PDA

View Full Version : Man rules

Sagebrush Burns
03-26-2010, 08:02 PM
Broke one the other day and I'm glad I did. Actually read the instructions before I used the product! Been back into casting for about four years now and fluxing with paraffin. When I ran out I had some Marvelux a friend gave me so thought I'd give it a try. I (GASP!) actually took the time to read the instructions on the label and did what it said. I was pleased and surprised at how well it works. Not only am I getting less "junk" in the pot but also the most consistent bullets ever. While I'm like everybody and hate reading instructions, gotta love it when a plan comes together.

curator
03-26-2010, 08:10 PM
Most of the folks that complain about Marvilux aren't complaining about its fluxig ability. The next time you power up your lead pot be very careful about introducing your ladle or stiring tools into the melt or you will be visited by the "tinsel fairy." Marvilux leaves a hygroscopic film on everything it touches. If you carefully warm your tools before you use them you won't have a problem. It also leaves a "crud ring" in your lead pot that is difficult to remove and will cause rust in a humid environment.

BrianB
03-26-2010, 09:54 PM
Humid? As in Florida...or Mississippi?

stubshaft
03-26-2010, 10:03 PM
Been visited by the tinsel fairy myself when using Marvellux. I though my ladle was heated up enough to drive out the moisture WRONG. It does work, it did leave a crusty deposit on the side of my pot and it did ccause rusting of the pot in "humid as in" Hawaii.

Don't get me wrong I did use all of it and it took me long time to do it but now I use Flake Flux or sawdust.

snake river marksman
03-26-2010, 11:00 PM
You need to read the fine print in the New Man Rule Book. In appendix XB under 30001.133i it states in very fine print, that: "It is OK to read the instructions first so long as a woman cannot see you do it. Reading the instructions first, and then actually following them, without a woman being aware that you have done so, enhances the Manly Image."

Mk42gunner
03-26-2010, 11:25 PM
Humid? As in Florida...or Mississippi?

When I used it in Fallon, NV (DRY DRY DRY desert, average rainfall less than 5"), it drew moisture.

Robert

mastercast.com
03-27-2010, 12:22 AM
I used to use marvellux here when I first started casting bullets.

They advertise that it does not bring/draw moisture to the pot.....HORSE FEATHERS!

It cost me a really expensive "POT" replacement, in just a few months. Leave that C*@p alone, and use paraffin to flux.

giz189
03-27-2010, 12:30 AM
I used it once. They next time I looked pot was crudded up with some kind of white stuff. Kinda looked like something salt water had dried on to. Trashed nearly a full container of it.

Southern Son
03-27-2010, 12:39 AM
I ain't seen it (Marvelux) down here. I have just used bullet lube or bees wax. Seems to work without any major problems (sometimes leaves a residue on stirers, but the residue don't attract water).

Houndog
03-27-2010, 08:31 AM
Thanks to this board I've been using dry Yellow Pine sawdust and it's working as good or better than anything else I've tried, and best of all it's FREE!!!!!

frankenfab
03-27-2010, 09:00 AM
I save up all the boolit lube that squishes out of my sizer when I let it get too hot, and use that for flux. I didn't care for the Marvelux myself.

dragonrider
03-27-2010, 09:07 AM
+1 to what Houndog said

SharpsShooter
03-27-2010, 09:26 AM
Stir & scrape your pot with a hickory slat board and forget the paraffin, bee wax and marvy lux too.

Ain't necessary.

SS

a.squibload
03-27-2010, 01:32 PM
I heat my house with wood pellets, ready supply of sawdust, always used candlewax but will
give sawdust a try, thanks.
Unless I find a hickory slat, that is. I imagine it smokes up a bit when you stir, is that what
does the trick?

1Shirt
03-27-2010, 02:14 PM
Like Sharpshooter says. I use one of the free paint sturing sticks that most hardwares give away. They last for about 4-5 sturings.
1Shirt!:coffee:

Sagebrush Burns
03-27-2010, 04:12 PM
You need to read the fine print in the New Man Rule Book. In appendix XB under 30001.133i it states in very fine print, that: "It is OK to read the instructions first so long as a woman cannot see you do it. Reading the instructions first, and then actually following them, without a woman being aware that you have done so, enhances the Manly Image."

Thanks for the clarification - it does ease my mind. I've been slipping lately, though, I actually asked directions once this year...

MT Gianni
03-27-2010, 07:21 PM
My first day on the job as a gas apprentice serviceman I was sent with a man who drove 6 hours to fire a machine that baked coatings on electrical motor windings. He was well paid and the shop was in a hurry but he sat down and went through the manual before he ever looked at the controls. He told me if i didn't learn anything else I needed to learn that. It stuck.

dualsport
03-28-2010, 04:26 AM
I switched after many years from Marvelux to candle wax. Much better, my pot thanked me.

mold maker
03-28-2010, 04:58 AM
Does anyone have another use for marvelux??? I have 2 unopened jars and one with about a heaping table spoon missing.
The first time I used it, it made a mess in my pot. The second time it EMPTIED the pot. That stuff is dangerous.
Back in the 80s I didn't know about sawdust.

WHITETAIL
03-28-2010, 07:03 AM
Thanks to this forum, I too use sawdust.:redneck:

JohnH
03-28-2010, 09:05 AM
I heat my house with wood pellets, ready supply of sawdust, always used candlewax but will
give sawdust a try, thanks.
Unless I find a hickory slat, that is. I imagine it smokes up a bit when you stir, is that what
does the trick?

No, it is the carbon content of the material.

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=78241&highlight=fluxing

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=77558&highlight=fluxing

These are just two threads of many you will find doing a search of the site on "fluxing"

snake river marksman
03-28-2010, 09:17 AM
KNOWING is the biggest roadblock to LEARNING

Freightman
03-28-2010, 09:29 AM
A hand full of shavings from the router smells better than wax or oil and does a better job.

torker
03-30-2010, 01:54 AM
I agree with 1shirt on the free paint sticks. I grab a hand full everytime I go to Lowes. Lot's of carbon that seems to work for me.

bruce drake
03-30-2010, 09:17 AM
I've got a nice bunch of hardwoods out behind the house that I walk through and occasionally pick up a bundle of switches to dry out in the garage for use as stirrers for my pot. They work great and provide a bit of smoke for my dear wife to complain about later when I come in ("you smell like you've been casting") from the mancave.

Bruce

mpmarty
03-30-2010, 12:21 PM
Does anyone have another use for marvelux??? I have 2 unopened jars and one with about a heaping table spoon missing.
The first time I used it, it made a mess in my pot. The second time it EMPTIED the pot. That stuff is dangerous.
Back in the 80s I didn't know about sawdust.

Sprinkle it in the cracks and crevices around the house. It kills cockroaches.