PDA

View Full Version : Pig Bomb!

Changeling
03-12-2010, 02:15 PM
How many of you watched the special on either the History /Discovery channel called "Pig Bomb" the other night.
It was all about the Hog explosion in numbers, awesome show!

I live in Frederick Maryland and they aren't here yet, I don't think, at least I haven't seen any. However they seem to be moving everywhere very fast.

Lead Pusher
03-12-2010, 02:26 PM
I saw it several months ago it was very intresting. You really don't want them in Maryland. We've got our fair share in Florida. Nothing but a pain in the rear end. It does make your choice of varmint rifles a little different. We just shot them and leave'em lay.

chris in va
03-12-2010, 03:13 PM
I understand they've pretty much taken over Texas. Landowners are paying people to hunt them down.

geargnasher
03-12-2010, 03:17 PM
:bigsmyl2::Fire::Fire:

About the only practical use I've found for an AR.

Gear

mpmarty
03-12-2010, 03:32 PM
While at the school of languages in Monterrey Ca. we used to go out and hunt feral hogs with 1911a1s. I've climbed a few trees doing that.:veryconfu

3006guns
03-12-2010, 03:44 PM
This could get interesting.....think about it. Suddenly there's a "need" for legal, talented shooters who know their stuff.

Oh, sorry........you passed too many anti gun laws, remember? But have a nice day.

Maybe we could start exporting ham to China....pay off some of our debt!

mpmarty
03-12-2010, 03:46 PM
Funny! When I read the title of this thread I thought the DOD had come up with a new anti Taliban weapon.

Gunfixer
03-12-2010, 04:08 PM
I understand they've pretty much taken over Texas. Landowners are paying people to hunt them down.

"About the only practical use I've found for an AR" -Geargnasher
(I havent figured out the double quote yet)

Been stomping around on the ranch for 44 years and we didnt have them until 2008. Killed 9 since November and not trying too hard.

Pork- The other white meat

AR, Helicopter, and pigs anyone?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiHmYsyVniE

steve in kc
03-12-2010, 06:25 PM
They're spreading like mad in MO.

They are open season, year round, no permit required for RESIDENTS. However, if you're hunting them during deer/turkey season...better check the regs or you will be slapped with a fine (gotta have a valid permit for that season even if you're hunting hawgs.)

It's kinda funny though because....
In MO, during Archery turkey/deer, possession of a firearm is a NO NO (right now, but is changing for 2011 IF you have a CCP.)
You CAN hunt hawgs during these two seasons, but must have a valid tag in your possession.
The FAQ on feral hogs PRODUCED by the conservation department HEAVILY insists on having...and I quote...A BACKUP FIREARM on your possession, if you plant to bow hunt hawgs.

I can see it now..."But, Mr. conservation agent, I SWEAR I was just hunting hawgs!!!" <agent quickly dispatches ticket to offender>.

That don't make NO kinda sense!

Jim
03-12-2010, 06:30 PM
Wish(am I crazy?) there were some in S/W Va. I'd love to get in on some of that.

Blammer
03-12-2010, 06:40 PM
well, when the hogs take over and the deer population is down, you'll have a ready army to get them. The deer hunters.

Freightman
03-12-2010, 06:45 PM
Funny! When I read the title of this thread I thought the DOD had come up with a new anti Taliban weapon.
Let them have them, they are not real fond of pigs anyhow.They can lose all there crops to them and they would eat there goats and sheep.

WARD O
03-12-2010, 07:47 PM
Maybe you've got something there..... What if they became established in some of those heroine/poppy growing countries? Wonder if they'd do a little crop depredation and eat the poppies? Is turnabout fair play?

Ward

lwknight
03-12-2010, 07:54 PM
Only certain areas in TX are having problems with the ferol pigs. Its nothing new in a few areas and other places are just geting infested. My place in Jack County has only a few wild hawgs because there are a lot of hungry rednecks all over the place.

Recluse
03-12-2010, 09:05 PM

I wish I knew who some of those landowners are. Most of the ones I know are charging good money for the city boys to go out and shoot 'em a pig. :rolleyes:

:coffee:

nicholst55
03-12-2010, 09:30 PM

That's funny right there; I don't care who you are! :bigsmyl2:

randyrat
03-12-2010, 09:40 PM
We have a few in Wisconsin but mostly ones that have been let loose or get away from a hawg farm. They turn feral in a short while, very few found after deer hunting.
Around here you can shoot a hog with perty much any hunting license you have on your self. I doubt they would fine you if all you had was a finshing license.

Sure would be a good time going to Texas to hunt hogs.

Caster Blaster
03-12-2010, 09:43 PM
I am with Recluse, the show was entertaining, but just that, not too much truth. I haven't had one come up to my house dressed as the cable guy, try to kick in the door, then rob and rape my family like the show suggested. It took me a while to find an orange grove owner who wasn't charging to get rid of his pigs in FL. But no bag limit, no gun restrictions (other than 5 shot cap. in rifles) I've used a 1911, AR, .44mag and plan on my .460. I don't recommend the 1911, except for backup, I did get 2 at 50 yards but the other 3 chased me back into the truck bed while I was reloading! My buddy said he didn't know a 250lb man could impersonate a gazelle

Lead Pusher
03-12-2010, 10:18 PM
I've hunted hogs all my life all over FL from Holopaw, Okeechobee, St. Johns Marsh, through Lake wales and Immokalee. I've hunted with rifle, bow, muzzleloader, and dogs. I've only been chased once and that was with dogs. I think the danger rating is a little exatrated. Yeah there are some rank hogs out there, but I've never had one get up after being shot and come after me or anyone else. The one that chased me with dogs, well I believe he just ran my way. I'm sure it happens, but not like they want you to believe. On the other hand not many Russian hogs in Fl that I've seen. Just regular feral hogs. Maybe that's the difference. The area I hunt with a friend is an orange grove. The owner allows us to deer hunt if we keep the hogs at bay. they tear up his trees and irrigation system. If you gonna eat one a grove hog is the best. If you shoot an old marsh hog you'll smell him about the time you see him, and you'll know as soon as he hits the pan. The smell of old rank boar hog will be all over. Just my .02.

Marlin Hunter
03-12-2010, 10:37 PM
Wish(am I crazy?) there were some in S/W Va. I'd love to get in on some of that.

There is a pig problem in California, but the problem is on private land. Most of the public land is cleaned out. About 10 years ago I asked a few people who had land with a pig problem if I could hunt pigs there. They said I had to pay them to hunt on their land. I said forget it.

blackthorn
03-13-2010, 11:01 AM
Quote---"The one that chased me with dogs,"----Don't tell the rest of them they can run you using dogs!

Sorry, couldn't resist LOL.

uncle joe
03-13-2010, 11:21 AM
not for the faint of heart or peta folks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s03uPnRWoDM
there are longer ones there somewhere just the first one found in the search.
this guy is pretty good with an ar.

Down South
03-13-2010, 01:19 PM
We have had our share of hog problems here where I live. They are a bit different type of hog than the Javelina commonly found in Texas.
The hogs we have here are a mix of domestic long body type and what we call wild hogs.
Once upon a time it was legal to run stock (Hogs & Cows) loose in these parts. There were no stock laws in many areas here then.
People bread stock hogs to the wild hogs and let them rum loose in the woods. Pure bred domestic hogs just did survive well thus the cross breeding to the wild hogs that seemed to be able to survive anything. These hogs have been known to reach more than 500 lbs. I’ve killed several in the 300 lb range.
The cross bred hogs are still abundant in this area and are good meat hogs except for the bores.
Thank God that there are not that many left around my house. They have either been trapped or hunted down to small numbers. I do find fresh hog sign from time to time when I’m in the woods behind the house.

Marlin Hunter
03-13-2010, 01:52 PM
Quote---"The one that chased me with dogs,"----Don't tell the rest of them they can run you using dogs!

Sorry, couldn't resist LOL.

Reminds my of George Orwell's Animal Farm where the pigs ran off the farmers and made the farm into a communist society.

JDFuchs
03-13-2010, 02:11 PM
Ive never had a chance to hunt. (parents kept me away form firearms till i left for collage 5 years ago) Hog hunting seems the least restricted game to get into. I just don't know where to start. They haven't spread into much of Colorado yet so im going to have to drive a bit. Im just not sure where to start other then places that offer pig hunts for big $$

hammerhead357
03-13-2010, 02:46 PM
Down South.
In Texas the wild or feral hog is more numerous than the Javalina. The little Javalina are found mostly in the far south of Texas. As far as I know the Javalina doesn't cause much harm or damage. They're not as common over most of their range as they once were. In fact in some areas you would be hard pressed to find very many even in areas where they used to be common. I know this can very by location.
But over most of the state feral hogs are very common. There are some very large ones in and around agriculture communties but in the brush country and the arid areas they don't usually grow so large. But there are always exceptions to that.
My son and some of his friends hunt them at night on full moon nights and have done well at that. They are one heck of a pest.
I have even seen them in camp sites at Choke Canyon State Park at night. There were up to 15 or so in a group and were really tearing up the camp ground but it was mostly close to the water....Wes

Jack Stanley
03-13-2010, 05:32 PM
Last year I heard that the next county south west of me had several pigs on the lam . Story goes that the DNR didn't care how many of them the hunters shot . I haven't seen sign of one here yet ...... of course it could be just another rumor like the story of the panther that was spotted here about twenty years ago . That story reeks because it was seen in Muskegon and Monroe at the same hour of the day ......... one fast kitty huh? Then , there is the story of the couger that was seen about a mile and a half from my house . It supposedly killed a horse , yet none of our master deer hunters managed to kill it . Speaking of deer hunters a couple claim to have seen black bear in the north of the county :coffee:

All we need now are lions and tigers :veryconfu

Jack

jdgabbard
03-13-2010, 05:41 PM
We hunt most of them off in Oklahoma. We're not to shy to go hoggin' ;) On the flip side tho, they do make for some tasty meat once slaughtered... Got to go for the younger ones tho. The big ones just smell too darn bad to even bother messing around with...

BPCR Bill
03-13-2010, 08:42 PM
About six years ago I took my brother-in-law hunting on the CMR in Montana (when I still lived there). The area around Brussett, northwest of Jordan, had some homesteady type structures (cheap trailer homes moved in) located near National Forest land. We were working our way through some timber stands, looking for deer, when we found a bunch of hogs just running loose. They were close by some trailer property, just assumed they belonged to whoever was living there. Damn poor farming practice to just let the hogs run loose. I imagine that is how alot of pigs go feral. I was pretty tempted to whack a couple of them.

Regards,
Bill