PDA

View Full Version : my chrony cast bullet set up

canuck4570
03-23-2010, 09:00 AM
A few time I hit my chrony with falling gaz check
also I found the shooting through the small window left me with no error in the set up
well I made a protector for the chrony this way no flying off gaz check would hit it
and double the size of the window by putting pieces of close hanger to elevate the shades
also widen the window by spreading the anchor for the shade pegs.
works fine no problem with the reading and no more hits with gaz check
I put the scope cross hair about 2 inches below the shade. this way I am certain to shoot high enough no to shoot the chrony....

http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww57/michelmongrain/IMG_0583.jpg

http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww57/michelmongrain/IMG_0584.jpg

03-23-2010, 09:58 AM
Your modifications are impressive. I have the cheaper model of chrony so I will have to use a clear material to see velocities but you have given me an idea as to what to do to protect my chrony (i have not yet shot GC boolits over it yet). I like how you have isolated the rods from the unit itself-the solid steel rods transfer alot of shock to the unit if hit (dont ask). I have replaced the stock rods with aluminum tubes (at hobby shops) and carry extras.

markinalpine
03-23-2010, 01:04 PM
Did you know that if you hit one of those steel support rods just right, it can disappear forever? :groner:

Mark :bigsmyl2:

mpmarty
03-23-2010, 01:10 PM
I replaced my stock metal rods for the sky screens with wooden dowels of the same diameter. Less shock and awe if I hit one with a wild shot.

Wally
03-23-2010, 01:10 PM
Replace them with plastic soda straws..

captain-03
03-23-2010, 02:08 PM
Some great ideas here -- One of the reasons I love this site!! Thanks for sharing -- now off to the shop!!

Artful
03-23-2010, 02:20 PM
I paint my shade supports - have wood, and brass tubing from hobby shot thats to my wild psitol shooting - made section with Red about 2 inch above the screens to about 6 inch above the screen (the window I want the bullet to go thru) then yellow the rest of the way with a few black strips for level check. so if I start to get my cross hairs in the red I know I've gone too low.

Oh, and did you know a little velcro patch on the sky screen will hold one of those cheap LED hockey-puck lights right over the sensor so you don't have to fight with the early morning sun ( heck they even work at night, but of course you need a light on the target as well.

canuck4570
03-23-2010, 03:05 PM
good idea to replace the steel post with either straw or wood dowels
Will break easy and transmit less shock..... thank you.....
me to of the the shop

45-70 Chevroner
03-23-2010, 07:56 PM
I mounted a 1/4"X 4"X6" piece of plexiglass to a 3/4" thick 2" wide X 6" long piece of pine wood . I cut a grove in th piece of wood 1/4" wide and 1/4" deep with a radial arm saw glued the plexiglass shield in the grove and wa la no more gas check damage to the crony and I can still see the crony screen. I actually had some holes in the plastic face of the corny caused by GCs that came off the boolit.
If any one is interested in one of these I will make them for free and and you pay the shipping. I have a limited supply of plexiglass so I can't make very many.