PDA

View Full Version : Finally test fired some 9mm loads

snake river marksman
03-18-2010, 12:21 PM
I have a Lee and an NEI mould. One's roundnose the other is TC I don't recall which is which. Anyway, I loaded them up with some Red dot. They turned out to be just a tad hot. The good news is both style bullets fed perfectly which was my main concern. Secondly, there was minimal leading. That will likely go away with lighter loads and as I perfect my tumble lube technique.
I was somewhat surprised at the pressure signs. I'm quite a bit under max and my boolits weighed less than the book load that I was using. Oh well, less powder per round is more rounds per pound.

FWIW my lube is a modification of Recluses recipe. I used equal parts TC bore Butter Plus and JPW with 10% mineral spirits. It seems to lube alright but it stays just a little bit tacky. When I get some Alox or Xlox we'll see how things go.

chris in va
03-18-2010, 07:28 PM
How is your accuracy compared to FMJ?

snake river marksman
03-18-2010, 08:13 PM
Chris, I don't know what kind of accuracy they'll give. I just burned through a dozen rounds of both bullet styles for function testing. I'll adjust the load to get rid of the pressure signs and then do some real testing.