PDA

View Full Version : color case hardening

ole 5 hole group
03-14-2010, 05:24 PM
I've got a revolver with a color case hardened frame coming my way this week and I want to put it to good use and still keep it "pretty" at the same time. Does anyone have suggestions on how to keep the colors from fading with hard use? (sun and handling) I spoke with a Turnbull employee, as Turnbull did the work and he had no suggestions for reapplying a sealant of some sort. I'm aware that solvents and alcohol will eat the original sealant pretty quick, so cleaning that puppy might prove to be a PITA.

HeavyMetal
03-14-2010, 08:01 PM
Protecting the case hardening was one of the benifits of Whale Oil.

Don't try and buy any now!

I'd try Turnbull's web site and see if FAQ'S has any info as I can't imagine your the only guy with this question.

Be aware that some info may come with the gun as the smith does have a vested interest in keeping the gun looking good for as long as possible.

waksupi
03-14-2010, 08:42 PM
ATF is the whale oil substitute, so that may work the best. Any color case hardening will fade in light, so store it in the dark as much as possible.

John Boy
03-15-2010, 12:16 AM
ATF is the whale oil substitute
waksupi, the closest hydrogen-carbon chain substitute oils to whale oil are jojoba and meadow foam

Bad Water Bill
03-15-2010, 12:20 AM
What pray tell is meadow foam?

MtGun44
03-15-2010, 01:16 AM
Light fades the colors. Keep in the dark at all times you are not shooting. Don't
lay in direct sun at the range. I have seen guns 100+ yrs old with fantastic colors and
others with almost none left, most likely one was in a closet or safe and the other was
on a mantle in the light.

Wayne Smith
03-15-2010, 01:54 PM
Back in Shooters.com days, wasn't it Ballistol that faded all of Grandpa's case hardening colors? I remember that it was something like that he had put on the cloth he stored them in and, a year or so later, they all were French Grey.

KCSO
03-15-2010, 02:35 PM
A coat of Clear laquer will do the job. That is what the high end factories use.

ATF might be what we can get now but it's no sub for whale oil although bear oil is close and was recommended by Ned Roberts.

ole 5 hole group
03-15-2010, 04:43 PM
Back in Shooters.com days, wasn't it Ballistol that faded all of Grandpa's case hardening colors? I remember that it was something like that he had put on the cloth he stored them in and, a year or so later, they all were French Grey.

That doesn't sound good. The fellow I purchased the revolver from uses nothing but Ballistol. I was thinking of clear lacquer but others have advised it does nothing for UV and would distort the color. Maybe I've got nothing to worry about as the revolver shouldn't be exposed to the sun for more than 300 hours a year and Turnbull is a Master craftsman at case color hardening. If I can't find a good sealant then I'll just let nature take its course and be happy that I'm still healthy and able to shoot. Another question - people that have their revolvers color case hardened - is it mainly for pride of ownership while using it or does it become a safe queen and a conversation piece? Thanks everyone for your suggestions - I'll look into them as it's a nice looking revolver and I would like to keep it looking nice but it will see some hard field use and no doubt a little abuse from "family members". I may post a picture when I get it this week.

jlchucker
03-16-2010, 10:03 AM
A few years ago I subscribed to a mag called "The Shooting Sportsman". It wrote about fine shotguns, hunting in exotic places, fine art, and gunsmithing of fine shotguns. Nice pictures. I'd never be able to afford the stuff their sponsors were pitching--100 grand or so is too pricey for me. That having been said, I saw an article about gunsmithing/restoration of old guns--and it included extensive remarks about color case hardening (done overseas). The article said that one could expect that mottled coloring to fade away with use a lot quicker than blued surfaces would. I remember that, but didn't save copies of those mags. Should have, I guess-- the gunsmiths, engravers and stockmakers they wrote lengthy articles about really know their stuff--and they have long lead times with very heavy pricetags. My late father's old Marlin 1936 once had color case on the receiver. That coloring did wear away after years of use, so I figured that what I read in those articles at the time was probably true.

Lloyd Smale
03-16-2010, 07:16 PM
Like was said light fades it so keep it in the dark as much as possible. What i do is put a coat of car wax on them. Car wax save finishes on cars from uv rays so im sure it would help your gun some too. Bottom line is your not going to stop the fading. Only slow it. Some guys think faded case colars give a gun character.

ole 5 hole group
03-19-2010, 06:43 PM
I've got a tough enough time hitting my target in the daytime - now I need to shoot in the dark? I guess the colors will just fade away like my youth did - here's a couple "pretty" pictures.

Blacksmith
03-19-2010, 09:26 PM
A little elbow grease and some good metal polish will shine up that frame real nice. :bigsmyl2: Very nice looking piece!

jbunny
03-19-2010, 09:32 PM
there is armorall brand of car interior and exterior polish that is made for uv protection.
jb

Lee
03-20-2010, 08:55 PM
So, short of spending $$$$ when the color case (pretty) wears off, what can you do then? I've a Ruger with CC hardening, blood spattered, rusted where the blood was. I'm not wanting to send it back to Ruger to put a (pretty) CC hardening finish back on it. Now what? Just card with steel wool, and cold blue the poop out of it?? I guess eventually a continued application of any blueing will give a passable finish....??????

steg
03-22-2010, 09:16 PM
I had an old 929 H&R and a Rossi puma re-blued and both receivers came out a sort of purple, I Was just about to buff the color off and keep a close eye on the finish, and the smith suggested color case hardening, and they both came out pretty, I keep them in a room that gets no sunlight only flourescent, don't know if that will hurt the finish or not. BTW the reason I had the puma re-blued is one day I tried to rub the gun down with OOOO steel wool and oil, lightly and the blueing actually came off !

KCSO
03-22-2010, 09:27 PM
Laquer the case and it will deter the effects of sun light. This is what they do to the top end shotguns.

Wayne Smith
03-23-2010, 07:16 AM
You can get a bottle of UV block at any paint store. Add that to the lacquer and it will work better.

dubber123
03-23-2010, 07:38 AM
I don't think having just a frame case hardened by Turnbull was that expensive, (in the big picture)., so maybe just use it like you want, and if they fade in 20 years, send it in for another case hardening.

steg
03-23-2010, 11:55 AM
Mine cost me $35:00 for both guns, but the smithy and I grew up together, and we're close friends................steg

ole 5 hole group
03-23-2010, 05:09 PM
I don't think having just a frame case hardened by Turnbull was that expensive, (in the big picture)., so maybe just use it like you want, and if they fade in 20 years, send it in for another case hardening.

According to Turnbull's website, the price today is $350.00 and you're right, I think the original owner paid close to 10X's that amount for the complete project by Bowen, so it wasn't that expensive to him in the overall scheme of things. It's gonna get used and whatever happens will happen, but I'll try a couple suggestions from those who replied to me and I'll see if I can pass it on in good shape when that time comes.