PDA

View Full Version : Case sizing

craig61a
03-12-2010, 01:31 AM
New to Cast Boolits - I have been considering using cast bullet for rifles and will most likely begin casting my own at some point. I have been reading up on the subject, and I was just wondering about neck sizing cases. I have done metallic reloading for a few years. I would assume that you would want the neck to be .001" under the bullet size for best results. I have some mosins that slug anywhere from .310 up to .315, so I'm wondering if I need a sizer with a few different expanders, maybe .311, .312, .313?

I plan to buy bullets first off and get used to loading them before buying any equipment.

Buckshot
03-12-2010, 03:02 AM
...........Welcome to the board and it seems you've been reading the right stuff. A cast lead boolit will not stand the caseneck grip a jacketed bullet will. It's sure possible to size a cast slug down further with an undersized caseneck ID, especially is using a softer alloy. So I'd say yes to your need for a couple different caseneck expanders, and I'd also like to suggest the Lyman 'M' type expander over any common simple flare tool.

Another option is to use a 'Neck only' sizer utilizing the neck sizer bushings. Remember brass hardness due to work hardening is going to have an effect on how much the neck springs back when sized.

You should also consider checking the throat ID and sizing to a thousandth under that if possible, as it will usually enhance accuracy.

..............Buckshot

craig61a
03-12-2010, 04:23 AM
Thanks for the info... I've scanned through several books I had lying around that touch on the subject and found some info on the web. I use mostly Lee dies since they work for me and the cost is reasonable. And yes, I would prefer to neck size, but I figured going with Lee Collets might get a little spendy if I custom ordered several sizes. I'll have to look into neck sizer with bushings sounds like it might be just the thing.

Shiloh
03-12-2010, 07:25 AM
I use LEE dies. Mostly neck dies. I have an oversize mandrel for the '06 and Krag.

LEE doesn't make a neck die for the krag, so it is in the FL die. I have an oversize madrel from a .303 British in a RCBS Krag neck die.

Shiloh

03-12-2010, 11:36 AM
craig61a,
The Lee "Universal Neck Expanding Die" will work for all your calibers. I have one for the calibers that I don't have Lyman "M" dies.

craig61a
03-16-2010, 05:37 AM
Thanks - I'll look into that.