PDA

View Full Version : Dixie Gun Works doesn't want my business

stubshaft
03-13-2010, 05:53 AM
It has been a while since I had a reason to order from DGW. In the past they had offered excellent service and decent prices.

On a whim I checked out their online catalog and was browsing through it when a pair of Rosewood grips caught my eye. It was for a Ruger Old Army/Blackhawk and since I own at least 3 guns they would fit I decided to order a set. They were priced at $25.95@.

I went through the online ordering process and before finalizing the order I checked it over.

The minimum shipping cost was $37.95.

Although they offer other methods of shipping they required that I have it shipped to Hawaii by 2nd Day Air for that amount.

Now I realize that living in the middle of the Pacific usually entails some small surcharge but this is ridiculous.

I'm finished ranting now, and will NEVER order anything from them again.

dubber123
03-13-2010, 09:15 AM
I only ever dealt with them once. I broke the stock on my Cabelas Italiano "Hawken". I called DGW and inquired about a replacemnt, thinking most of these were basically a generic 15/16" BP sidelock. The guy who answered the phone told me those guns "aren't worth fixing, and to just buy another gun." Well, the gun is over $400, and shoots under 1" at 50 yards, so I figured it warrented a new stock. Cabelas had one sent to me right from Italy for $60. DGW will get by just fine without any of my money.

Shiloh
03-13-2010, 10:29 AM
DGW is only hurting themselves. Bad news travels fast. Sales people could use some training in people skills. Comments like "They aren't worth fixing" is an opinion not fact. One inch at 50 yards is worth fixing to me.

Shiloh

mooman76
03-13-2010, 10:45 AM
I broke a piece on my new Walker colt (my fault)I bought from them. It was a back order item but they sent it to me no charge. I've never had a problem with them.

Lee
03-13-2010, 03:51 PM
With my old eyes and shaky arms, 1" at 10 yards is acceptable......;)

oldhickory
03-13-2010, 04:22 PM
I haven't dealt with Dixie for a few years now because their service has gone from warm and friendly to cold and impersonal, shipping the last time I ordered something was so slow I could have aquired the skills and raw material to make it myself, and price!..They sell well OVER retail!:groner:

It wasn't like that when Turner ran the place.

Echo
03-13-2010, 05:58 PM
Playing Devil's Advocate, shipping overseas is iffy, and the best luck in making sure it arrives AT ALL is to send it Priority Air. Still, seems they aren't attuned to folks...

abunaitoo
03-13-2010, 06:27 PM
Seems like many outfits have a problem selling to Hawaii.
Even on ebay some sellers will not sell to Hawaii and Alaska.

How about all the shooters on this fourm help us in Hawaii out and stop buying from these people.
Us shooters need to stick together.

AZ-Stew
03-13-2010, 07:49 PM
You might ask one of your brothers here to buy them and forward them to you. They should fit in a USPS Priority envelope for both legs of the journey. Total shipping should come to less than $10.

Regards,

Stew

Dean D.
03-13-2010, 08:13 PM
Guess they never heard of USPS flat rate shipping. I send a lot of stuff to my Parents who live on the Big Island, I rarely have to pay over $15 and it gets there in a couple days.

nicholst55
03-13-2010, 09:32 PM
Some places won't even ship to APO (Army Post Office) addresses, because it requires them to MAIL the item. It's domestic postage charges, but they have to actually send someone down to the post office, rather than having the FedEx or UPS truck stop by and pick it up.

While I'm overseas, that's my first step - verify that they ship to APOs. If not, they don't get my business. Sure, I could buy whatever it is and have it sent to my son's house and have him mail it to me, but why should I have to inconvenience him? In my mind, if a business wants my money, they have to earn it by providing service.