PDA

View Full Version : Alternative Sprue Lube

Rockchucker
03-27-2010, 07:07 PM
Last night I was casting some boolits and said what the heck, I'm gonna try something a little different. Don't get me wrong, Bullplate lube is great stuff and I'm not knocking that product, (I have 4 bottles myself) and will continue using it.

I got out a bottle of 2 stroke motor oil and applied it to my Lyman .430 swc face and under the sprue plate. I cast around 100 boolits and was cutting the sprue rather quick to see if it would smear lead across the face, guess what...it didn't smear lead anywhere. I gonna give it another test run soon and will post the results, so far I'm impressed./ Ron

jbc
03-27-2010, 08:17 PM
Yep it works and the synthetic is best

Colorado4wheel
03-28-2010, 11:35 AM
I got out a bottle of 2 stroke motor oil and applied it to my Lyman .430 swc face and under the sprue plate. I cast around 100 boolits and was cutting the sprue rather quick to see if it would smear lead across the face, guess what...it didn't smear lead anywhere. I gonna give it another test run soon and will post the results, so far I'm impressed./ Ron

Does it still leave a dimple from cutting it too early?

Charlie Sometimes
03-28-2010, 11:42 AM
Does it still leave a dimple from cutting it too early?

You mean a "divot" or "tear out" from not being solid enough?

I'm going to try 2-cycle today just to see how well it works.
I alreasy put Kroil on all my molds, one more "additive" can't hurt!

geargnasher
03-28-2010, 04:02 PM
Don't get it in the cavities. Do some research on 2-cycle oils, you'll be surprised at what you find.

Gear

Colorado4wheel
03-29-2010, 11:14 AM
You mean a "divot" or "tear out" from not being solid enough?

I'm going to try 2-cycle today just to see how well it works.
I alreasy put Kroil on all my molds, one more "additive" can't hurt!

I quess it's tear out.

chris in va
03-29-2010, 01:57 PM
Lee recommends silicone spray, and that's what I use.

bigboredad
03-29-2010, 08:59 PM
I had a old bottle that is all but empty so I thought I'd give it a try. All I can say is I am very glad I did I'm quite pleased with the results