PDA

View Full Version : Mold prep spray

swallytrip
03-18-2010, 10:03 PM
Is there any kind of mold release prep spray that I can buy that is like the frankford arsenal kind midway sells. I am looking or something I can buy locally and not have to order and wait for it. I had heard someone talk about aerosol graphite spray of some sort at one time but I dont know if thats what I need or where to get it.
Thanks,
Scott

03-18-2010, 10:09 PM
swallytrip,
Most likely, you'll still have to order it, but read the Kroil sticky.

runfiverun
03-18-2010, 10:27 PM
do not use that stuff.
fix the mold and use the kroil.
i use plain penetrating spray made by krown and it seems to get much better after each session,and keeps the molds from rusting too.

high standard 40
03-18-2010, 10:33 PM
Spray graphite can be purchased at multiple outlets but you need to be careful which one you buy. Some have an oil base carrier and will cause big problems in your mold. You need an alcohol based carrier. NAPA auto parts stores sell a good, usuable spray. It is made by Mac's and the NAPA part number is 1413.
It's a 9oz spray can. If they don't have it in stock they can usually get it for you in a day or two from their warehouse.

That being said, I don't use any kind of mold prep in any of my molds. Once I got my molds de-burred and clean, I have not found a need for it.

Buckshot
03-18-2010, 11:31 PM
.............May not seem like it but that spray on release (regardless who makes it) causes the boolit's to fall undersized. If that's what you need, then more power to ya. In addition it can blurr detail like sharp edges, and in a Lee TL mould can be a concern. But that spray release isn't a cure all and as others have suggested if boolit release is the reason you're using it, take a good look under magnification at the cavities.

................Buckshot

Maven
03-19-2010, 01:19 PM
swallytrip, I used to use NAPA #1413 (note the past tense) and thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. However, as Buckshot wrote, the droppings were a trifle undersized and it wasn't really a good thing to apply to aluminum molds. Unless you have a mold that hasn't responded to any other treatment for "the stickies," I'd stay away from it. What is it good for? It works fine on the underside of sprue plates and mold tops and seems to prevent iron (meehanite) mold blocks from rusting, but not much else.

sundog
03-19-2010, 02:40 PM
It's not too often that I take exception to the wise old owls on this board, but...

Mould release should NOT be sprayed onto moulds. It should be used only on clean moulds. Using the qtip application method, there is no reduction in boolit diameter and no rounding of edges, or any other detrimental affects. It is not need on all moulds, and especially not aluminium. But heck, what do I know, I am a novice with only forty years casting boolits.

Here's a thought that I have not tested. If sprayed on block halves, that would include both cavities and mating faces. The mating faces then would be separated by the same amount as apllied in the cavities, a sort of beagling. Resulting size? Maybe no change. Just a thought.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
03-19-2010, 08:24 PM
Just IMHO, but I recently put it on a New RCBS 405gr - 45/70 mold and removed it before the second session.

My product is the Midaway product, and I think you are better off without it!

Keep em coming!

CDOC

swallytrip
03-19-2010, 10:16 PM
I dont know it might be just my luck with lee products but they always seem to need some kind of doctoring untill theyll properly work. The mold i have is the 158 gr SWC .358 i actually want to get rid of it and buy the round flat nose one for the bigger lube groove. The mold i have now worked a little better once i spun the cavities with a boolit and drill but now seems to be leaving a big part line mark and it never did before the mold ha probably only made 300 to 400 boolits i didnt think it would be this problematic. Thanks for the replies

John Boy
03-19-2010, 10:22 PM
The answer is warm your mold with hot tap water and clean it with Micro-90. Then forget about using smoke or other mold releases. You can get a free concentrate sample here ... http://www.ipcol.com/shopcontent.asp?type=requestsample (be sure to include a corporate name) and then go to their home page and read the attributes about the product.
PS: I haven't used a mold release or smoked a mold in over 3 years since I started using Micro-90, 5% solution