PDA

View Full Version : 99 Savage

Denver
07-07-2006, 01:10 PM
Just came from a local garage sale that had a 99 Savage in 300 Sav cal. Average condition with a cheap top mounted scope, The forend had a hole bored in it just back from the tip that is chipped out and the stock has a compass inletted into it. The guy is asking $300. My only interest would be for trading stock or resale, but really don't know what they go for. Any ideas?

:castmine:

versifier
07-08-2006, 01:32 PM
Depending upon its age, that is somewhere between a very good deal and a gift from the gods. The alteration to the stock is a minus, but original stocks can be had if one is patient. It is a great hunting rifle and will likely be very cast friendly. The short neck of the case requires a little extra care in boolit seating, but that's no problem to anyone with any handloading experience. I'd snap it up ASAP before someone else discovers it. You will always be able to get what you have in it, and can likely make a respectable profit on it, assuming you don't fall in love with it and have to keep it! There are rifles, carbines, & takedowns in a number of letter-designated variant styles depending on date of manufacture and the features that changed over time. The newest ones have a detachable magazine and are the least valuable (worth about the asking price of the one you found), though handier for hunting. The pre-war takedown rifles are among the most valuable variants and in the finer grade can be worth several thousand dollars or more to the right collector. The oldest ones have brass followers in their rotary magazines and Schnabel forends - those are easy features to spot. I load for several in different calibers and think highly of them.

Denver
07-08-2006, 02:51 PM
This one has a 24 inch barrel, schnabel forend, brass counter, lever safety,and cocking indicater.The worst thing about it is someone drilled a hole through the forend about 3/8 diameter just behind the tip that is also chipped out. Don't know what the hole was for. Maybe a sling swivel? The bluing is fair with case color on the lever that is fading. I think I'll grab it.

Bent Ramrod
07-08-2006, 05:22 PM
Denver,

Unless the barrel and receiver are drilled full of holes as well, you are looking at a rifle that goes from $500 to $750 at gun shows in this neck of the woods. A wooden plug with matching grain can be fitted into that hole and refinished to near invisibility. The early 99's with the brass counters and the lever safeties are more of interest to collectors than the later ones, unless the latter were short-lived models or unusual calibers. Check the Savage Collectors' forum at 24hour campfire. they should be able to tell you what model you have, when it was made, how valuable, etc.

The 99 isn't made anymore, to the anguish of its many admirers. Good specimens will only get more desirable over the years.

versifier
07-08-2006, 07:32 PM
Wow, you have walked into a good one! Like I said, original stocks can be had by a patient man, and that action alone is worth around $500 hereabouts. Let us know how she shoots!

StarMetal
07-08-2006, 08:10 PM
versi,

I'll tell you one that will make you envious. My friend bought a 99 savage, an early original in 303 Savage with a tappered octogon barrel, with german silver blade front sight, the mannlicher rotary type magazine with counter, in MINT condition, I'd say high 90's percent, and not refinished either, for $150 and a butchered 7.7 Jap rifle that someone set the barrel back on and chambered to 300 Savage, unknowingly, which really turns out to be a 303-300 Savage or 7.7-300 Savage. Definately not a good way to shoot factory 30 caliber 300 Savage ammo.

Me, I'm never that lucky to find a deal like that.

Joe

Denver
07-09-2006, 10:42 AM
I picked up 99 this morning. Unfortunately, in addition to the top mounted scope I mentioned earlier, it does have several other plugged holes in the left receiver side, probably for an earlier side mount.
I think I can load a few rounds using my 308 Win dies. The only cast boolit I have that should work with the short neck, is the Lee C312-155 that works great in my Ruger 77 7.62x39. Should be able to use the same load data for cast boolits in the 300 Sav, as the 308 Win. I don't try to hotrod my cast loads, so all should be well.

More later, :castmine: :Fire: