PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 45 problems Lube comes out the top

jh45gun
03-20-2010, 12:04 AM
I bought this a while ago at a gun show for 20 bucks (Lyman 45) I just tried it tonite and the lube wants to come up past the pressure nut towards the top of the reservoir. Got any suggestions? I have a 450 too but I have that set up for my 45 colt bullets and would like to use this 45 for my 30 cal bullets.

pincherpartner
03-20-2010, 12:32 AM
Can you put an O ring on the pressure nut? I forget if they have the cut out or not. I had the same problem and wound up putting the pressure nut from a 450 on it and it works great for me.

cheese1566
03-20-2010, 09:02 AM
Yep, back out the pressure nut and see what style it is:

Nut with wide packing wad washer material=old style/order a new style nut from Lyman for a model 450.

Nut with two grooves= new style-replace O-rings or add if missing, nothing special as the O-rings can be found hardware stores.

Ease up on the pressure on the ratchet handle.

jh45gun
03-20-2010, 10:22 AM
Thanks guys I took the nut out and it is the old style I guess no grooves for O rings and NO material on the side either just bare metal on the side with a lip on the flat side and kinda dome shaped on the other side. Just for future reference which side goes down when I get the new one since this was used not sure if it was even put in the right way.

AZ Pete
03-20-2010, 10:45 AM
I use to put one wrap of cotton twine around my old syle pressure nut, as a packing, to imporve the seal. That worked fine for me, but I eventually got the new style nut, when I found that they were available.

montana_charlie
03-20-2010, 12:40 PM
NO material on the side either just bare metal on the side with a lip on the flat side and kinda dome shaped on the other side.
For future reference, the domed side goes down.
But it sounds like you have an incomplete pressure nut.
The steel nut should be wrapped in a brass sleeve.

CM

pincherpartner
03-20-2010, 01:28 PM
Also, if you do go ahead and by the pressure nut you may wish to invest in a new pressure screw in the 450 style as well. It's a more robust design than the original one and cheap insurance.

Thanks CM, never knew about the brass sleeve. That would explain my leakage as well.

jh45gun
03-20-2010, 06:26 PM
Good to know and yea there is no brass sleeve. I ordered the nut and the two O rings today at the gun shop. I could order direct but he orders from them all the time and this my order goes along with his stuff so shipping does not suck for one or two items. I am going to try a piece of leather where the brass sleeve goes until I get the new nut and O rings. Either it works or it does not.

jh45gun
03-20-2010, 08:34 PM
Well to get by I cut a strip of leather and went around the nut 90 percent of the way since the leather was a bit thicker then it should have been. This worked well enough to get the lubing done I needed with the bullets I wanted to relube as they were done by some one else and given to me and they had gaps in the lube. Worked well enough until I get the new Nut and O rings.

Harry
03-20-2010, 08:43 PM
When you refer the the "pressure nut", are you meaning the piston? The original has an expanding brass ring on the O.D. of the piston. I replaced mine with the new style with 2 o-rings. Works great. The old one would just spin around in the cylinder as I turned the stem. The only way I could stop it was if I would put pressure on it with a screwdriver while turning the stem. I guess it was just wore out.

jh45gun
03-21-2010, 01:14 AM
Yea that's the part I mean.

Faret
03-24-2010, 08:49 PM
I have a oring (small) on my old style nut just below the ridge and the 2 pins. Will get me by for awhile and it works.