PDA

View Full Version : Increase temp range on RCBS ProMelt

sharps4065
03-24-2010, 04:24 AM
I have an RCBS ProMelt which I want to make either get hotter than than the 825 deg it currently maxes at or bypass the rheostat completely. I want to control the temp using a temp sensor/power supply controller I have. Any ideas how I can achieve this without having to hack about inside it too much?

Cheers
Clive (from across the pond)

Casting Timmy
03-24-2010, 06:57 PM
The low cost method would be insulating the current temperature sensor. Although this also has the negative effect of further removing the sensor from the heater. When the system calls for heat the heater will heat beyond it's ideal state until the heat soaks the insulating material enough to tell the sensor it's at the correct temperature.

If you want to wire the heater to a controller and a relay set up. You can jump the current control device in the pot with a wire or connect the wires to the heating element directly. If you do something like this I would recommend changing the plug on the pot or wiring it directally to the controller's relay. This way you can't forget and plug it into the wall. Depending on the watt denisty of the element, it can start melting parts you don;t want it too.

sharps4065
03-25-2010, 09:54 AM
Thanks Timmy, appreciate the advice.

Clive