also used a kind of insulation "mesh"...I don't know what it is made of, but I used to see it on clothes irons, toasters, etc, way back in the day. I think that that stuff is still around and is being used on some motor applications where heat buildup occurs. Good luck with your pot.LLS

Greg5278
03-28-2010, 09:44 AM
They make a fiberglass woven insulating wrap. You could use that, it is available in hose like form if you can find the right size. I have a piece of really large 2" stuff, that could be wrapped aroundit. You could cut it with scissors, and use stainless hose clamps to keep it in place.
If you need it, PM me.
Greg

Kraschenbirn
03-28-2010, 11:16 AM
I fixed a similar problem on my 40-year old Saeco Mod. 24 using fiberglass "muffler bandage". and and stainless steel safety wire. Ain't real pretty but the repair has lasted a couple years now.

Bill

Colorado4wheel
03-28-2010, 11:44 AM
From the look in the picture the cord is damaged very close to the pot. Just shorten it and use a good extension cord if you nee more length.

DMCasts
03-29-2010, 06:45 PM
...in .45 Lee RN 230 gr.,ALOXED...

DMCasts
03-29-2010, 06:49 PM
..Well then, stand out ther 200 yards then...