PDA

View Full Version : Need help Lyman 45 luber

thebigmac
03-20-2010, 01:50 AM
Can someone describe to me how the Lyman Gas Check Tool works?? I have an old Lyman 45 luber, but cannot figure how to apply this gadget.. Early thanks.Mac:castmine:

RayinNH
03-20-2010, 09:05 AM
Mac see this thread. It applies to the 450 & 4500, but still installs the same way on the 45. It goes between the push rod and frame. See my posts #2& #7 for a link to an illustration. When you see the illustration, on page 5, it should become clear. Hope this helps...Ray

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=50606&highlight=gas+check+seater

thebigmac
03-20-2010, 05:23 PM
Ray, I read the instructions; looked over the diagrams; went down to my shop & tried it again. This old dumb a** STILL doesn't get t. Do you have to remove the push up part of the die?? I'll go and try it again. If it still doesn't clear up in my (mind ??) head , then it will go back to the shelf. Thanks for the attempt to clear this up. Mac

Recluse
03-20-2010, 06:34 PM
I've never used one--gas check installer/seater, that is.

Instead, I get the Lee push-through sizer dies in the appropriate boolit diameter and use those to seat the checks.

Then I run the checked boolits through the lubesizer with a die one step larger so that I'm doing a lube-only process.

For what it's worth, I couldn't figure it out either [smilie=b: and got so mad I threw the thing in the trash. Haven't missed it one bit.

:coffee:

thebigmac
03-20-2010, 07:32 PM
Ray; I returned to that thing in my shop, fiddled with it for a while and found out that, 1) won't fit around the threaded tube, 2) it tried to send me to the "Funny Farm". I figured it out, but why not just place a gas check into the die before placing the boolit in??? The die will seat it and crimp it on just prior to lubing. That
is if it is seated correctly, or push a check onto the boolit by hand...Mac

Harry
03-20-2010, 08:33 PM
Ray,
thebigmac is correct. I have a 45 and the instructions state to place the gas check on the die and push the boolit into the sizer. It will seat the gas check as it sizes and lubes. I never saw a seperate tool to be used with the 45 lube/sizer.

RayinNH
03-20-2010, 09:23 PM
A thousands pardons Mac. I've been leading you on a wild goose chase. I'd thought sure the gas check installer was around when the 45 was around. Look at it this way, when you upgrade to a 450, you'll know how it works...Ray

R.C. Hatter
03-21-2010, 01:43 AM
:coffeecom If you are trying to pre-seat gas checks prior to sizing and lubing, get a flat piece of metal that will cover the sizer die opening. This will act as a stop, which will insure the check is fully and squarely seated, provided you are using the correct top punch for the boolit being used. Then, size and lube in the usual manner. Hope this helps.

Faret
03-24-2010, 08:46 PM
Dosen't the tool go on the push out rod and you adjust the threaded part up to it?