PDA

View Full Version : 5 days of shooting frustration.....

mike in co
03-19-2010, 01:23 AM
we have had great shooting weather for the last 7 days or so. i was able to get out 6 of them. worked on 4 rifles, with the major goal to copy or close to the current gi long range 7.62x51 load. close because the required rl15 is and has been unobtainium for about a year. i was using a2495( thier version of 4895). while all went well with three rifles (finn 28-30, swede 96 and rem left 22-250), the 7.62 load development started slow and got worse. original loads were not enough velocity. came back with more powder and got the velocity, but only the hottest load was close to a group. so went back with 10 of that load...and simply shotgunned the target. re-did the load thinking i migth have screwed the load...same results. guess that the powder is not working, and load two more powders. shoot both of them( four loads each) and again both only show potential at the top end...nothing else looks like a group. go back again this am with 5 each of the two "good" loads......and it shoots three up and two down three inches..but not in a row..alternating thru the 5 shots....both loads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

go home, remove the scope, mount another. take a known load to the range, one sighter, five shots..three in one hole......

toasted scope!...and it aint a cheap scope...a real redfield 8-32 target........guess it did not like the recoil of the ar10.

snow tommorrow, work the weekend...who knows when i'll get to start over.

just mounted a new 8.5-25x50 luepold lr target...it is suppose to be for my 1000yd br rifle, but will do ar10 duty for a while.

close to 75rds down the tube.......

life will be better

mike in co

Doc Highwall
03-19-2010, 11:46 AM
Mike, what are you shooting for a load in the 7.62x51

snake river marksman
03-19-2010, 02:29 PM
Have you looked at IMR 8208 XBR and Varget? I've got a buddy who is getting really good results with both of these. When I get a 308 barrel for my Savage I'll be looking into both of these.

Gunfixer
03-19-2010, 04:36 PM
Graf's has RL15 1#'rs in right now, was just there 5 min ago

Cherokee
03-19-2010, 05:41 PM
Mike, my best load in my old rack grade M1A for target use is Hornady 168 BTHPand H380 powder. It will do close to MOA using 24X scope.

mike in co
03-19-2010, 06:02 PM
one at a time:

1)berger 175 vld moly, 2495, varget, 2520, LC05 1x brass, wolf lr primers.

2) see above..i have new and old 8208..but not sure if it is correct fro a heavy bullet in 308....need 2600plus pfs.

3) the gun will shoot sub moa(around .5) with this bullet and seated on the lands...the issue is that is 0.190 longer than the mag!

i'll go check grafs...quick load says it has great potention in this load( guess that is why the mil went with it...lol)

thanks
mike in co

mike in co
03-19-2010, 06:28 PM
Graf's has RL15 1#'rs in right now, was just there 5 min ago

THANK YOU....THANK YOU...THANK YOU....

it was kinda expensive due to hazmat on an 8 lb order...but i got it!

i did 6 of the 15's and one each of 19 and 22 for my 300 win mag( future project)

thanks
mike

mike in co
03-19-2010, 09:04 PM
so as a follow up....

the scope i pulled of had rings and lens caps on it. figuring i'm gonna send it off to iron sights for repair, i strip the stuff off. and then i hear it...a little noise......tilt it end to end..and yep it rattles!

something loose inside!

next.....

mike in co

6.5 mike
03-19-2010, 09:15 PM
Mike, have you used iron sight before ? I have 3 old ( 1 has turret adjustment but no caps) weavers I'ld really like to have repaired & have checked out their web sight. Just wondered if any one had used them.

mike in co
03-19-2010, 09:24 PM
Mike, have you used iron sight before ? I have 3 old ( 1 has turret adjustment but no caps) weavers I'ld really like to have repaired & have checked out their web sight. Just wondered if any one had used them.

i have 2 scopes boxed up and ready to ship when i get a round tuit...lol for over a yr.

this happened because as i was getting ready to ship, he had bought out weavers old service center....and had pick up a bunch of like new old weaver steel tube scopes.....i bought 2 a 4-12 and a 3-9.

so not yet, but the redfield will go i soon...the others can wait.

they do or did have a long back log of work....so don't be in a rush.

mike in co