PDA

View Full Version : 16ga Blackpowder SxS - soldering

obssd1958
07-01-2006, 03:56 AM
I have a 16ga blackpowder side by side that I inherited from my cousin. When his wife gave it to me, I promised her that I would put it to use and hunt with it. Unfortunately, the barrels had started to separate and she had taken it to a guy that tried to solder them back together. The result is pretty sickening.
I would have a gunsmith fix it, but know of none locally that I would trust.
My first thought is to clean it all up with steel wool and a good degreaser, make a custom clamp to keep the barrels from moving, and use a mini torch to reflow the solder. My worry is that the heat will change the metal of the barrels and make the gun unusable. In this case, that would be a disaster - I always keep my promises, and this is as much about keeping his memory alive as it is about fixing a gun.

I would appreciate any and all input that the experience of this board has to offer!!

Thanks,

Don

Bret4207
07-01-2006, 08:37 AM
If it is of decent quality make, then you should probably call around and do some web searches and find some one who specializes in this type of thing. LeFever used to be good at it. Don't even know if they're still around. If you can locate a copy of Brownells "Gunsmith Kinks" you'll find the general instyructions for doing it yourself. It's not rocket science, but it isn't easy either. The heat from soldering shouldn't hurt the barrels, but will discolor them.

Bucks Owin
07-02-2006, 10:10 AM
Whew, just be glad it doesn't need regulating like a double rifle! :D

Sounds like an "involved" project for sure, good luck with it amigo....

FWIW, I'm a big fan of the 16 ga and have a pair of Win M-12s that I cherish in that gauge and even have a "dedicated" MEC loader for making ammo for them. Not much selection in 16 ga at the corner sporting goods stores anymore!

Dennis

BTW, I'd be curious in what make it is and if you have any brass cartridges for it?

meldrimgunsmith
07-02-2006, 03:00 PM
you think that is tough try soldering damascus barrels ! that will make you come up with cuss words you didn't know existed. I have resoldered a bunch of dbls but nothing as bad as damascuss (yeah I spelled damacus cuss)

KCSO
07-02-2006, 08:44 PM
To do the job right you need a jig made for the barrels and that jig takes a heap of time to make. A proper jig will hold the barrels in alignment and clamp the ribs down at the same time. In addition to do a proper re solder job you need to Pullt the old ribs off and clean them. No you know why the guys who do this stuff for a living charge like they do. A good resolder jub will cost $150.00 and up. and most of the guys don't want to work on any old White Powder Wonder because they don't want to make a jig that they might not ever use again. I have a jig for a Parker and a Remington. and a couple of jigs for M/L Webley and Scott doubles.

Mk42gunner
07-03-2006, 02:07 AM
What kind of solder and maybe more importantly, what kind of flux should you use for a job like this? My thoughts are that an acid based flux would do a better job, but then how do you neutralize the acid remaining under the ribs???????

I am not planning to do this now, this is just for general knowledge.

Thanks,

Robert

Four Fingers of Death
07-03-2006, 05:10 PM
Mate if you are curious about gunsmithing work you ought to buy the three vols of gunsmith's kinks. I have the first two and they are a great read and de mystify a lot of things.

floodgate
07-04-2006, 01:13 AM
Mick:

There's actually a FOURTH volume in the "Kinky Gunsmith" series; came out in 2001. I have a discount coupon for it from Brownells, and am having it drop-shipped to you as a "thank you" for your help on the Simplex press.

floodgate

obssd1958
07-05-2006, 04:40 AM
Bret,

I have Brownells Gunsmith Kinks (I think it's the first one - copyright 1969) and I can't find anything in it on soldering barrels. Do you know which Kinks you found that info in? Also, I'm not sure who made this shotgun. There are no marks anywhere to go by. So worth in $$ is probably squat - value to me because of who it belonged to - can't be replaced...

Dennis,

Sorry I wasn't more detailed in my initial description. This is a 16 ga percussion muzzleloader shotgun. I have always heard nothing but good things about the M12s though! Maybe someday I'll get me one. :-D

KCSO,

If I could find someone that I trust to do it, I would pay to have it done. As I said above, there are no marks to show who made the gun, so a custom jig is going to be a requirement, but I don't have an example to start with. Do you have pictures of the ones that you use and general guidelines for making one?

Also, Robert has a good question, what solder and flux do you use for this project??

Thanks guys!

Don

Junior1942
07-05-2006, 07:35 AM
How 'bout TIG welding the barrels?