PDA

View Full Version : Questions for all you real lathe owners.

btr-cj
07-07-2006, 01:54 PM
I have a small 7x12 lathe I use now but am looking at a 10” South Bend for sale locally.

It looks to be a Heavy 10 but I am not sure. The Serial Number is 6964RKK12.

It comes only with a face plate with a 3 jaw chuck, a taper attachment and a tailstock. The cross slide is complete but there are no more tooling with it.

The only other accessories I think I would need soon are a 4 jaw chuck and a drill chuck arbor for the tail stock.

The spindle hole is about 1.265. I laid a strait edge on the top of the ways and they look good. All the gears I can see seam to be in good shape with no obvious ware to them. All metal looks in good shape.

A few questions.

1) By the serial number can you tell me if it is a heavy?
2) I can not move the levers on the quick change gear box. Is this normal for a machine that is not running? I have no way to plug it in to test it.
3) Seeing how expensive tooling for this lathe is on eBay, how much would you pay?
4) Can this motor be rewired to single phase or would I need a converter?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

C.J.

gzig5
07-07-2006, 04:50 PM
C.J.,

I am not a SB expert but
1. it may be a Heavy (10L?) based on the spindle bore, I thought the 9-10K were under 1" dia. Try looking here
http://www.lathes.co.uk/southbend/index.html
2. Handles should move when lathe is stopped. Make sure lead screw is disengaged on the apron, and try jiggling the chuck while pulling out on the handle. You do know that you pull the handle out and then move it sideways? They may just be gunked up.
3. The only tooling you need to get started is a lantern tool holder that can be had for $20 or so, $100 for a full quick change, four jaw ~$100. Mine didn't have the taper attachment, which if you don't need it will bring 150-200 easy. If I saw it running a good Heavy10 is worth $1000-2000 to me, depending on condition. About half that for a 10k. Not that they don't go higher or lower on ebone.
4. A three phase motor can not be re-wired to single phase. You need either a VFD, a phase converter (static or rotary), or a new single phase motor.

Hope this helps.
Greg

btr-cj
07-08-2006, 06:40 AM
Thanks for the reply.

I think I will go and see if I can take it home.
I will let you know.

Thanks,

C.J.

btr-cj
07-08-2006, 08:11 PM
Fed Spec # 00-L-125
South Bend # CC9010AB
Order # AF09-603-23090
Stock # 8100-440000
Spindle bore at left is 1.27
Bed C To C seams to be about 32”
Motor is ¾ HP 3 phase

The Serial # RKK12
R- 10 Inch
K - Quick Change Gear (QCG),
Friction Feed Apron,
Underneath Motor Drive (UMD)
K - Taper Key Lock Spindle

Does anyone know what a friction feed apron and a taper key lock spindle are?

There were about 7 people looking at it but only 4 of us bid on it.
Everyone else dropped out at $350.
It took about 1 hour for the grin to ware off my face. I still can not believe it. I usually get out bid big time at this auction.

I have to unload it off my trailer tomorrow. I think I will but it by my back door so I will see it a couple times a day.

Thanks,

C.J.

Frank46
07-09-2006, 03:13 AM
C.J, Hi from new iberia, loosiana. Now all you have to do is start getting tool catalogs fron Enco, Travers Tool, Manhattan Supply Corp, Grizzly, McMaster-carr just to name a few. I'm quite sure Buckshot and others can also give you the names of tool supply houses that are guaranteed to separate you from your hard earned money. Did you by any chance get any tooling with your lathe??. Frank

btr-cj
07-09-2006, 07:35 AM
Hi frank,

All it came with was a 3 jaw chuck. But I am not complaining too much.

I am starting to patrol eBay for a 4 jaw chuck. This lathe has a odd spindle but I has some kind of adapter on it. Will have to see what the adaptor does and what kind of fitting hit has.

I do have a 7x12 mini lathe set up now so I have already been exposed to the supply catalog / wallet vacuum syndrome.

I am about to go and get it unloaded from my trailer before it gets too hot outside.

C.J.

TCLouis
07-09-2006, 10:11 PM
feel my envy from clear up here. For that price one can afford a bunch . . . BUNCH of tooling. I only wish the bore on mine was over 1.25".

I found with mine that I like to use 3/8 cutting tools and a new (HOMEMADE) rocker for many projects, no cutting tool holder in that case. I do have all the appropriate 1/4" cutting tool holders and cut-off tools.

Hated to, but had to turn a piece of wood in it the other day . . .
Total time including setup . . . 15 minutes.
Savings for home made repair part vs store bought part about 15 bucks.

Hey, at that rate I'm making 60 bucks an hour.

Good tools that one can really use ALWAYS PAY FOR THEMSELVES.

brayhaven
07-10-2006, 09:38 AM
That sure seems big for a spindle bore on those machines. Are you measuring it at the nose or inside at the end of the internal taper ? I'm no expert on SB's either (at least not the lathes :o).
Greg

Buckshot
07-10-2006, 01:15 PM
............CJ, yup that'd be a Heavy 10 as the spindle bore is the same as my 11" Logan (which is given variously as 1-3/8 or 1-5/16").

"..............Does anyone know what a friction feed apron and a taper key lock spindle are?"

I'm thinking the friction feed apron may be that it has a clutch (containing several friction disc's) to transmit long and crossfeed power. My Logan has such and you can adjust it for tension. I think it's a kind of safety thing so if you were standing there picking your nose or scratching your ass and crashed the apron or got overzelous in your cutting you wouldn't bust anything in the gear train.

The taper key lock spindle I at first thought might be a L00 spindle nose as they are DESCRIBED as long taper keyed spindle noses, but they're CALLED L00. If so, why not call it L00 instead of giving the description? If the spindle is threaded then I have no idea what that taper keyed thing might be. Prolly something South Bendish :-)

"..................I can not move the levers on the quick change gear box. Is this normal for a machine that is not running? I have no way to plug it in to test it."

Well, the ONLY time you'd want to move them is when the lathe is stopped. They should have a spring loaded knob or portion of the end of the handle that pulls out. This pulls a pin out of the front of the QC box that's used to hold the handle in position. When the pin is pulled out the handle should just fall down if you let it go.

The SB heavy 10 is a good machine. They used plain bearings on the spindle and these were oiled via wick oilers. Often these are all gummed and crudded up. You should check them out well before running the machine. Get a good flex spout pump oil gun and do ALL the oil spots. Get the South Bend book, "How to Run a Lathe", and then you can also get a manual for it too. You'll need a gallon of spindle oil and a gallon of Way oil too. Enco has them for about $14/gallon.

Go to the Home Shop Machinists or the Practical Machinists BB and do a search for "ENCO Free Shipping". There'll be a code you can enter where ENCO will pay the shipping on orders over $50. And getting one over $50 ain't no problem :-)

..............Buckshot

Underclocked
07-10-2006, 04:07 PM
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi/forum/17.html?

?? :)

btr-cj
07-11-2006, 10:52 AM
What the serial number said this spindle should be was a “Taper Key Lock Spindle”. Last night I pulled the chuck off and what I have is a “Cam Lock Spindle”. I think it is a D1-4 cam lock. SB only lists a D1-4, D1-6 and D1-8 but someone pointed me to a site with cam lock specs so I will make sure of what I have. It has 3 posts for the cam lock. I am thinking someone has changed the spindle at one point in its life.

This machine came with a 3 jaw chuck on an adapter for the Cam lock system but someone spot welded the chuck to the adapter plate. I will have to find or make a new adapter to use any other chuck.

The only other chucks I think would be needed soon after firing it up is a 4 jaw chuck but am in no hurry for it. It will be awhile before I can run the lathe. I need a converter, a VFD or need to replace the motor with a single phase motor.

I asked whether I should change the spindle to a screw type on the HSM and PM site and the consensus is keeping the cam lock. That is just fine with me. Now I need to monitor eBay for some stuff.

brayhaven, That is measured at the left side of the spindle. This spindle with its 1.25 hole is actually smaller then a normal Heavy 10 of 1 3/8”. The normal 1 3/8’ bore allows you to use 5c collets with a draw tube. That would be a nice feature but I guess I can live without it. The 1.25’ bore is still good enough for a barrel to fit in.

Buckshot, The quick change gear box is working now but needs a lot of cleaning as does the whole lathe. I am really considering a complete tare down for cleaning, inspection and lubing. It needs it. I do not want to start it in it's present condition. Like you said, no telling what condition the wicks are in or if it is getting proper lubrication. I do have “How to Run A Lathe” but need to get a manual for this lathe.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/btr-cj/SpindleNose.jpg
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/btr-cj/ChuckBack.jpg
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/btr-cj/Install.jpg

Thanks,
C.J.

dragonrider
07-11-2006, 03:20 PM
Your chuck is mounted on a faceplate, you can get a D1-4 adapter to mount directly to the chuck. At the PM site someone will know where to get it.

Also on your spindle did you remove the camlock on the top or is it missing,

btr-cj
07-11-2006, 08:44 PM
Unfortunately I have a D1-3 spindle. I will have to spend a little more for my adapters. The good thing is I think I still go the lathe at a good price.

I was happy at the prospect of having a D1-4 when I was pointed to an 8” adapter at HF for $45. I checked the specks on a site and it looks like the D1-3.
Now I will have to look for D1-3 plates. I will make sure I am sitting when I price them. I only need a couple so it should not be too bad.

I will start checking eBay often. Right now I will concentrate on cleaning and lubing the lathe and getting it ready to power up. Still need to decide witch option to use VFD or converter or maybe just change the motor.

Dragonrider, I do have the locks. I took them off when I removed the chuck.

Thanks for everyone’s help.

C.J.

Buckshot
07-12-2006, 03:17 AM
.............CJ, I agree and believe you are thinking right if you were to disassemble, clean, re-new and put the lathe back together. Might as well paint it too :-) You'll know exactly where you are and what you have when you're done.

Before too much longer I have to pull the variable speed assembly out of the cabinet of my Logan. The countershaft with the VS pully has 3 sealed bearings and the one at the back (natch!) is 'ticking'.

I think you'd be wise to stick with the 3~ motor if at all possible. A smoother cut and more torque.

...............Buckshot

Blueknight2520
07-12-2006, 12:16 PM
C..J.

if you need help building a phaze converter drope me a note. i have plans for a one and built a nice 3hp one. I added automatic saftys to and remote start. Also i might have a extra 4 jaw chuck to fit your machine i would part with reasonable. Ill have to get some help to dig it out. You wont an original 4 jaw chuck or would a tiwanese one do you?

BK

I have a small 7x12 lathe I use now but am looking at a 10” South Bend for sale locally.

It looks to be a Heavy 10 but I am not sure. The Serial Number is 6964RKK12.

It comes only with a face plate with a 3 jaw chuck, a taper attachment and a tailstock. The cross slide is complete but there are no more tooling with it.

The only other accessories I think I would need soon are a 4 jaw chuck and a drill chuck arbor for the tail stock.

The spindle hole is about 1.265. I laid a strait edge on the top of the ways and they look good. All the gears I can see seam to be in good shape with no obvious ware to them. All metal looks in good shape.

A few questions.

1) By the serial number can you tell me if it is a heavy?
2) I can not move the levers on the quick change gear box. Is this normal for a machine that is not running? I have no way to plug it in to test it.
3) Seeing how expensive tooling for this lathe is on eBay, how much would you pay?
4) Can this motor be rewired to single phase or would I need a converter?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

C.J.

btr-cj
07-14-2006, 10:18 AM
I just got off the phone with Ted in the parts dept. of Leblond.

Lathe was delivered to Warner Robbins Air Force Base on 12-15-1953.

It is definitely a D1-3 spindle nose.

I ordered a manual for it.

Thanks,

C.J.