PDA

View Full Version : Jacketed Stuff For Easy Clean Up????

FallRun
07-05-2006, 08:17 PM
Hey Guys
Just wondering how many of you agree with shooting some jacketed roundswhen your done shooting lead to make clean up a little easyer:Fire:

Bigjohn
07-05-2006, 08:22 PM
Each to their own.

I prefer to use only cast in barrels cleaned of all copper residue; they are easy to clean so no need for a jacketed cleaner shot.

But this is just what it is, my pereference.

John. :drinks:

44man
07-05-2006, 11:53 PM
My opinion too, the lead comes out easier then trying to get all the copper out. I feel running over lead with a jacketed bullet can compress the lead tighter in the bore. I have never been sure that it would scrape all the lead out. It would be better to clean out as much lead as possible first but then the copper has to be removed or the bore will lead worse.

waksupi
07-05-2006, 11:54 PM
I just shoot the proper cast loads for a barrel, and have no need for jacketed. I may clean my barrels every 5-600 rounds, on general purposes, but leading just isn't a problem, in a properly fit and lubed bullet. Probably more of a guilt thing.:brokenima

Buckshot
07-06-2006, 01:06 AM
..............I dunno. Depends on how much leading you have whether or not firing a couple jacketed rounds is worthwhile. I've found it more of a PITA to mess around trying to get copper fouling out then lead. I'm sure not going to say I've never had leading, but thankfully none in the past several years.

Thanks to Maven and his suggestion of using the copper Chore Boy pot scrubbers, any leading worries aren't of much concern. In a new M24/47 8mm Mauser I'd gotten a couple months ago I had a pretty good lead 'wash' showing at the muzzle. A bit of the Chore Boy wrapped on a patch then dipped in Hoppe's had it a thing of the past in a few passes.

...............Buckshot