PDA

View Full Version : Saeco moulds

PacMan
03-10-2010, 10:07 PM
Considering ordering a set but unsure how to tell what actuall dia. they will cast.
The one i am looking at is. Saeco #432 44-265 gr.
Can anyone tell me what dia. bullets it should cast.

Thanks for any info.
Dwight

RobS
03-10-2010, 10:31 PM
From what I can read it is to be .430 diameter, but that is with what alloy?????

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=582956

I hope someone here can chime in on their experiences with this particular mold. Another option is to give Redding/Saeco a call and ask to be trasfered to a tech so you can discuss the mold specifications etc.

anachronism
03-10-2010, 10:50 PM
SAECO moulds are cut for Taracorp Magnum alloy, or it's equivalent, which is similar to "hardball" formulation. I've never had a SAECO mould throw an undersize bullet, except with pure lead.

RobS
03-10-2010, 11:40 PM
I read some more on your specific mold and seen reviews from a few individuals stating the mold had GC shank issues.

If you want to you can read some more of the reviews on this thread:

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProducts.aspx?pageNum=3&tabId=1&categoryId=9256&categoryString=9315***685***8657***9247***&brandId=1684

just click on the bullet mold choice and then click on the reviews

Hope this helps a bit.

PacMan
03-11-2010, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the info guys.
Dwight

Humbo
03-13-2010, 06:04 PM
I have that particular mold, and mine casts undersize. My alloys is 66% wheel weight and 33% linotype, bullets drop at around .429. I have only tried it a couple of times, so I might get slightly larger bullets if I tweak my alloy a little bit.

cbrick
03-15-2010, 10:50 PM
I have about 20 SAECO molds, every one of them are prefection except the last two which are junk and Redding refused to honor their own written warranty.

I would say buy SAECO at your own peril.

Rick

mtgrs737
03-16-2010, 12:04 AM
A friend and I both bought Saeco 221's which is a 22 cal. spire point GC design. Mine was a four cavity and the other guys was a two cavity, both had oversized gas check shanks. We contacted Saeco and sent them both back for replacement. Saeco took their time in doing the replacement as they said that they had to have new cherries made. However when the moulds were received they did have the right sized GC shank. So we were happy that they took care of us, if not a bit slowly. All my other Saeco moulds have cast boolits of a dia. that work for me and I like them big.

cajun shooter
03-17-2010, 09:08 AM
I have a few Saeco molds that I will never sell as they cast perfect bullets. Maybe they are having some internal problems but I have always thought that they were the best non custom mold made.

GBertolet
03-17-2010, 10:11 AM
Saeco had quality control issues recently. It may have been corrected by now, maybe not? I have several of their molds. The older ones are great.

9.3X62AL
03-17-2010, 11:15 AM
Only one SAECO mould in the barn currently, a #446 (200 grain flatpoint PB), was bought to service my 44-40 WCF roughly 2 years ago. In the 92/6/2 AKA Taracorp that I use, it casts at .431". This works for the 44-40 @ .429", and for the 44 Spec and Mag revos at .431". So, I'm happy with the tool.

The complaints about recent problems with Redding/SAECO tools cause me some concern, also. I think my mould purchasing might be better left in the hands of the craftsmen who advertise here. From Lee, I don't get upset if a tool needs some finishing or reworking. At the price charged by Lyman, RCBS, and SAECO, they need to get it right. They largely do, in my experience. Our in-house mould makers certainly "get it", and I don't object to paying them for their fine efforts. A good tool is an unadulterated pleasure to work with.

cbrick
03-17-2010, 01:31 PM
I have always thought that they were the best non custom mold made.

I always thought so too and sang the praises of Redding/SAECO loud and clear. Right up until the time they refused to honor their own written warranty and then sent out an email about it that slandered me.

Buy SAECO at your own peril.

Rick

Bradley
04-04-2010, 10:57 AM
SAECO makes really excellent moulds, as does Ballisti-Cast and RCBS.

sleeper1428
04-04-2010, 01:58 PM
I have to agree with those who say that current Redding/SAECO moulds may not exhibit the quality control that used to be the hallmark of these products. I have 19 SAECO moulds in various calibers, all purchases nearly 20 years ago, and all drop superb boolits. Only two of them have exhibited any problems, the first being my one 7mm mould that seemed to have sprue holes that were just a bit too small. This was easily corrected by a bit of careful drilling and reaming of the holes and now it works just fine. The second problem was what appeared to be an ill fitting sprue plate on my 4 cavity 9mm RN mould. With this one, I contacted Redding/SAECO and they had me return the mould for inspection and repair. Although they said that they could not find a particular problem with my sprue plate, they decided to replace it and all the attendant hardware - screws, washers, etc - before returning it and I must say that it does work much better now.

So the bottom line seems to be that you may have to take a bit more of a chance with purchasing current Redding/SAECO moulds but I would also say that if you get a good one, you'll never want to let it go.

sleeper1428

Char-Gar
04-04-2010, 02:45 PM
There are so many variables, you never really know what size bullets you will get until you cast some. My experience has been good with SAECO except for one four cavity 45 ACP RN mold. The bullets were .008 out of round. Sizing did not cure the problem, as about 1/3 of the bullet was .447 while the rest was .452. Not a good thing. A truly oval bullet.

.30/30 Guy
04-04-2010, 10:43 PM
All of my Saeco molds cast about 0.001 over listed size.

Suo Gan
04-09-2010, 02:09 PM
I do not usually have better than normal luck, but my recent Saeco molds have been as good as they have ever been. I hope that Ricks problems are not what we can expect from now on.