PDA

View Full Version : Target Stand

Bucks Owin
07-07-2006, 01:47 PM
I can't claim to be the designer of this handy and inexpensive target stand, I swiped the idea from Jim Carmichel. But it's a dandy....

It's comprised of four 10' lengths of 1.5" PVC pipe and fittings, elbows, etc as shown. The two "target frames" themselves are glued together as two units but the feet and top crossbar are left removable for easy transport. The "frames" can be used singly or stacked as shown, with targets in both frames. The frame sides were cut on a tablesaw so as to leave a "slot" for the target backing to slide into. Dense foam insulation as sold in sheets are the best material for backing but cardboard, plywood etc can be used too....

It's quite steady in a breeze but for really windy conditions the bottom part of the lower frame and the feet can be filled with water. (Or sand)

Works for me! :-D

Dennis

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/BucksOwin/Targe005.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/BucksOwin/Targe006.jpg

Bucks Owin
07-23-2006, 11:25 AM
UPDATE:

I've discovered via some long range handgunning that this stand will "stand up" to bullet strikes pretty well too! [smilie=1:

Dennis

Rick N Bama
07-23-2006, 03:57 PM
I use a target stand made from PVC Pipe as well.

Hint: Don't glue the joints, makes it cheaper to replace parts as they are shot, oops, I mean are worn out:roll:

Rick

Possum
07-23-2006, 04:15 PM
I use a similar setup w/PVC. Mine uses tobacco sticks for the horizontal support so I can replace it if needed. For stability in windy conditions, the tent pegs at Wal Mart are excellent. For a few dollars you can get 4 pegs that will stake the pvc down into the ground. I have been staking across the pvc, but I was thinking if you drill a hole in the legs you can stick the pin directly through the PVC and into the ground.

Crash_Corrigan
07-23-2006, 08:59 PM
Here in Vegas the ground is caliche. It is similiar to conrete. You cannot drive a peg into it. Most builders blast to make a hole in that danged stuff. I also use PVC but I weight it with concrete blocks or local stones to keep the light targets upright in the constant wind here. Dan:Fire:

Blackwater
07-24-2006, 02:00 AM
Good idea. I've been making my target stands from wood 2x2's for many years. With them, you just screw a screw eyed bolt into each side, and then you can use a tent spike and some twine or rope to anchor them if wind looks to be a problem. I often shoot over planted fields, so I have to build my target frames pretty tall, just so I can actually see the target over the planted crops. Tall frames really don't like wind, so I thunk up the little screw eye thingy with the tent stakes. That works too.

versifier
07-24-2006, 11:08 AM
My portable target holder is a real estate sign. The metal points sink into the ground easily and it is stable in wind. I cut a piece of foam insulation to fit in the center for paper targets or simply hang reactive targets from the top rail. There is a lot of real estate changing hands around here and many of the "house pimps" make their living selling the same buildings once or twice a year. :rolleyes: There are always plenty of signs to be had, some for the asking, others just happen to find their way into the backs of pickups, trunks, etc. [smilie=1:

357maximum
07-24-2006, 06:00 PM
Vote for me signs work real well on the cheap also.