PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 314299 200grain.

Tugdriver
03-16-2010, 10:29 AM
Gentlemen,

I need some advice over here!
Recently i have purchased a brandnew Lyman 314299 die to make some large .314 boolits for my Nr4 MkII Enfield.
As i made some boolits yesterday, they mesure .312 to 313 fresh from the mold.
In my opinion a way to small.I am using the Lyman #2(copy)as lead mixture.
Schould i add more Lino to get a harder melt,and make them a little larger in diameter?
When i sized them true my .314 sizer,they mesure .314 exactly??
I while back i red something about sizing a .312 boolit in a .314 sizing die.
True pressure the boolit enlarge into the .314 sizing die?
Could this be happening to me???
By the way..how do you guys call this technique?

Thanks
Frank

chboats
03-16-2010, 11:42 AM
the process is called to beagle or beagling here is a couple of threads on your mold. All so do a search under Molds Maintenance and Design. There a couple of thread on how to beagle a mold

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=78770
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=78746

Carl

Maven
03-16-2010, 12:51 PM
"Awhile back I read something about sizing a .312 boolit in a .314 sizing die.
True pressure the boolit enlarge into the .314 sizing die? Could this be happening to me???
By the way..how do you guys call this technique?"

Frank, You are referring to bumping or bumping up an undersized cast boolit. "Beagling," named after one of our members who pioneered the technique, refers to applying heat resistant aluminum tape to one or both sides of the bullet mold in order to increase the diameter of the casting(s).

Wayne S
03-16-2010, 02:34 PM
If you want .314 and when you size the .312 in a .314 sizing die thay come out lubed and sized .314, then life is good ?? IF you are useing more that normal force to to "bump" the base out to .314, then just be carefull you don't put a slight crook [bend] in the nose.

mike in co
03-16-2010, 04:21 PM
send the mold back and ask for what was on the label

mike in co

Tugdriver
03-16-2010, 05:51 PM
hi guys,

thanks for the quick respons and the pro. info and advice!!
I see,i'm not alone with this problem,
I'll wait a week and mesure them again,according some casters they enlarge by time.Aldow my boolit mesures .314 after sizing,i could later on lap this mould to get a proper .314 or.315 for perfect and round sizing.
Tomorrow i will visit the shooting range to test those newmade boolits.
I'll think twice before i purchase a new mould....

Thanks again
Greetings from Belgium
Frank

plumber
03-18-2010, 10:15 PM
Same problem here
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showpost.php?p=841900&postcount=1

send it back, get your money, and order one from NOE.
Lyman needed to cut new cherries a long time ago.

longbow
03-18-2010, 11:27 PM
I cast some Lyman 314299's in a borrowed mould ~ they cast at 0.312" (so 0.002" undersize).

I decided to buy my own Lyman 314299 and it cast somewhat larger at 0.313" still not the 0.314" it should. I lapped it and now get 0.315" body and 0.305" nose. It shoots pretty well after lapping.

I also just bought a four cavity NOE 316299 because I was a little annoyed with the Lyman and have heard such good reports on NOE.

For just a few bucks more than a two cavity Lyman that casts undersize I now have a four cavity NOE that casts at 0.315" and casts beautifully as well. The good reports about NOE are well deserved. The boolits are so smooth they look swaged.

In all honesty, I like iron moulds but I also like moulds that cast the size I need. My Lymans (I have several) tend to cast undersize. My Mihec and NOE moulds cast what I need. I will be back for more!

Looks like NOE still have a two and five cavity mould available if you can get our money back for the Lyman. Otherwise you can lap it and it should be okay.

Longbow

Buckshot
03-19-2010, 01:09 AM
.............The problem Tugdriver has is that he is in Belgium and Lyman is here in the U.S., so it's no casual matter for him to send it back and forth between himself and Lyman.

I've offered before to purchase and forward stuff for folks needing things and living outside the U.S. Just checking @ Midway the mould is $62 and their shipping to me (if that's all that was purchased) would be $7. International shipping via USPS Small Flat Rate Box would be $12.75 to Belgium.

As i made some boolits yesterday, they mesure .312 to 313 fresh from the mold. When i sized them true my .314 sizer,they mesure .314 exactly??

So you are saying that the boolit's measure .312"/.313" as they drop from the mould? And then you run them through your .314" sizer they now measure .314"? As Maven said, the only way for that to happen would be if you were applying enough pressure on the boolit's nose to expand (or bump up) the drive bands. The 314299 is a relatively long narrow boolit. To apply sufficient pressure on the nose to cause the drive bands to expand, would be considerable. You'd have to be expanding a portion of the nose also and stand the chance of bending the boolit.

By the way..how do you guys call this technique?

If you mean the expanding part, it's as Maven said. If you mean simply running the boolit down and then up in the die, that's "lube sizing".

...............Buckshot

Suo Gan
04-09-2010, 02:33 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=12349&highlight=boolit+size+alloy
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=70452&highlight=undersize+314299