PDA

View Full Version : OAL Question

FallRun
07-02-2006, 10:13 AM
I'm reloading for an XD 40 S&W and all the data I've come across gives me a min. OAL is there a max OAL? If so why is it not listed. Perhaps theres a rule of thumb
never exceed 5 or 6 thou. over the min. or something like that? Thanx in advance for any and all help:confused:

Bucks Owin
07-02-2006, 10:19 AM
I can't see much harm in seating a bullet OUT slightly, as long as it still functions (feeds) OK. I do that with some of my varmint rifle loads for better accuracy. If you were attempting to seat deeper, I would be a little worried as pressures can rise. It's best to stick closely to recommended seating depths for the most part....

FWIW,

Dennis

Possum
07-02-2006, 12:45 PM
I am not an EXPERT! But, I remember reading the 40 was extremely sensitive to Min. overall length since it had a small cases capacity and a high operating pressure to start with. The max overall length would be the maximum that would operate with the specific firearm, or what would be listed as the SAAMI spec for the cartridge. In my TC's the max is whatever the chamber is for the particular barrel. In a magazine fed firearm, the overall length must take into account the length of the magazine the bullet is fitting into in addition to the chamber. Hope that helps.