PDA

View Full Version : Will it self center ?

Johnch
03-27-2010, 11:03 AM
I would like to try some heavy 30 cal paper patched boolits in the 308 , like 250 or so gr

As I don't have a mould that heavy
I got to thinking , I could size down a heavy 8 MM boolit to the right size to paper patch
To try and see if I like the results , if I do I would buy a proper mould

Sizing it down that far would get rid of the grease groves , for once not a bad thing

Might have to nose size also

My idea was to cut a push through type sizer , but with a generous taper going into the sizing area
As to allow the oversized boolit in easer

But my only question , will the 8mm self center as I push it into the die , so I could try a varity of different original 8mm or maybe even .338 boolits ?

Or would I have to make the lead into the die pretty close to the 8mm boolit dia. to make sure it is centered as it sizes the boolit down ?

:coffee:Or am I missing something ?:coffeecom

John

Casting Timmy
03-27-2010, 05:36 PM
That's a lot of sizing. My suggestion would be to do the easy route and see if you can exchange some of your 8mm bullets for some that are ready to paper patch.

Johnch
03-27-2010, 11:43 PM
That's a lot of sizing. My suggestion would be to do the easy route and see if you can exchange some of your 8mm bullets for some that are ready to paper patch.

Yes that would work
But for me at least
1/2 the fun is the trip

So making stuff to work the way I want it to
Is more fun for me than always taking the easy path

I guess if I don't have to work in the AM , I will thread a piece of barstock and bore a hole

John

afrance
03-28-2010, 08:42 AM
John,

I tried something very similar. I acquired an old Ideal 323366 spire point mold that weighs 185 gr for this same reason. I found that if I tried to go from .324 to .310 in one step I had a lot of rejects, sheared rings of lead, etc. When I first sized to .314, then .310 it worked better. You will need a really good lube, I ended up with Darr Lube being the only one that helped me not overstress the press and sizer.

Patching was fairly easy as I now had a long cylindrical section of the bullet but I ended up with a much longer bullet that had to be excessively deep seated in order to chamber in my 30-06.

Alan