PDA

View Full Version : Military Cartridge Brass Destruction 2010 - Round 2

Bert2368
03-26-2010, 12:28 PM
Well- ATK has found it more profitable to arrange for destruction of military brass. There is a political component too, of course.

http://www.progunleaders.org/ammo/

Quotes from ATK program sales literature:

"Currently handling brass scrap for ATK Lake City -- for sole purpose of recycling material and preventing any reloading of spent cases by the public with military grade brass."

"Keeps Military Grade Brass from being re-loaded by unauthorized users."

"To PREVENT anyone from using your scrap ammunition components for non-military purposes." (Emphasis in the original)

"Assurability for the [military] installation, that no one can use this cartridge against law enforcement or our military personnel, by reloading the case."

captaint
03-26-2010, 12:49 PM
I was gonna ask "who do these people think they are"?? but we all know that. Guess this makes them feel real GOOD about themselves. Somebody has the byline here "throw them all out". that's what I'm working for. Mike

Zbench
03-26-2010, 03:28 PM
While there could be some antigun slant, I think it's more likely that it is anti-competitive. If you follow the link to ATK.com you will see that ATK owns Speer, Federal and CCI. It would make sense from a good business practice standpoint to ensure that surplus military brass NOT make it into the hands of reloaders as that siphons off potential customers from their own brands.

They also own RCBS. Which makes for an interesting contradiction. One side of the business is looking to keep brass out of the hands of reloaders, while the other promotes it.

As usual, you need to follow the money!!!

Pete

Bert2368
03-26-2010, 05:24 PM
It's a win-win proposition forATK. Put the smaller ammo re-manufacturers out of business. Have the taxpayer susidize their brass cost and improve the company bottom line. Curry political favor.

And what could be the drawbacks to this wonderful new business maneuver?

shooterg
03-26-2010, 06:00 PM
Sucks that people that oughta be on your side ain't. Hope the word is out and everybody buys from competitors.

Bert2368
03-26-2010, 06:10 PM
And send the ATK ammunition and reloading component/tool divisions messages about WHY you're not buying their products.

jcwit
03-26-2010, 06:29 PM
I go along with your idea Bert2368 but ATK is so huge and with all the government "world wide" contracts I bet they could care less.

bohokii
03-27-2010, 01:39 AM
if they are so hard up for brass i bet we could provide them with equal weight of copper water pipe and zinc wheel weights for once fired brass maybe even double

mike in co
03-28-2010, 08:11 PM
has anyone seen proof this is a CURRENT practice by atk and the government ?

if not its just another internet RUMOR.

mike in co

Faret
03-28-2010, 09:07 PM

mike in co

+1 on that.

mike in co
03-28-2010, 09:50 PM

mike in co

on the other thread on this subject, ark published a statement.

they did not deny, did say the the government was paid, support sales to the open market via gov auctions, but did not say if it was an current process......

still need more info

mike in co

Rock
03-28-2010, 11:06 PM
Source: http://www.ammoland.com/2010/03/24/military-cartridge-brass-destruction-round-2/

JeffinNZ
03-28-2010, 11:35 PM
Every shooter who is of concern should boycott ATK then. Vote with your money.

a.squibload
03-28-2010, 11:47 PM
Their stated motive of keeping ammo components out of the "wrong hands" doesn't
hold water, as mentioned above, and by the fact that Lake City loaded rounds are
available to consumers (meaning anyone).

mike in co
03-29-2010, 10:34 AM
well after further reading, it would appear WE as TAXPAYERS need to stop this now.
as in the last round, the point is loss of funds. its not a gun thing, its a money thing. in this economy we cannot afford to miss any opportunity to generate funds.....privsate sales thet are based on destructed value is not good for the economy.....

or on plain english....htis is bs.

what is next ??

email /call your senators and congressmen

email atk...no further buys of ANY ATK CONTROLLED PRODUCT.

someone needs to post a complete list of atk companies...and then email each company too.

mike in co.

mike in co
03-29-2010, 10:46 AM
SPEER
FEDERAL
RCBS
WEAVER
SHOOTERS RIDGE
EAGLE INDUSTRIES
CHAMPION
OUTERS
CCI
ALLIANT POWDERS
GUNSLICK
RAM LINE
NITREX

add any if i misssed them

email
call
refuse to buy

mike in co

StarMetal
03-29-2010, 10:57 AM
At the same time this fiasco was stated, Federal announced they are going to sell brass once again. Well first off their pistol brass is ok, but their rifle brass has become total junk. At any rate an embargo of ATK products seems to be the way to go and I think letters should be written to them to let them know how we feel.

What's next? That's easy. Since Obama, and his administration, have gotten big gonads over the recent passing of the HC bill....gun confiscation is next. I think a sign of that is that the second Heller case in D.C. lost. Watch the Chicago gun trial fail next. Being that Obama can past anything unconstitutional into law at will, he'll just take the guns.

3006guns
03-29-2010, 11:00 AM
Sucks that people that oughta be on your side ain't. Hope the word is out and everybody buys from competitors.

What's really wierd about this whole thing is that you'd think they'd be currying favor to the shooters/reloaders that buy most of their "spinoff" company products. I mean, if you can obtain large quantities of raw product that caters to the end use of the OTHER things you sell, wouldn't that make more sense?

BOOM BOOM
04-04-2010, 12:41 PM
HI
JUST SAW THIS.
I'm mad.
It is also possible that it was part of closing a deal on a gov. contract.
This has been on Hilleries agenda since 1993.

AZ-Stew
04-04-2010, 02:44 PM
For what it's worth. From the NRA-ILA Alerts I've received in the last couple of days:

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Federal/Read.aspx?id=5671

Regards,

Stew

mike in co
04-04-2010, 03:52 PM
yep they finally WOKE UP.

they do have some clout...lets see...

mike