PDA

View Full Version : newbie first casting

PULSAR
03-21-2010, 07:43 PM
Ok ,jumped in with both feet today .Cast my first boolits ! did 45acp and wadcutters for my 357 . Had a few mistakes till I caught on but overall it went great .I will try to post some pics on monday.thanks to all for the helpful hints ,I used kroil on the molds and had zero release problems [lee 2 holers] Only one small concern ,on some of the 45s i am seeing a mold line that isnt happening all the time suggestions ?

Ole
03-21-2010, 08:23 PM
Ok ,jumped in with both feet today .Cast my first boolits ! did 45acp and wadcutters for my 357 . Had a few mistakes till I caught on but overall it went great .I will try to post some pics on monday.thanks to all for the helpful hints ,I used kroil on the molds and had zero release problems [lee 2 holers] Only one small concern ,on some of the 45s i am seeing a mold line that isnt happening all the time suggestions ?

Mold line = vertical line that cuts the bullet in half lengthwise?

If that's what you're referring to, then check your mold to make sure it's clean and there isn't any lead bits, dirt, or debris, stuck between the plates. That line just means the mold didn't close all the way when the lead hardened.

stubshaft
03-21-2010, 08:27 PM
It can be caused by relaxing your grip while casting.

runfiverun
03-21-2010, 09:50 PM
if it's just a hint of a line that's good fill out.
i see sometimes the lines from machining.