PDA

View Full Version : Static cling in powder pan

ghh3rd
03-12-2010, 05:17 PM
I've found that it requires some finger tapping and rubbing to get all of the H110 from the powder pan into the case. This is true for both of my scales, each having a metal pan. Is there a way to eliminate this static cling that won't affect the powder?

Thanks

Doc Highwall
03-12-2010, 05:30 PM
Use a static dryer sheet and wipe the inside of the powder hopper also.

markinalpine
03-12-2010, 05:37 PM
I don't have a dryer and line dry, so when I think of it, I'll stop by this nearby laundramat when I'm out walking my dog anyway, and pick up a couple that the typical slobs leave in the dryers.
Mark [smilie=1:

ghh3rd
03-12-2010, 05:48 PM
Dryer sheets - good idea. Didn't think of that, I'll see how it works tomorrow.

Von Gruff
03-12-2010, 06:43 PM
They are also good for the electronic scales. when the scale seem to need re-zeroing too often give it a wipe with the dryer sheet and the scale is more stable in its zeroing.

Von Gruff.

mpmarty
03-12-2010, 06:47 PM
To stop static cling in scale pans (metal or plastic) wash them in hot water with dish-washing soap and let air dry without rinsing off the soapy water.

gray wolf
03-12-2010, 07:16 PM
To stop static cling in scale pans (metal or plastic) wash them in hot water with dish-washing soap and let air dry without rinsing off the soapy water.

What he said ^

lwknight
03-12-2010, 08:03 PM
Danged ol dry winter weather males everything statiky. I'm even getting scared to shut the door on my truck when I get out. Sometimes fire jumps an inch or so and feels like it could knock my fingernail off.

Doc Highwall
03-12-2010, 08:34 PM
I get that real bad at my house with the forced hot air and I feel bad when I go to pet one of the cats and the spark zaps them on the nose. I think part of it is the titanium plate in my neck and the titanium rods and staples in my back. I swear the sparks are more then 1/4" long and you can hear the snap at the same time.

Boondocker
03-12-2010, 10:01 PM
Another good thing with used dryer sheet is throw a few in the tumbler while do brass and they collect the fine dust from the media. My clean brass smells like lavender lol.:bigsmyl2:

Edubya
03-12-2010, 11:25 PM
I get that real bad at my house with the forced hot air and I feel bad when I go to pet one of the cats and the spark zaps them on the nose. I think part of it is the titanium plate in my neck and the titanium rods and staples in my back. I swear the sparks are more then 1/4" long and you can hear the snap at the same time.

Doc, you should know that you're suppose to kiss the wife before you pet the cat. Puts more spark in the love life.:)
EW

Doc Highwall
03-13-2010, 12:28 AM
Those are not hot flashes she is having THOSE ARE POWER SURGES, --------SPARKS GALORE!!!!

44man
03-13-2010, 09:02 AM
Thanks again fellas, I spilled my coffee again! :mrgreen:

dubber123
03-13-2010, 09:21 AM
If you have touched the inside of the pan, it might just be oils from your skin doing it. Small flake powders like Bullseye will do this to me. You can just try cleaning the pan well, and not touching the inside. This has always worked whenever I had it happen.

archmaker
03-13-2010, 09:49 AM
Simple inexpensive trick to get rid of static. Spray bottle, fabric softner, spray onto your powder funnel, or carpet around the house.

Used to do that when IT took over a place that had carpet in the computer room. Kept the static down in the room

montana_charlie
03-13-2010, 02:05 PM
If you have touched the inside of the pan, it might just be oils from your skin doing it. Small flake powders like Bullseye will do this to me. You can just try cleaning the pan well, and not touching the inside. This has always worked whenever I had it happen.
I think this might be the real problem for the thread's author because he lives in Florida.
As humid as that location is, stactic charge buildup should not be a big problem.
CM

gefiltephish
03-13-2010, 02:46 PM
In NJ we have more than our share of humidity, and get lots of static as well. Assuming it's not an oily finger problem and the other fixes don't work, you can try rinsing the pan in an anti static wetting agent like rain-x. If you can still find a dark room supply, pick up a bottle of kodak photo flow (A pint should last several lifetimes) . It's for preventing water spots on drying negatives. A couple of drops in a cup of water should also be good for this, just swish your pan around in it for a few seconds. Don't wipe it out after, let it air dry.

BTW, I've found my Lyman plastic pan to have worse static issues than the RCBS metal. I've also found that WST sticks much more so than WSF. WST is much lighter in color, so I expect less graphite?

DLCTEX
03-13-2010, 04:23 PM
+1 on the liquid fabric softer in a spray bottle. I use it on my truck's seat when it starts charging my body's battery with high voltage.

wistlepig1
03-13-2010, 06:31 PM
ME TOO! Get the near strip search treatment at the airport to.Don't you just hate the Titaniunm rods:groner:

ghh3rd
03-14-2010, 12:50 AM
kodak photo flowHow many people do you know who have a bottle of Photo Flo around? I still have a half bottle from my darkroom days that ended about 1980. Perhaps it's time to get a fresh supply.

Spector
03-14-2010, 01:48 AM
I bought a spray can of Static Guard years ago to handle static problems. I spray it on and wipe it off. Works fine. Dryer sheet might be simpler and effective as others have mentioned.........Mike

snuffy
03-14-2010, 03:53 AM
I bought a spray can of Static Guard years ago to handle static problems. I spray it on and wipe it off. Works fine. Dryer sheet might be simpler and effective as others have mentioned.........Mike

I thought I was going to have to say that. My can of static guard anti static spray has a best used date of 10/29/99 on it so I don't know if it's still being sold. but it darn sure works!One quick squirt on the outside of the funnel/measure pan dissipates the static charge DRT.

AriM
03-14-2010, 03:55 AM
hmmm gotta try that on the feed tube of my powder measure....bullseye really likes to sick to that thing....

fourarmed
03-15-2010, 12:46 PM
If you have weighed boolits in your scale pans, there may be traces of lube in them. This is what makes powder grains stick in mine. Clean with a little solvent.

AZ-Stew
03-15-2010, 08:38 PM
Kodak photo flow

How many people do you know who have a bottle of Photo Flo around? I still have a half bottle from my darkroom days that ended about 1980. Perhaps it's time to get a fresh supply.

I never thought about using Photo Flow as an anti-static solution. Too bad I can't use it on my Lyman DPS 1200 powder dispenser. I can use it on the pan, but not the machine. I'll have to use the dryer cloths for the machine.

Regards,

Stew

ghh3rd
03-15-2010, 09:31 PM
I did try rubbing a dryer sheet inside and outside of my pan and plastic funnel this weekend. It left a noticable film in both, so I used a paper towel and semi polished it off, attempting to leave just a trace.

The H110 fell out of the pan much better. One tap of the pan against the funnel and the pan and funnel were empty. Perhaps next time I'll try a used sheet.

(By the way, I shot great groups with those rounds the next day -- musta been those dryer sheets! :roll:)

lead-1
03-16-2010, 03:42 AM
+1 on the Static Guard, I used some this past weekend on a couple of LEE powder dippers. The Red Dot was stuck like glue in them and a little shot of the Static Guard, let it air dry and the powder fell right out of the dipper. I use dryer sheets in my powder hoppers and in my tumblers.

wallenba
03-16-2010, 08:11 PM
I put a little powdered graphite in my pan when I get clingers, and rub it down with a paper towel. I keep dryer sheets on the bench too. That does not help when one of the dogs rolls on the living room carpet and sneaks up behind me and nose taps me! ZAP!!