I am thinking of trying a M1 Carbine with a .311 round ball

with 700x or Bulleye 2 or 3 grains

I sure it wont work the bolt but thats ok

Has anyone tried this

Anything I need to watch for.

Thanks

Centaur 1
03-21-2010, 05:42 PM
Last weekend I tried 6 gr bullseye and 00 buck in my 30-30. I tapped the ball in with a plastic mallet so that it shaved the buckshot. I wasn't impressed with the accuracy, but it probably would have been much better with the proper size ball seated with the press instead of a mallet. They also didn't want to feed, so I had to load them one at a time. I also made some up with 100 grain Hornady short jackets that I had lieing around. They shot pretty good, and they cycled through the action just fine. I'll probably wind up buying a mold for the 115 gr fp bullet for plinking. The bullseye was pretty dirty, but at 1000 rounds per pound of powder I can live with having to run a boresnake through the barrel when I'm done.

Tom-ADC
03-21-2010, 08:31 PM
I used to load a 120 gr lyman#311359 cast boolit with either 5.5 grs of Unique or 11.0 grs of 2400, still have bunches of these left over. That was a fun load and my daughters while younger shot the heck out of these.
The Unique was listed at 1388 fps & 2400 at 1633 fps. from the 1973 edtion of Lymans cast bullet handbook.

Echo
03-21-2010, 08:40 PM
I remember someone telling me a #1 buck was the right diameter - over 5 grains of Unique, it was supposed to function the action. YMMV...

35remington
03-21-2010, 09:24 PM
Centaur, six grains Bullseye is rather hot for a roundball to produce any accuracy. The rifle has way too fast a twist as it is.....faster will shoot horribly.

Try a .311" diameter roundball in an unsized case neck, with around three grains Bullseye instead. Tumble lube it with LLA to fatten it up a little if it's too loose in an unsized case neck.

At best, roundballs hang in there to about thirty yards, even with appropriate charges of powder. Good enough for plinking and small game, anyway.

In the small M1 carbine case you might want to try two grains of Bullseye to start with a roundball.

Larry Gibson
03-22-2010, 01:11 PM
I am thinking of trying a M1 Carbine with a .311 round ball

with 700x or Bulleye 2 or 3 grains

I sure it wont work the bolt but thats ok

Has anyone tried this

Anything I need to watch for.

Thanks

Watch out for the RBs to stick in the barrel beyond the gasport. With light loads in the .30 Carnine ( M1 Carbine) you must have enough residual pressure to push the bullet out the barrel after the gas vents out th gasport. I've stuck enough light loads in M1 Carbines to know:-)

Larry Gibson