PDA

View Full Version : Double your peestola boolit moulds.

Newtire
03-26-2010, 09:19 PM
I stumbled across Beagle's article about gas checking a .25 caliber RCBS plainbased cowboy boolit by running the base into a .244 sizer and using a 6.5 mm gas check.

I had another wild idea based on this and today the FedEx guy delivered my .284 Lyman sizer.

My goal was to make several .32 pistol boolits into gas checked models to shoot in a .30-30. I had great luck with the RCBS .32-98 and the Saeco #322. Hoping this one works for gas checking some and sizing them between .311-.314" for use in the .32 pistols I have.

Things have been real tight around here lately so had to pass on the group buy .32 NOE mould but may not need it now. These are .310". I pushed them into the .284 sizer and took off the base land. Once done with a batch of that, I switched to the .310" sizer, clicked on the gator-check and sized it. The ring of lead that was shaved off came up over the nose at this time. Now if they shoot!

Thanks Beagle for the great idea!

stubshaft
03-26-2010, 10:07 PM
Man did that boolit grow or what?

Are the weights consistent after the process?

Newtire
03-26-2010, 10:27 PM
Man did that boolit grow or what?

Are the weights consistent after the process?

I know, it got long and slim. Maybe I could shove myself into one of those things.

I was too busy with other variables like making sure the cases were the same etc when I loaded them but next run, will weigh them better. I weighed 2 and one was 122.0 grains and the next was 122.6 grains.

It remains to be seen if they shoot well and if the weight is consistent though.

WHITETAIL
03-28-2010, 07:40 AM
I love the ideas theese people come up with.:holysheep

Newtire
04-23-2010, 11:59 PM
It remains to be seen if they shoot well and if the weight is consistent though.

Just a follow up on the attempt adding a gas check to my pistol boolits. It didn't seem to be very accurate this first try.

However! working on some loads for the .256 Winchester Mag. in my Marlin 62, I did have very good luck with the RCBS 25 cal 80 grain cowboy boolit by putting a 6.5 gas check on the shank (shank sized to .244) and then running it thru the .258 sizer. I used the little gas check seater to get the chekcs on and then ran them thru the sizer. These were boolits already sized to .258". Read Beagle's article on the 257312.

Using 10.0 grains of SR 4759 and a Magtech Small rifle primer with the boolit seated to just touch the end of the throat/start of the rifling, it put a group of 5 into the size of a quarter at 50 yds. I'm going up to the range tomorrow and chrono some of these loads so will post before the end of the weekend. I think this load would ruin a varmint's day for sure.