PDA

View Full Version : Need Help about moon clips

BSkerj
03-14-2010, 02:56 PM
I just purchased a JM 625 LNIB revolver. It is spooky accurate. It came with several moon clips but some are slightly "bent" at the tabs. I have been having some FTF issues with the revolver, about 1 in 6 when using the used moon clips. Since I am new to using moon clips is this a common occurance or should I break down and buy more? Is there a good way to straighten tabs? What brand are the best ? Or should I look in a different direction as far as light primer strikes. I am using CCI large pistol primers and never had a issue with my 645 auto. Thanks in advance!

S.R.Custom
03-14-2010, 03:46 PM
Or should I look in a different direction as far as light primer strikes?

I've never known moon clips in and of themselves to be a source of FTF. Even the soft plastic ones, which you'd expect to have trouble with in this respect.

Sounds to me more like a light hammer strike.

j20owner
03-14-2010, 03:54 PM
If you got it used, it might have been tinkered with. I handled a shooter's 625 that had a super-light trigger and would only ignite Federal primers. Anything else would be a FTF.

imashooter2
03-14-2010, 04:44 PM
I'd agree that most likely the springs have been messed with. I know mine is only good with Federal primer reloads.

.45 ACP moons are so cheap, it isn't worth monkeying around to straighten bent ones. Buy 'em by the hundred from Old Sarge's Drop Zone. I've used a couple hundred of them and know 3 others that use them as well. No issues for any of us.

http://www.oldsargesdropzone.com/product.php?item=1469

Shepherd2
03-14-2010, 04:45 PM
I think Tom Kilhoffer at TK Custom (www.moonclips.com) made a tool to straighten moonclips. That was some time ago and pricey as I recall. I used a number of moonclips when I was shooting my 625 in IDPA and I never had a moonclip related problem. MY 625 has a light trigger and will only work with Federal primers.

35remington
03-14-2010, 05:32 PM
Bent moon clips are quite frequently the cause of misfiring. When the clip gets bent, the round "bounces" instead of resisting the firing pin blow solidly, and misfires result.

It isn't worth straightening them as you'll rarely be able to restore them to their original state sans the bend.

Next time treat them gently and use a deloading tool that allows you to remove the rounds with minimal strain, and the clips should be inspected if they're dropped with loaded rounds in place.

They should never be carried in the front jeans pocket, for instance, and generally treated with kid gloves.

After many years of use I've come to the conclusion that adding a bendable, loose piece of metal to the headspacing equation does nothing to increase 45 ACP revolver reliability.

And, if the rounds are not seated fully in the chambers, the firing pin has to drag several other cartridges along for the ride forward before the firing pin can deliver its blow to the primer, which is another source of misfires.

If the six rounds in the gun HAVE TO go off, they should be Auto Rim cartridges. Reloads can be in moonclips, but reloads should be stored in a belt carrier for speedloaders so they don't get bent being carried.

Or, better yet, I carry Auto Rim cases in my HKS Auto Rim speedloaders and forget the whole moonclip thing for serious use.

I can't ever see moonclips being a reliability enhancement. They are a detriment, pure and simple. For sunny day plinking they are fine.

BSkerj
03-14-2010, 06:26 PM
Thanks guys...gonna try some new moonclips first and see how that goes...I have 2 good ones that are not giving me any issues so I will use them until I get the ones from Old Sarge...thanks IMASHOOTER for the link. If that doesn't work then the gun will go back to the performance center.

captaint
03-14-2010, 07:33 PM
BS - I had some trouble with cylinder binding and bent moon clips. So, I just got some .45Auto Rim brass and that was the end of that!! Try some. enjoy Mike

BSkerj
03-14-2010, 09:49 PM
J20...went out to the man room and loaded up some Federal Primers and not 1 FTF using the same clips . Looks like that was the problem. Luckily I have 2K of Fed primers. I don't think I'll mess with the spring since it has such a great trigger pull. I'll just keep using Fed. and probably get some auto rim.

Mk42gunner
03-15-2010, 09:51 PM
When I went to armorers school, I was told to keep the mainspring strain screw tight on S&W duty guns and ALL of of the .45 ACP revolvers.

Robert