PDA

View Full Version : .361 to big??

ItZaLLgooD
03-26-2010, 09:15 PM
Hello everyone. Here's what I have. I'm using a Lee 358 158 gr. TL SWC and air cooled wheel weights. My boolits are dropping at .361. These are going in my S+W 66, the boolits do not fit through the cylinder throats. I haven't slugged the bore yet. Are these going to need sized to shoot? Would it be harmful to the gun? Will they squeeze down a little when I load them in to a case? Thanks for the help

BrianB
03-26-2010, 09:37 PM
I would size them. We just had a similar situation on here a few days ago where a guy loaded bullets of that same diameter and they would not fit in his GP100. I don't think loading them is going to change much.

I doubt they will be harmful because they probably will never fit in your gun. (LOL)

Bullets like that seem to work well in rifles like the Handi's, which have sloppy chambers. Rugers and Smiths are made a bit more exact.

mooman76
03-26-2010, 09:50 PM
I'd run them through a Lee sizer. Ain't that hard and doesn't take long.

243winxb
03-26-2010, 09:53 PM
Yes they are to big. Normal is .358" Check this first>
If the bullets are oversize or out of round the mold is not fully closing. A build up of lube, splash of lead, or a burr on the mold block faces are holding them apart. Inspect the mold block faces and carefully remove anything that might hold the mold apart. Make sure to lubricate the locating pins with solid alox/beeswax bullet lube, Lee part number 90007. If these steps are followed the bullets will cast dimensionally correct.

runfiverun
03-26-2010, 11:18 PM
measure the inside of one of your fired cases, if the 361 is close to what you get.
seat one and chamber it.
if your cylinder throats are say 359 your pressure at firing will raise less than 1k.

lathesmith
03-26-2010, 11:27 PM
Load up a dummy or two, and see if they will chamber. If they will, then try a few cylinderful's and see what kind of results you get. As runfiverun says, unless you are using some kind of max load pressure shouldn't be a problem.

And of course, if they won't chamber, then you have quickly answered your own question.

lathesmith

sagacious
03-27-2010, 12:29 AM
As long as they chamber freely, it is not generally a safety hazard if your TL bullets run a bit big. They should size-down in the chamber throats upon firing without any risk of damage to your gun. They may or may not size down a small bit upon seating in the brass-- depends on your alloy, your dies, and loading technique.

.361" might shoot just fine in your gun, or accuracy could be poor-- just have to test and find out. If they don't group well, you'll probably want to consider sizing to chamber throat diam + about .001" or so.

Start low when loading, and see how it goes. Stay safe, and good luck. :drinks:

gl89aw
03-27-2010, 08:02 AM
There is anothe alternative, use a Lee factory crimp die, they basically re-size the case/bullet after seating to insure they will chamber properly.

ItZaLLgooD
03-27-2010, 11:47 AM
Thanks guys. I didn't get the sizer when I got the mold because I was hoping for the best caese situation of not having to size. I've also heard that sizing wipes off the TL grooves. I will check out the mold before I do anything.

BrianB
03-27-2010, 12:54 PM
Allgood,

I stand corrected. That bullet should chamber and shoot w/out sizing. I did not pay attention to what mold you are using, I just focused on the diameter.

I just realized I have that mold so I checked some of the bullets. They are just over .360 and perform perfectly in a GP100 unsized and Aloxed. I bought it for the same reason as you...no sizing, one less step.

This is a clear example of why the internet is sometimes a problem. Guys like me are allowed to use it and sometimes type faster than they think!

Load one up...it should work perfectly. BTW, I have gotten excellent accuracy with that bullet.

I apologise for the bad advice.

ItZaLLgooD
03-27-2010, 03:09 PM
Good deal BrianB. I checked and cleaned the mold but still get them at .3605 to .3610. I made up a dummy round and it chambers just fine. These wont be magnums just target loads for me and my son. If they run nice I want to try the local USPSA revolver class out. I will probably use 357 brass because its hard to clean the junk out of the cylinder with the 38's. I am using Unique and AutoComp with the smaller 140gr. j-word boolits. Any suggestions for the cast 158's.

BrianB
03-27-2010, 05:46 PM
Good deal BrianB. I checked and cleaned the mold but still get them at .3605 to .3610. I made up a dummy round and it chambers just fine. These wont be magnums just target loads for me and my son. If they run nice I want to try the local USPSA revolver class out. I will probably use 357 brass because its hard to clean the junk out of the cylinder with the 38's. I am using Unique and AutoComp with the smaller 140gr. j-word boolits. Any suggestions for the cast 158's.

I would try a minimum load of 2.8 grains of Clays (Regular old Clays...NOT International or Universal) In a .38 case the velocity is 812 fps and pressure is 12,900 CUP. Max load is 3.1 grains at 871 fps and 15,100 CUP. If you have not used Clays before, you will be very surprised. It is the cleanest burning powder I have ever used. It should solve your cylinder fouling issue. I have double checked those numbers and they came from published Hodgdon load data. Hopefully, those speeds will work for you.

I have used a similar load with Lee TL WC 148's and had a blast! Quiet, low/no recoil...just plain fun! :D

FAsmus
03-27-2010, 08:23 PM
Gentlemen;

Yes, just for the record and back-up for the thread I have a Ruger 45LC that just loves the Lyman 452460 as cast at 0.455. This is too big to fit through the cylinder as it is around 0.453 or so. None-the-less they shoot and shoot very well with the typical 6 grains 700X.

An additional advantage is that the ID of fired cases is - you guessed it- right at 0.454. This allows me to eliminate the sizing operation entirely. I just deprime/expand, reprime and load them up!

Good evening,
Forrest

sagacious
03-28-2010, 01:34 AM
I will probably use 357 brass because its hard to clean the junk out of the cylinder with the 38's. I am using Unique and AutoComp with the smaller 140gr. j-word boolits. Any suggestions for the cast 158's.
I often do the same-- load target-level loads in 357Mag brass, for the same reason.

For the 38Special the Lyman Handbook lists 3.4 to 5.1grs of Unique with a 158gr cast bullet, and shows 5.4grs with the same bullet as a +P 38Special load.

For the 357Magnum, Speer #13 lists 5.5 to 6.0grs Unique with the lead 158gr bullet.

The max 38Special and the minumum 357Mag data above are listed as being right around the 850-950fps area. This recipe info should allow you to load to the level you require.

Good luck. :drinks: