PDA

View Full Version : Iowa Concealed Carry Legislation

Gary Carter
03-27-2010, 07:57 PM
Iowa Senate pased SF 2379 today by a 44-4 margine! [smilie=w:This shall issue legislation also includes laguage that allows permits from other states to be valid in Iowa.

http://coolice.legis.state.ia.us/Coo...3&hbill=SF2379

It has been intrudouced to the Iowa House as HF 2528

http://coolice.legis.state.ia.us/Coo...3&hbill=HF2528

Hopefully this will pass and level the playing field for all Iowans and allow visitors the right to defend themselves while in the state.[smilie=p:

captaint
03-27-2010, 08:23 PM
Gary
Here, Here!!! Sign em up. We're allowed to defend ourselves in Pennsylvania too. Funny, we look at this like they're doing us a big favor....... enjoy Mike

Three-Fifty-Seven
03-27-2010, 08:38 PM
In AZ there voting on Monday for Constitutional Carry http://capwiz.com/azcdl/issues/alert/?alertid=14820506 which means we don't need no stinkin' permit to carry concealed! But . . . there a few "perks" if you do have a permit . . .

shootinxd
03-27-2010, 09:18 PM
It is a GOD given right to protect ourselves.Hurray for you guys.I have had mine since 2005,DONT leave home without it!

Gary Carter
03-27-2010, 09:32 PM
I am lucky to live in a county that all of our Sherrifs have been pro carry. I have had mine since 1986 and my wife has had hers since 1987. But, there are other counties where it is impossible to get one. Also, people comming into our state had no legal rights to carry. Some LEOs would not make a fuss if an out-of-state visitor had a firearm, as long as they could produce a permit from there home residence. But, there are more that would not look the other way. In Iowa without a permit a loaded magazine/clip even without the firearm is considered a loaded weapon!

waksupi
03-28-2010, 12:41 AM
I'm glad it is making progress.
I believe I got my permit in Iowa the first year they were available, somewhere in the mid-70's. I recall I got mine in Keokuk County. The exam was a class room situation for a couple hours, and the deputy told everyone if they didn't remember an answer, to ask him, and he would give the correct one. There was supposed to be range time, but as it was raining, he deemed us all to have passed the exam.
Things have changed a lot in 30+ years back there, and I have not felt safe visiting the state for years.
It's time for the change.

JIMinPHX
03-28-2010, 01:55 AM
Good going Iowa! It will be nice to be able to bring my pea shooter with me the next time that I go up to the sprint car track in Knoxville.

Gary Carter
03-28-2010, 07:42 AM
I'm glad it is making progress.
I believe I got my permit in Iowa the first year they were available, somewhere in the mid-70's. I recall I got mine in Keokuk County. The exam was a class room situation for a couple hours, and the deputy told everyone if they didn't remember an answer, to ask him, and he would give the correct one. There was supposed to be range time, but as it was raining, he deemed us all to have passed the exam.
Things have changed a lot in 30+ years back there, and I have not felt safe visiting the state for years.
It's time for the change.

Sad to say, the voters of Keokuk County had limited choices this last year when they elected a new sherrif. They went from a couty that was basically a shall issue to a non-issue county with the change of sherrif. Iowa County Sherrifs have all had the opinion, as far as range time, they would rather give the people the permits, than take a change at the range with 50 people that may/maynot have handled a handgun before.

P.K.
03-28-2010, 08:13 AM
Sad to say, the voters of Keokuk County had limited choices this last year when they elected a new sherrif. They went from a couty that was basically a shall issue to a non-issue county with the change of sherrif. Iowa County Sherrifs have all had the opinion, as far as range time, they would rather give the people the permits, than take a change at the range with 50 people that may/maynot have handled a handgun before.

I couldn't open the links to read the legislation myself but was it just for the carry side or did it have any "Castle Doctrine" wording in it too? I know when I traveled to VA, they recognized my CCW permit, but if I left the hotel the family would have been left w/o help. No Castle Doctrine in VA. Iowa is weired, it has, "Law does not require retreat from home, but may require retreat within the home" wording. Which to me is just plain SCARY!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Doctrine_in_the_United_States

The link above is useful, it's not "fact" more along the lines as a guide for further refrence. I didn't even know about "Castle Law" untill I really started noticing waking up about 10 years ago.

Gary Carter
03-28-2010, 12:51 PM
I couldn't open the links to read the legislation myself but was it just for the carry side or did it have any "Castle Doctrine" wording in it too? I know when I traveled to VA, they recognized my CCW permit, but if I left the hotel the family would have been left w/o help. No Castle Doctrine in VA. Iowa is weired, it has, "Law does not require retreat from home, but may require retreat within the home" wording. Which to me is just plain SCARY!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Doctrine_in_the_United_States

The link above is useful, it's not "fact" more along the lines as a guide for further refrence. I didn't even know about "Castle Law" untill I really started noticing waking up about 10 years ago.

Your right that link does not seem to work at this time here is a PDF version of the Senate bill.

AZ-Stew
03-28-2010, 06:09 PM
Nice!

It doesn't require the legislature, AG or other to decide which other State's permits it will honor. They're ALL good. The only thing I find silly about it is that the CCW doesn't substitute for your ridiculous "permit to acquire". I'll bet that if the Chicago suit goes our way, that permit will disappear, as well. You shouldn't have to ask the government's permission to exercise your Constitutional rights.

Regards,

Stew

Gary Carter
03-28-2010, 07:46 PM
Nice!

It doesn't require the legislature, AG or other to decide which other State's permits it will honor. They're ALL good. The only thing I find silly about it is that the CCW doesn't substitute for your ridiculous "permit to acquire". I'll bet that if the Chicago suit goes our way, that permit will disappear, as well. You shouldn't have to ask the government's permission to exercise your Constitutional rights.

Regards,

Stew

As of right now Iowa does not recognize any non-proffesional carry permits other than Iowa. When I first got my carry permit in the 80s I had to have both a carry and a purchase permit. It has been several years since Iowa changed that law. Now all I need is my carry permit to purchase. Someone without the carry permit needs the purchase permit for handguns in Iowa.

waksupi
03-28-2010, 08:24 PM
As of right now Iowa does not recognize any non-proffesional carry permits other than Iowa. When I first got my carry permit in the 80s I had to have both a carry and a purchase permit. It has been several years since Iowa changed that law. Now all I need is my carry permit to purchase. Someone without the carry permit needs the purchase permit for handguns in Iowa.

So my permit is no good there? Guess you have to come visit me here.

Gary Carter
03-28-2010, 10:43 PM
So my permit is no good there?

Not until this new bill gets passed and signed. Could be worse, few years back Illinios would put an out of state LEO in jail because they would not honor their professional carry permit.

19112TAP
03-29-2010, 12:02 PM
I sure hope it passes while I live in Missouri I have family and property in Iowa and sure wil enjoy being able to pack across statelines without worry.

AZ-Stew
03-29-2010, 12:37 PM
As of right now Iowa does not recognize any non-proffesional carry permits other than Iowa.

Yes, I understand that. I meant that all State's permits would be honored under the NEW law when it goes into effect.

When I first got my carry permit in the 80s I had to have both a carry and a purchase permit. It has been several years since Iowa changed that law. Now all I need is my carry permit to purchase. Someone without the carry permit needs the purchase permit for handguns in Iowa.

This part I misread. The new law says carry premits are not a substitute for a permit to acquire if they're from out of state or if they're Iowa permits issued to non-residents. In another section of the new law it says resident permit holders do not need a permit to acquire.

With NICS in place, I don't see why any resident, CCW holder or not, needs a permit to acquire. It shows your legislature doesn't trust its employers.

Regards,

Stew

Gary Carter
03-29-2010, 02:52 PM
Yes, I understand that. I meant that all State's permits would be honored under the NEW law when it goes into effect.

This part I misread. The new law says carry premits are not a substitute for a permit to acquire if they're from out of state or if they're Iowa permits issued to non-residents. In another section of the new law it says resident permit holders do not need a permit to acquire.

With NICS in place, I don't see why any resident, CCW holder or not, needs a permit to acquire. It shows your legislature doesn't trust its employers.

Regards,

Stew

I am just happy to see that they are talking about allowing out of state carry permits in Iowa. I have never figured out why when I cross state lines, I cannot purchase anything I am legal to own. I know when I go to Missouri to the dog and gun auction, a Missouri dealer will not sell a handgun to me directly. But, a friend of his sitting beside him with an Iowa dealers FFL will purchase the gun from the Missouri dealer and the sell it to me for a small fee.

Recluse
03-29-2010, 03:57 PM
That's good news.

Iowa is one of the places we've typically avoided in the past because of the "may issue" statutes along with the legislature's ant-gun, "don't trust the law-abiding citizen" mentality.

Yet, dang near every person I've ever met from Iowa or in Iowa was staunchly pro-gun. Des Moines must be like our Austin down here--a wasteland of over-the-hill hippies who've spawned new-generation hippies. :rolleyes:

There's some good deer hunting up in Iowa, some outstanding bird-hunting, and a helluva lot of good people there. About time things started changing for the better for all of y'all.

Keep the pressure up.

:coffee:

Gary Carter
03-29-2010, 05:31 PM
Iowa House today.

Unanimous consent requested to substitute SF 2379 for HF 2528

SF 2379 as amended – passed – 80-15 in the House! Now just for our dumb$%s govenor:drinks:[smilie=w:

smokemjoe
03-29-2010, 06:31 PM
I live in Dubuque country, The Sherriff is dead set against giving out a carry permint, Dont know if he can stop a county from doing it if it passes the state, Hope it works, Joe

Gary Carter
03-29-2010, 07:12 PM
I live in Dubuque country, The Sherriff is dead set against giving out a carry permint, Dont know if he can stop a county from doing it if it passes the state, Hope it works, Joe

That is the main idea of this bill for Iowa residents, it levels the field county to county. The sherriff will have no say in the matter, as long as you are not disqualified do to a criminal or mental record he must issue one. If he denies a permit he must have a good reason for doing so when you take it to the state to have him over ruled.

Be sure to contact Culver voicing your support for the bill. All that is left is for him to sign it.

Gary Carter
03-31-2010, 06:09 PM
SF 2379 is on the Govenor's desk. he has 30 days to decide to sign it or not. At this time the press release in Iowa is that he is undecided at this time. Every gun owner in Iowa needs to contact him voicing thier support. With only 19 members of both houses voting against it, it should be a nobrainer. But, he has not been very smart so far in his first term.

Gary Carter
04-12-2010, 06:27 PM
As of today the Govenor has yet to take any action on the bill. We are starting to think he will do a "pocket veto". This would mean that by not doing anything the bill will die on his desk at the end of 30 days, and he does not have to give his reason for not signing it.

That would be our worthless govenor, take the cowards way out! He needs to remember this is an election year, and most gun owners I know vote!

waksupi
04-12-2010, 07:30 PM
Can there be an over ride there?

Gary Carter
04-14-2010, 10:51 AM
The General assembly is out of session for this "year". If he does not sign it, the bill will have to start over next year. I will be sure to bring this up to all canidates I can talk to to see what there suport would be for re-introduction.

Gary Carter
04-28-2010, 11:14 AM
[smilie=w:Iowa Governor to Host “Right-to-Carry” Bill Signing Ceremony

On Thursday, April 29, Governor Chet Culver (D) will be hosting a bill signing ceremony for Senate File 2379. The signing will take place at 9:00 a.m. on the West Terrace State Capitol in Des Moines.

This landmark legislation will make Iowa a “shall issue” concealed carry state, requiring sheriffs to issue a permit to carry a concealed weapon to all applicants, unless they are subject to certain specific disqualifiers. SF 2379 is a huge victory for gun owners in the Hawkeye State.

Thursday, April 29, 2010 9:00 AM

West Terrace

State Capitol

Des Moines, Iowa

(rain re-location is located in the first floor rotunda)

AZ-Stew
04-28-2010, 11:44 AM
Congrats! That's also good news for my next cross-country trip. They may grant Arizona reciprocity by then.

Regards,

Stew

GrizzLeeBear
04-28-2010, 12:57 PM
Wow, I totally missed this thread! Great news!

I moved to MI from IA 6 years ago. Grew up in Iowa City, so there was NO chance of getting a CCW (Johnson County).
So, is my MI CCW permit valid in IA when this law goes into effect? Edit: Just read the legislation, looks like MI CCW will be valid. Now I will only be required to disarm while driving thru the People's Republik of Illinois on a trip back to visit family. :roll:

45 2.1
04-28-2010, 01:47 PM
Now I will only be required to disarm while driving thru the People's Republik of Illinois on a trip back to visit family. :roll:

Perhaps the trouble going on in Chicago and current lawsuits will cause some changes...................... Or Chicago will simply drop into Lake Michigan and solve quite a few problems for the 3/4 of the state that doesn't see eye to eye with the leadership of Chicago (named from an indian name of the site meaning "the skunk place" because of ramps growing there).

MtGun44
04-28-2010, 01:58 PM
Good news. I hate having to disarm whenever I have to pass thru Iowa. The reciprocity
part will be benefical for me.

Congratulations!

Bill

19112TAP
04-28-2010, 05:34 PM
When will the law go into effect? I visit Iowa very often visiting family & having some land also, I glad they finally came to thier sences.

Gary Carter
04-29-2010, 11:16 AM
When will the law go into effect? I visit Iowa very often visiting family & having some land also, I glad they finally came to thier sences.

I imagine it will go into effect mid July. That is when most new laws become in effect. This time of year.

MtGun44
04-29-2010, 07:45 PM
Just read an online newspaper article that says it kicks in Jan1, 2011 and "all valid out-of-state
permits will be honored"

Great news.

Gary Carter
04-29-2010, 08:07 PM
Iowa’s Governor Signs Shall-Issue Bill into Law

Today Iowa Governor Chet Culver (D) signed Senate File 2379 into law, signifying the first time in nearly a century that a major step has been taken to enhance the right-to-carry freedoms of Iowans. This NRA-backed legislation will allow law-abiding Iowans the right to carry without being subject to the subjective discretion of individual sheriffs, changing Iowa from a "May-Issue" state to a "Shall-Issue" state.

The House of Representatives passed SF 2379 by a vote of 81 to 15; Senate File 2379 previously passed in the Senate by a vote of 44 to 4. Senate Majority Leader Michael Gronstal (D) sponsored SF 2379, while House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (D) sponsored the house version, HF 2528.

Chris W. Cox, executive director of NRA-ILA said, “This is a major victory for law-abiding gun owners in Iowa. Concealed carry permits should not be granted on a subjective basis using an indiscernible set of criteria.” This measure will require sheriffs to issue a permit to carry firearms to all applicants unless they are subject to certain specific disqualifiers.

In addition, this legislation will increase the term of a permit from one year to five years; narrow the disqualifying circumstances for a permit to the federal minimum in most cases, while at the same time further narrowing state-specific disqualifiers; prevent the issuing officer from placing limits on or restricting the scope of a carry permit; ensure that denials, suspensions and revocations of permits would be subject to both administrative and judicial review; grant recognition to all valid out-of-state permits; broaden the types of training that would fulfill the state-mandated training requirement for permit applicants; and remove other over-reaching restrictions on gun owners in the Hawkeye State.

“This bill reinforces the legislature’s intent to respect the God-given right of self-defense for law-abiding Iowans,” Cox concluded. “We are pleased that Governor Culver signed this important legislation into law, ensuring folks a fair and clearly-defined permitting process.”

The NRA would like to thank Iowa Carry for their support, as well as Rep. Clel Baudler (R) for championing this legislation. In addition to the provisions previously listed, SF 2379 will also limit the information that can be required of a permit applicant and prevent the application process from being used as a de-facto firearm registration scheme. Until the new system goes into effect, gun owners will still be able to obtain a one-year permit under the old system. This measure will take effect January 1, 2011.