PDA

View Full Version : Melting Pot?

B R Shooter
03-16-2010, 05:21 PM
Been reading a lot here, and read the thread about the fellow that cut the bottom out of a propane tank, and it worked well. So, for a while I've been watching the side of the roads to find an old one thrown away. Or, also been looking for a discarded freon tank, that would do just as well I would think.

How-evahh......I had a brain rush on the way home. I remembered I have two of the old stainless steel water/soda fire extinguishers! BINGO! I measured one when I got home, they are 7" diameter. Now it may be too small for some that are doing a lot of melting at one time, but I think it would do me just fine. It has a ring around the bottom that sits sturdy, and they are rated for over 100 pounds or more, so they must be substantial enough gauge. Cut off about 6 to 8 inches in height should do fine.

What do y'all think?

D Crockett
03-16-2010, 07:49 PM
what you have will work just fine for small amounts 30 or so lbs but if you want one of the pots like you read about I will be happy to make you one there is more to cutting a propane tank open than taking a torch or cutting blade to it and what ever you do do not user a freon tank the fumes will hurt you bad I have had years of practice in opening tanks all it will cost you is postage and the price of a pack of cutting blades will also put in a ingot mould or two pm me if I can help you D Crockett

mooman76
03-16-2010, 10:42 PM
I had a 2qt pot I used and that's about the same size' I could do about 150# IN 4 hours. Unless you have allot of WWs like a ton it will work fine.

zuke
03-17-2010, 08:33 AM
I picked up a pressure cooker at a Thrift shop for $3.00.
It had no pressure gauge,but has a lid I can clamp down with and is stainless steel.
It's about 16 inch's across and 8-10 inch's deep.
Best thing I've ever bought for smelting, next to the 5 LEE ingot mold's!

B R Shooter
03-17-2010, 12:34 PM
what you have will work just fine for small amounts 30 or so lbs but if you want one of the pots like you read about I will be happy to make you one there is more to cutting a propane tank open than taking a torch or cutting blade to it and what ever you do do not user a freon tank the fumes will hurt you bad I have had years of practice in opening tanks all it will cost you is postage and the price of a pack of cutting blades will also put in a ingot mould or two pm me if I can help you D Crockett

Mr. Crockett, I appreciate your advise regarding cutting a tank. I've done this sort of thing before. The simplest thing to do is fill it with water, then cut it. That would render anything left in the tank harmless. I would not use a torch on a small tank as that, I would use cut off wheels. And that is what I'll use cutting the stainless extinguisher tank. Your offer is a great one!