PDA

View Full Version : Up Grade!

dk17hmr
07-05-2006, 11:37 PM
It is a well known fact around these parts that I am a college student, with almost nothing investented into my castin equipment. I am starting to progress, comin back across the state on the 4th with my mom and dad we came into a town (Howard City maybe) that was having a flea market. Of course we stopped, walkin around the many vendors I come across a Coleman 2 burner gas camp stove with a $20 tag on it. I got to lookin it over and it was all there and in pretty good condition, the guy running the tables said Ill make you a deal on that one $15 and its yours, I said to him "that not much of a deal your only takin $5 off, I have a $10 bill right here that says you dont have to load it back up when you dont sell it" he thought about it for about 1 minute and said "you mean you had a $10 bill", then my dad bought a Coleman 3 burner from the same guy for $30.

I cleaned it all up, had old gas in the tank, and put fresh gas in it and fired it, works great. It is alot better then my single burner I used for the first 3000 bullets I have made.

Ill post a pic later of my find, so far I am very happy with it, that bigger tank last alot longer then the old single.

DK

Vegas Vince
07-06-2006, 12:32 AM
dk17hm, A lot of years ago, 1968 maybe 69 I bought a used colman two burner stove and a cast iron pot. I think i gave the guy $2.00 for the colman & 25 cents of the pot. I used both for over 15 years. I still have both but use a Lee pro pot and a small electric burner to melt the WW. The colman will serve you well. The only problem today is the fuel. Don't know haw much a gallon is today but back then you could get white gas for .20 to .25 cents a gallon. Enjoy your casting time.:drinks:

Vince

454PB
07-06-2006, 12:44 AM
Sounds like you're getting your haggling skills honed, good for you!

I'm still using a Coleman stove and lantern (for camping, not casting) that I bought 35 years ago. For camping, I still prefer the old wet fuel over the newer propane equipment, old fashioned I guess. Besides, those square cans of Coleman fuel don't roll around like those little propane bottles.

David R
07-06-2006, 07:45 AM
You can use pump gas. The "white gas" was unleaded fuel. The lead would plug the orfice in the generator. Its a catylitic thing. Now that all our cars have a catylic converter, they can't use the lead either. I ran mine for years on pump gas. Watch the grate, it gets red and bends with over 20 lbs of lead in a cast pot.

David

Bucks Owin
07-06-2006, 12:39 PM
Sounds like you're getting your haggling skills honed, good for you!

I'm still using a Coleman stove and lantern (for camping, not casting) that I bought 35 years ago. For camping, I still prefer the old wet fuel over the newer propane equipment, old fashioned I guess. Besides, those square cans of Coleman fuel don't roll around like those little propane bottles.

Yep, there's nothing like the smell of coffee and burning Coleman fuel in the morning! Always reminds me of the many trips in the great outdoors I spent with my Dad...

Dennis

BTW David. Yes you "can" use unleaded fuel but it's not as clean as Coleman white gas and has some unnecessary additives. I only use it in a pinch....

44woody
07-06-2006, 06:52 PM
DK17HMR go down to your local walmart and get yourself a small grill that will cover the one that is on the stove now after a while burning white gas the one that is on there now will start to sag and become unsafe :castmine: 44Woody

kodiak1
07-06-2006, 07:19 PM
Sounds to me like some poor old fella lost ten bucks on his old camp stove and the USA has another seretary of Finance up and coming.
Way to go dk17.
Ken.

NVcurmudgeon
07-06-2006, 09:03 PM
I am still using my two burner Coleman for casting and smelting with complete satisfaction. It also works well as a camp stove. My wife doesn't mind lead spatters IF I do all the camp cooking! Cheapest fuel I have found is "Ozark Trail" from Wally's, about the only thing I buy there.

454PB: propane scares Hell out of me because of one of its less-endearing qualities, being heavier than air.

dk17hmr
07-06-2006, 10:23 PM
Woody, I worked at ACE hardware in town here when I was in High School and still have a good friendship with the Manager, Im getting him into casting, gave him some of my bullets to try, and I mentioned to him I need a different grill for it mostly because it is spaced to wide and my pot is tippy. We went into the back room and found so old grate that was used in a display or something that should have been pitched when the display was taken down, he gave it to me free, thats why I gave him some bullets.

DK

Marshal Kane
07-08-2006, 11:15 AM
I need a different grill for it mostly because it is spaced to wide and my pot is tippy. DKSame reason I bought a Weber bbq grill for my turkey fryer although my cast iron casserole dish has a wide, flat base. The spacing on the turkey fryer was a little too wide.

44woody
07-08-2006, 11:56 AM
dk17hmr now you are stasrting to learn how to do this hobbie of our on the cheep side that is a good thing to learn keep it up and you will have some fine shooting times ahead of you 44woody

357maximum
07-08-2006, 12:18 PM
dk17hmr

I am proud of you, you actually went to the six lakes flea market and were able to dicker one of "them" vendors down, good for you...... It can be very hard to do..those vendors are there every day in the summmer, that is kinda their job, or retirement I guess, some of them can be hard to deal with. I have left there two out of three times empty handed. I did manage a box of old reloading shtuff a year ago for 15 bucks, it had a minnie mold in 54 and a 20 gauge slug mold in it, plus a bunch of dies and books, I still have not went through all the dies...

Michael

I fixed it, and yes it was just a slip, sorry bout that, nothing derrogitory meant, implied or anything of that nature, my bad...

omgb
07-08-2006, 04:40 PM
Quote " am proud of you, you actually went to the six lakes flea market and were able to jew one of "them" vendors down" I suppose it was just a slip an not an intended slur, but use of the term "jew" in this case is a pejorative which will rightly offend a great many folks.,

357maximum
07-08-2006, 05:18 PM
Nothing bad meant, it was just a slip of the tongue, and I am sorry if anybody got their feelings hurt, no evil was meant.

I fixed the offending word, I spend alot of time in the Holland area and it is just a common forn of speech there, and I guess I did not think about someones feelings getting hurt by it. I am not a purveyor of speach, so you will either forgive me or hate me forever, for what was truly a non issue to me.

Michael

omgb
07-08-2006, 06:37 PM
You are square with me. I am very sensitive to anti-semitism or remarks that may unintentionally promote it. I've know several men and women in my life who bear the SS tattoos from their times in the camps and I have great respect for them and what they suffered. One of my cousins died in a camp for his role in smuggling Jews out of Denmark. So, I bristle when I hear the word. To be fair, I didn't think for a minute that you were making an antisemitic remark. I was fairly certain that it was inadvertent. However, I hate to feed the skinhead kluckers that lurk all over the place so, I spoke up. Apology accepted. Subject over and dropped.

Jumptrap
07-08-2006, 09:25 PM
omgb,

My sister is a James Madison Fellow...what is the signifigance of that?

Anti-semitism....I am so damned tired of folks carrying a public torch for some cause...whether it be religion, race or politics....because ultimately they, like you, step to the fore to call somebody's hand, to police their casual remarks to make them acceptable by you. Yeah, IT PISSES ME OFF!

I am free, white, and way past 21. My ancestors came here in the 1600's and in looking back SOME of them were Jews (Ebbermann's and Neumann's) .....well, to hell with them. We, the living, and for the last couple of centuries the majority of my family are CHRISTIANS. I don't see anybody running any Christian anti-defamation League for us. It was the Christian world who rose up and set the Jews in Nazi's camps free. It is a nation composed of mostly Christians (that'd be the USA) who financially and militarily makes the existence of Israel possible today. You think different? HAR! If it wasn't for the support of this nation, the Muslim world would snuff Israel in a matter of weeks if not days. But that is another story in and of itself.

The imprisonment in Nazi concentration camps happened, absolutely no denying the grizzly fact of that. It was given a name by the Jews.....The Holocaust. Now, Holocaust is a household word due to being spread everywhere. Did the Gypsies and insane and Jehovah Witnesses coin a term to connect the concentration camps to their misery and imprisonment? NO!

Hear any Gypsies supporters crying foul when somebody gets ripped off and claims to have been Gyped? Well, do you? Hear any Christians screaming defamation when any person or group pushing their cause, has said cause referred to as a Crusade? HAR!

Get off it. People get Jewed (bargained down), Gyped (ripped off) and hold Crusades (public causes) every day. Semantics and Semantism are two different things, which any learned Fellow should know.

And by the way, I won't apologise for a word I have stated here. Don't have to, shouldn't be expected to and will not. Like Tom Petty sings, You can stand me up at the Gates of Hell but I Won't Back Down.

The days when free men and women of this country can no longer speak their minds or make a comment because some idealogue sings foul, has got to stop.

felix
07-08-2006, 10:11 PM
Jump, the truth be known, don't all white folks have family members from one of the 12 tribes? Just a bet on my part that everyone on this board except for a few without any caulk for blood have Abraham/Jacob to thank? ... felix

Jumptrap
07-08-2006, 11:05 PM
Jump, the truth be known, don't all white folks have family members from one of the 12 tribes? Just a bet on my part that everyone on this board except for a few without any caulk for blood have Abraham/Jacob to thank? ... felix

Felix,

Spot on! When the tribes were taken into captivity and dispersed over the Caucasus Mtns., they went everywhere and assimilated into every culture. My geneology search turned up the Neumann's and Ebbermann's (morphed into Newman and Everman). I have seen pictures of Jewish luggage in concetration camp pictures with the name Neumann plainly inscribed. Okay, **** happens. The Serbs pulled the same stunt about 10 years ago in Bosnia. It'll happen some other place in the future. Those events in Eurpoe happened 60+ years ago. It's over, give it a friggin rest already. I am damned tired of people demanding special status and recognition due to some event that occured to their ancestors. What is sadder yet, is the dupes who have boughten into the ruse. Shut the hell up! I don't care how they choose to worship God.....go forth and do so, happily. But leave it at that. To expect me to kiss their ass due to the color of their skin, their language or religion is above the peale of reason.

357maximum
07-08-2006, 11:27 PM
...........wow..............

Subject over and dropped.

apparently NOT

454PB
07-09-2006, 12:14 AM
Uhhh....don't forget to oil the leathers in the pump on that Coleman tank.

felix
07-09-2006, 08:37 AM
Yep, we ALL need to UPGRADE in unison. Christ picked 12 apostles. 12 tribes? One of the apostles sold out for another God (money), and I just hope none of us caulks have that blood. Christ Himself said that He would take care of the non-caulks (the real gentlemen?). So, when we add it all up, He knew the 12 tribes were/are tough nuts to crack and thus he had to choose this blood line as the chosen one. Yes, there is a war for souls which will never end until the end. ... felix

Oldfeller
07-09-2006, 08:48 AM
Hee hee hee ...... you got Jumped

Congratulations

Nice to see an occasional post that reminds me of our roots, both as a list and as a country.

Oldfeller

------------------------------

What! Jumped!? You can't say that, that is VERY offensive to some folks around here as you can't be casting any aspersions on our surviving senior members, the very few left that aren't at least super moderators anyway.

Shame on you !!!

Jumptrap
07-09-2006, 10:40 AM
Kelly,

Honestly, I like everybody here....several don't like me, but that is their personal perogative. Some may chant..No Wonder.....but that is of no consequence to me.

I hate to see anybody called down because of some innocent slang term they use....especially one that was commonly used, until the Clinton regime and their brand of Political Correctness swept the nation. I liken the Clinton Adminstration to the Chinese Gang of Four (Jiang Qing/Hillary).

All my life, the use of 'jewing' when bartering for some article of goods has been used. It is well known that a Jew is close with a dollar and knows so well how to make and keep them. Therefore a Jew also knows how to haggle for the best deal. I find it more a compliment than a slur.

Getting gyped is a term from antiquity. History is full of how the Romany bands would come through towns and villages, offering such things as fortune telling, snake oil treatments, and what wasn't tied down, they stole..or ate. They are master conartists.....dealing with them most often results in being Gyped.

Gyped and Jewed....common terms.....neither refers specifically to a person's race or religion.......but to acts (good or bad) attributed to these people. Calling a black person a ****** refers to his race (negroid) specifically. That is what sets such a word apart as a denegration.

I don't care what color a person's hide is, where they came from, what claim they have (real or imagined) to being the chosen ones of God or what injustice their ancestors suffered. That needs to be left in the past where it belongs. Whatever it was, it's over. The rest of us don't need to be reminded for evermore, in hopes somebody wont kick their ass again, haul them off in bondage, or persecute them.

StarMetal
07-09-2006, 11:02 AM
Jump,

Exactly. Take the blacks, that slavery thing happened a long time ago. It's over, but the blacks won't let it be over. The only thing that is going to make it be over for them is the high flow of illegal Mexicans flowing into the country. The blacks are realizing now that they ARE NOT the minority anymore. They also realize that they are not in vogue anymore with the Democrats for votes...nope there's a gleam in the Democrats eyes over all those illegal immigrant votes...why ya think they want to give them citizenship and SS numbers? That's a whole other thing though. Back to the black....my family roots didn't get started in this great country until grandma and grandpa come over here in and around 1914, grandpa little earlier. So tell me, why do I have to follow the legal rulings for black rights since my folks did nothing to them? My family didn't haul their black asses over here, didn't use them as slaves over here. Why do I have to be penalized? Or any of you that have no ties to slavery, or for that fact ALL of us.

The very very first man I worked for when I got out of the Navy was a Jew. Bernard Kellman. A damn good man, friend, and mentor for the job I was doing, which was glass cutting. He taught me everything about it. I learned alot about the Jews and it was interesting. He was tight with the penny, but there's nothing wrong with that.

You're right about the term "got jewed or jewed him out of that". You forgot "wow I see you ****** rigged that" on your car (for example). I'm sure the baseball teams that have Indian names mean no disrespect to the Indians at all. It's like you said all this political correctness crap. I'm Italian, or got alot of Italian blood in me, and I've been called a Dago or a Whop and doesn't bother me one iota. Hell we all had slang names back in the "old" days. Dago's, Hunkie's, Jerry's, Rookie's, Jap's, Limey's, etc. Up north if you worked at a steelmill you were called a mill hunkie.

But don't worry Jump, it'll all get worse before it gets better. Remember in Italy, everytime you look out the window you see a Dago by.

Joe

Duckiller
07-09-2006, 01:59 PM
Starmetal and Jumptrap: I am very disappointed in both of you. I would suggest most polite people find religious,racial,or ethnic slurs as offensive as profanity. What are you going to do next, see how much profanity you can post. You are entitled to your opinions and can talk anyway you want around your friends. This board is international and I feel a certain amout of polite decorum shouls be observed. Duckiller

waksupi
07-09-2006, 02:49 PM
Well, I get so many emails from people around the world, board members and not, with lots of slurs involved. Some originate from the racial or social group, to which they belong. They are meant as humorous, and are taken as such. Want to see racist? Go into a minority neighborhood, and see how long you go unaccosted. Racism isn't just the perview of anglos.
I judge people individually, but if a particular group sets a track record from the representatives I meet, then yeah, I get damn racist, and am generally glad I'm packing a gun.
Get over it. The brainwashing by the liberal left, is not accepted by the general population.

dk17hmr
07-09-2006, 03:39 PM
So I like my Coleman..........

DK

ebner glocken
07-09-2006, 04:31 PM
Sounds like ya got a good deal on that coleman stove. When I was probably about 14 or so a friend of mine and me went in together on one for about twice that. The bad part of that it got me into this sickness of casting that I am still infected with to this day.....lol Group therapy has helped me with this as did a bottom pour pot and many moulds.

Jumptrap
07-09-2006, 04:56 PM
Starmetal and Jumptrap: I am very disappointed in both of you. I would suggest most polite people find religious,racial,or ethnic slurs as offensive as profanity. What are you going to do next, see how much profanity you can post. You are entitled to your opinions and can talk anyway you want around your friends. This board is international and I feel a certain amout of polite decorum shouls be observed. Duckiller

Considering where this message originated from, I take this as a concerted effort on your part to remain glued in one piece. Mr. Duckiller, I have been a member of this audience for several years now, and I've seen a passle of folks come and go. Some, I miss, Most, I don't. I hope you try to fit into the first catagory when your departure time arrives.

Free speech is my main priority, not free speech as predicated by the Liberal Left or other social experimenters. I have slurred no person. I came to the side of a person i don't even know here, who was called down because he used the term 'jewed'. That person could have just as well been you.

Think outside the box, assume a higher plane, choose to think for yourself, rather than what somebody tells you think or how to act.

redneckdan
07-09-2006, 06:17 PM
:hijack:

waksupi
07-09-2006, 07:21 PM
Doug, I had one of the old Coleman two-burners for years, and they are darn dependable. Many is the time I would park by a lake or stream, get the frying pan and oil ready, and start putting the world's freshest fish in for shore lunch. I must report I was totally ignorant of the intended use of such appliances, and didn't melt lead on one, until some years later. However, they will fry fish, in a pinch. Lost track of my good single burner pack stove. Sure do miss it!

See, we're back on topic!

georgeld
07-28-2006, 01:08 AM
About 35yrs ago I went elk hunting with a couple guys I'd just started working with. Parked the trk and set things up for camp and I went for a circle around the hill top timber to see what I could kick out. They were gone when I got back.
Decided it was time for some hot tea and put a two qt pan with water on the Coleman.

About that time a bullet hit the ground less than 20' away. Thinking it was Don and his pistol playing with me, I got mine out and was looking around for them and a safe place to put one in the ground too. When two more dug grooves about ten feet in front of me and not a foot apart.

Looked up and here was a good sized 6pt bull about 50yds between me and where they were shooting from/at him. Well, I promptly forgot the pan of water and started shooting at him myself. Put two in his ribs in good order and he took off over the edge of the hill about 200yds before he went down.

As I was by far the closest, away I went after him. Once he was dressed out and ready, headed back to camp. Guess what I found on the Coleman!!

Bottomless pan!
Don said when they heard my first shot about the same instant they fired. He thought they'd hit his trk, had no thought's I'd be back that soon. Once it really dawned on us where I was in relation to the flying bullets we were all plumb spooked. Hope everyone else can see the lesson's within this.

Wish you well, have been greatly entertained by the former discussions. Thank you all,

George

grumpy one
07-28-2006, 01:35 AM
None of my business George, but I'd question your choice of shooting buddies. I wouldn't shoot rimfire with guys who'd shoot across a campsite without checking it carefully, let alone centrefire. Anyone could have walked into camp to see who was around, it didn't have to be you. I'd rather shoot alone than with someone I don't know and trust.

As I said, none of my business, I'd just hate to think of what you described as being funny.

Geoff