PDA

View Full Version : shiny wheelweights?

bpg76
07-01-2006, 01:48 PM
when im sorting out my wheelweights to melt every so often i come across ones that are shiny looking not dull like the regular wheelweights .are they lead or something else?i have a theremometer and have been keeping the melt around 650 degrees but havent thrown any of them in to see.

eka
07-01-2006, 03:33 PM
bpg76,

I like you have noticed some of the shiney ones. I use a magnet to test any suspicious ones and then use a pair of pliers to bite into them to investigate further. It's my understanding that the Zinc weights are rather hard and not easily scratched. All the shiney ones I have checked out seem to me to be lead.

Take care,

Keith

bpg76
07-01-2006, 05:26 PM
thanks keith

im new at casting i figured i would ask before i smelted them with my other wheelweights..im glad i brought a thermometer to check my melt temperature though i had one zinc wheelweight get by me when i was sorting but found it floating in the pot when i was skimming clips.

Possum
07-01-2006, 09:33 PM
I'm new to casting (been doing it about 15months) and what I do is--- if in doubt, cast it out.:-D

Seriously though, if it floats in the pool after the rest has melted, it is coming out of my pot. I melt about 80lbs of lead a week from the local tire store and so far that has been a good policy for keeping my lead good.

grumpy one
07-01-2006, 09:41 PM
The only shiny WW I've encountered so far have been the zinc weights used by one of the Japanese car makers. They are rather fine-grained all over, and are machine-polished on the front surface where the size (weight) is finely impressed on by rolling, instead of being crudely cast on. Those are really nice-looking weights, and shine up like in the show-room each time the vehicle goes through a car wash. Just note they are zinc, and toss them - they are extremely easily recognised because they are so pretty.

Vegas Vince
07-02-2006, 12:11 AM
Shiny WW I've encountered are the zinc weights. When in doubt drop them on a concrete floor or drive. The zinc has a ring to it the lead does not. :)

Vince

Andy_P
07-03-2006, 09:40 AM
I used to visually check for Zinc Wheelweights (they usually have "Zn" imprinted on them), but abandonned that activity because:

- I was only finding 2 or 3 per 5 gal pail; and
- they are lense dense and have a higher melting temp than lead, so if you keep the pot temp at below 700 F, they will refuse to melt and will float nicely on top along with the steel, rubber, etc.

bpg76
07-03-2006, 05:11 PM
thanks for the help guys i kept them seperate and have been using a thermometer to be safe..only come across one wheelweight that wouldnt melt so far.

rhead
07-04-2006, 06:53 AM
Most of thr shiny ones around here are chrome plated lead for the fancy wheel set. they usually come out with the clips.