PDA

View Full Version : Loading practices - Powder dispenser

captaint
03-24-2010, 12:47 PM
Somebody help me out here. While reading the latest Handloader, I see Charles Petty loadin up some ammo. There's the Redding BR whatever dispenser with the provided baffle up in the middle of the hopper!!??. What on earth is THAT supposed to do. I mean, I made a baffle like that for my RCBS dispenser. However mine always goes on the very bottom of the hopper. That way it keeps the weight of the powder off the area just above the drum. This way, it doesn't matter how much powder is in the hopper - the small amount that sits above the drum is constant - always the same. Thus - uniform charges. And it does work as it should.
Now, I'm not beatin up on Charles Petty. Just puzzled as to why someone would place the baffle up in the middle of the column of powder. Somebody is going to have to go a long way to convince me this serves any purpose whatsoever.....
I just found this puzzling - that's all. Not that me being puzzled is all that unusual!!:wink::wink:

Blammer
03-24-2010, 01:04 PM
middle, upper or lower it will keep the powder the same "pressure" as long as the hopper is filled above the baffle.

454PB
03-24-2010, 01:08 PM
I can see your point, my powder measure is usually about half full.

However, one of my most accurate powder measures is an old Herter, and it has no baffle at all.

looseprojectile
03-24-2010, 01:51 PM
Old Pacific --- does everything a measure is supposed to do, I'm baffled!

Life is good

geargnasher
03-24-2010, 01:59 PM
middle, upper or lower it will keep the powder the same "pressure" as long as the hopper is filled above the baffle.

Bingo. My RCBS measure won't throw consistent charges with some powders unless I increase the "pressure" by raising the baffle a bit, but it remains consistent as long as powder doesn't go below the baffle.

Gear

montana_charlie
03-24-2010, 04:59 PM
I just found this puzzling - that's all.
You're puzzled? I'm baffled.
CM

runfiverun
03-24-2010, 10:04 PM
i have that same powder measure and i tried the baffle every where in the tube.
it had to be the touchiest measure i have.
i took out the baffle totally and marked two lines on the hopper and keep the powder between those lines it will throw 50 charges and never vary more than a tenth.
i notice he has it v side down i might try that, or not, i like it now.

mike in co
03-24-2010, 10:24 PM
the object of the baffle is to make it look like a given amount of powder to the metered hole.

by putting it v up and low, you can have a very small variation for most of the measures volume.

by puttin git in the middle it would do the same but for less total volume.

and with it upside down, i believe, it is doing nothing.

i have 2, one large micrometer head, one small micrometer head...both with baffles.

they are plus or minus .1 for a bunch of powders, but not large stick.

mike in co

Ford SD
03-24-2010, 11:10 PM
I have a RCBS measure NO BAFFLE and one of the thing i have learned to do is

When i fill the hopper i tap the out side with a couple of fingers (lightly) to settle the powder then throw a couple of charges and throw them in the top

than set / check with a scale

did 100 rounds using unique and after setting the charge to what i wanted by the scale and did not touch it again

checked 1, 2,3, 4 10, 20, 30 etc to 100 and did not adjustment knob at all and all charges checked were very very close to the first charge set:mrgreen:

captaint
03-25-2010, 01:50 AM
OK, I'm back from work now. I'm thinking it's possible some of you guys have never seen one of these things close up. Like in your hand close up. Not having seen one you would have no idea where I'm coming from. My measure came without a baffle. Worked fine - no problems. But after seeing one I made my own and love it. I think the Uniflow is probably slightly more consistent with.
My real point is - if you use one PUT IT WHERE IT BELONGS. ON THE BOTTOM OF THE HOPPER!! enjoy MIke

captaint
03-25-2010, 01:55 AM
Pardon me, I should have said IN the bottom of the hopper. See, now I'm baffled. Nothing new!! Mike

mike in co
03-25-2010, 05:56 AM
Pardon me, I should have said IN the bottom of the hopper. See, now I'm baffled. Nothing new!! Mike

at the bottom of the hopper....lol

steg
03-25-2010, 01:51 PM
You Guys have me baffeled, but that's not hard to do !

pdawg_shooter
03-25-2010, 02:53 PM
I have a RCBS and a Hornady, both without baffles. I simply put a funnel in top and keep powder in the funnel. Keeps the measure filled to the same level at all times.

Wayne Smith
03-26-2010, 07:46 AM
I have now read two separate experiments that must have totaled ten or more different powder measures. The result of thousands of throws is that there is no stastical differences with or without a baffle.

Your results may vary. I've never bothered.

dabsond
03-26-2010, 10:07 AM
There was a pretty good write up of powder dispensers on another site. Here is the link http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2005/powdermeasure/index.asp

mike in co
03-26-2010, 11:32 AM
TAKE AN RCBS with a small chamber add 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 powder and see if that all throw the same with out and with a baffle.

now you need a decent scale, a uniform throw and setlle the powder first.

do this with ball, stick and flake powders...they will all be different.

one test showed the lee as one of the best.

accuracy is in the eye of the beholder.

sometimes plus or minus 0.1 is ok with me. plus or minus.2 is never, and sometimes i use my lab scale with is a bunch better than plus or minus 0.1( as in 0.02).

mike in co

mike in co
03-26-2010, 11:40 AM
There was a pretty good write up of powder dispensers on another site. Here is the link http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2005/powdermeasure/index.asp

he appears to have only checked with a full resevoir, and his baffle is esp no good as powder lowers it will change pressue sine there is a hole in the middle...direct tower weight on the hole.

his solid mounting is great info...pointed out yrs ago in an article in precision shooting.

mike in co

Bad Water Bill
03-27-2010, 06:29 AM
In the 60s I started reloading. At that time I also met a research chemest from Germany. She took one look at the reloading equipment and said Ohaus scale and Lyman powder measure. I took her advice and have not regretted it once. Smart girl so I married her.

I have tried other measures but the Lyman never needed an additional part to produce larger or smaller amounts of powder. I have enough equipment filed away for reloading, I do not want to try and remember where drum b, c, or d is stored.

It works for me.

buck1
03-27-2010, 07:35 PM
I do like the baffle. As I use the powder measure the powder columb gets more and more packed. It does seem to help a bit.

captaint
03-27-2010, 09:00 PM
One thing for sure here fellas, without operator consistency, nothing will help!! I also have a Harrell's and can't actually say it's better or worse in terms of consistent charges. It does adjust better though. Happy Sat nite all Mike