PDA

View Full Version : Hollowpoint/Alloy-Velocity/Accuracy (4-Way) Testing

Butcher45
03-10-2010, 09:12 PM
I wanted to test these the other day in my bigbore air rifle after work, but there was a lot more gravel to be raked than I thought, so I only had time to shoot one shot string of these 245grain .456 HollowPointed RCBS Single Action Army (cast in 25:1 alloy) thru my tuned 909 using a 3000psi fill. I figured it would be worth doing just to analyze the results, and base further testing off of them.

1. 662
2. 667
3. 679
4. 682
5. 670 end psi 2200

What to gather from these initial numbers? My first curiosity with these particular slugs was whether or not velocity would suffer with this hard of lead. Cast in 25:1 alloy, I'm guessing the BHN of these slugs is somewhere between 9.5 and 10. I think this could very well be the hardest alloy I have shot out of this rifle.

Compared to the fastest 245grainer I have tried so far (practically pure lead .457 REAL's no harder than BHN6 tops), the power drops off a bit with the HP SAA slugs using the same 3000psi fill (which is a great fill pressure to use in my rifle for the 245gr. REAL). The shot count with the 25:1 HP SAA's added another shot into a 20fps maximum variance, making this the first load I have recorded in this particular rifle that has given me 5 shots within a maximum 20fps variance. It also used the same amount of air to make those five shots that most other slugs I shoot use-up in four shots. The curve of this string indicates to me that further testing at different (likely lower) fill pressures could yield some improvement in power.....might even maintain the 5 shots within 20fps while doing so. Hmmmmmmmm.......

The .456 HP SAA, along with being cast from the harder .25:1 alloy, has a lot of contact area with those fat bands. Aside from the alloy being harder, those fat bands could be a big contributor to why the HP SAA slug initially appears to be a bit slow. Wish I had the same exact design in pure lead to compare with this alloy, to establish how much of a factor the lead hardness is. That comparison would simultaneaously go a long ways towards establishing just how much of a factor those fat bands are. The RCBS SAA design has a MASSIVE base band.

I couldn't wait to get out to the ranch and get to more testing done. I only had so many of the SAA's, so I had to test them sparingly. I DID have plenty of HP #454424's cast in 50/50 clip-on wheelweight-pure lead that tested BHN8.5 the day after they were cast. That was a while ago, so these may be slightly harder by now as can happen to cast boolits with age. I cannot come close to putting a dent in these boolits with my fingernail.
I have previously shot some pure lead versions of these HP #454424's cast from the same mold, and those were very accurate. I only wished I had more of the REAL's on hand for this test as well, since I have yet to do a complete string of 245's with all the shots being out of the same batch of boolits. Think I may very well get 5 shots within 20fps with those heavy .457 REAL's, too.

Now for some answers, along with some more questions lol.

Went back out to the ranch to test these hollowpoints for accuracy, and see if the harder lead appears to have much of an effect on velocity. Test rifle is a tuned SamYang 909 with a Zeiss Conquest 1.8-5.5X38mm scope set to 5.5 power. Shots were taken from the prone position (I'm not used to it) using my tacklebox as a rest from a distance of a measured 50yards. F-1 Chrony was set a measured ten feet from the muzzle, and leveled with a leveler. I set things up for doing chrony testing, and accuracy testing simultaneously. Paper targets were changed after every string. I factor in a 25psi margin of error on all fill pressures, because it is tough to read the gauge much closer than that.

Two designs were tested today. The first design tested is the .456 (un-sized, but .456 for the most part) RCBS Single Action Army design modified to drop HP's, weighing 245-246grains cast from 25:1 alloy (provided by Fredj338) . The mold pin used to make these boolits created a cavity just a tad over .25 inch wide at the nose, and just a bit shy of .5 inch deep (the boolit measures .75 inches long).

Please excuse the poor pictures.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x65/butcher45/HPBoolitTesting017.jpg

The second boolit design (provided by Grizzly Bear) was the original HP #454424 (pretty rare mold), dropping slugs that were .457-.458 un-sized (.457 for the most part), and weighed about 230grains (give or take a grain). The cavity was .20 in width at the nose, and about .5 inch deep (these slugs are 11/16's in length). These slugs were cast using a 50/50 alloy consisting of clip-on wheel weights/pure pb. I have had excellent results in the past (accuracy wise) shooting these same slugs cast in pure lead.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x65/butcher45/HPBoolitTesting016.jpg

The first string/group of the day was 4 shots of the HP'd RCBS SAA design using a 2900psi fill. Chrony string was 1)674.9 2)685.6 3)685.0 4.668.0 end psi 2100, and here is the "group" that resulted.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x65/butcher45/HPBoolitTesting001.jpg

Discouraging to say the least. What happened here? Granted these were the first shots of the day, but no way did I mess-up THAT bad shooting off a rest. So I moved on to the next string, shooting the 230grain .457-.458 HP #454424's using a 2900psi fill. The shot string was as follows: 1)696.4 2)709.8 3)704.8 4)690.6 end psi 2150

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x65/butcher45/HPBoolitTesting002.jpg

Shot #1 was pretty low in comparison with the rest of the group, despite being very close in velocity. I recalled seeing this happen before, but wanted to make sure it was the gun causing it, and not me. So I repeated the test with the same fill pressure, and for string #2 using this boolit I got 1)682.0 2)695.5 3)702.6 4)689.8 end pressure 2150

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x65/butcher45/HPBoolitTesting013.jpg

Well now.....it appears that despite the numbers being pretty tight, the rifle/valve/what have you just does not like to shoot this boolit at 2900psi, and throws the first shot low from the rest.

I then went back to the 245grain HP'd SAA design, and shot this string: 1)672.7 2)682.6 3)690.2 4)668.9 (forgot to record end fill pressure on this one)

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x65/butcher45/HPBoolitTesting009.jpg

This boolit makes nice chrony strings, but accuracy is looking pretty dismal at this point.

So I went back to the 230grain HP #454424's, this time using a 2800psi fill in an effort to get rid of the low first shot I was experiencing. I got a string of 1)702.5 2)709.1 3)697.9 4)678.7 end pressure 2025psi, and here are the results on paper.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x65/butcher45/HPBoolitTesting011.jpg

Despite falling outside my desired maximum variance of 20fps (by about 11fps), the low first shot was now gone, and the accuracy of these four shots showed to be very good. The first two shots went into the same hole.

For the last string/test of the day, I shot 3 of my remaining 4 HP'd SAA boolits (saving the last one for a terminal ballistics test) using a 2800psi fill. 1)683.0 2)685.8 3)682.9, and got this on paper.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x65/butcher45/HPBoolitTesting015.jpg

General thoughts on the 245grain .456 HP'd RCBS Single Action Army design: these slugs go about 25fps slower than the .457 245grain REAL's cast in pure lead (fastest boolit this weight so far). It remains to be seen whether or not the velocity difference is due to the extremely fat bands on this boolit (especially the base), the 25:1 alloy, or a bit of both. I will be ordering pure-lead versions of this boolit for further testing so I can try to figure out what is causing the reduced velocity.

Accuracy was non-existent. I am hypothesizing that this may be due to the cavity style used. The caster has about 4 different mold pins that create four different styles of cavity for this mold, and the cavity/mold pin used for these boolits is the most extreme of the four cavity styles. When I order more of these slugs, I am going to try all four cavity styles in an effort to see whether or not a different style of cavity will improve the accuracy of this boolit design.

General thoughts on the original Lyman #454424 HP design: This was quite interesting. I established that the rifle's first shot did not like that extra 100psi in the fill despite the velocity being right where it should be. I am hypothesizing that this has something to do with how the valve functions when shooting this booit, thus affecting the time spent in the barrel. I will try a 2850psi fill next time, in an effort to tighten the numbers while avoiding that low first shot.

Accuracy with these 50/50 alloy HP #454424 boolits was very good....apparently identical to the accuracy the pure lead versions displayed. Good enough that this will probably be my new heavyweight target/plinking round. I wish I had had the time to test some pure lead 230grainers for a velocity comparison.....I will do that soon. Good power regardless, despite the alloy being on the hard side as far as airgun slugs are concerned.

General thoughts overall: No matter what the chrony says, you have to see what is going down on paper before establishing both the correct fill pressure, and how accurate that fill pressure will be with any given design. The harder alloy used in this batch of HP #454424's does not appear to be slowing down the velocities a great deal, if at all. The 50/50 WW-pb alloy APPEARS to be just as fast as the pure lead, but that remains to be seen. Prior testing with this design in pure lead was done before my rifle had some work done to it that upped the power a little, so a comparison between the two alloys using the strings I recorded before the work was done to the rifle would not be valid. I may be able to obtain more of the HP#454424's cast from pure lead for further testing.

What next? Testing the accuracy of the HP #454424's at further ranges, and requesting/buying more HP'd SAA's cast in the same alloy, but with the other three cavity styles in an effort to establish whether or not the cavity is having an affect on the lack of accuracy I am experiencing with this boolit. I will also request more of them made from dead-soft lead, with all four cavity styles being represented if possible in an effort to see if softer lead, and/or the different cavities result in some accuracy. It will also be interesting to see if the softer lead improves velocity, and determine just how much of a factor if any the large bands as far as velocity is concerned.

Any comments, ideas, or observations are welcome, and encouraged.

dubber123
03-10-2010, 10:06 PM
Forgive me if I missed something in my hasty reading, but if I read correctly, the "bad" boolit was sized .456", while the "good" boolits were .457-458". 1-2 thousandths of an inch can certainly make or break a regular gunpowder fired load, I have to assume the same holds true for air rifles.

If the "bad" boolit was slightly undersized for your bore, it would simultaneously explain the poor accruacy, and the lower velocity readings due to pressure blow-by on the slug.

Butcher45
03-10-2010, 10:24 PM
Forgive me if I missed something in my hasty reading, but if I read correctly, the "bad" boolit was sized .456", while the "good" boolits were .457-458". 1-2 thousandths of an inch can certainly make or break a regular gunpowder fired load, I have to assume the same holds true for air rifles.

If the "bad" boolit was slightly undersized for your bore, it would simultaneously explain the poor accruacy, and the lower velocity readings due to pressure blow-by on the slug.

I see your reasoning here. Thing is, that .456 is generally considered to be the optimum diameter for my type of air rifle's barrel. I have shot plenty of other .454-.456 slugs that have performed great.

The most power I have recorded with this rifle, was when shooting pure lead 220grain Lee ROA's that were .456

runfiverun
03-11-2010, 12:01 AM
so, the pure lead bumped up and sealed.
but the harder alloy needed a higher pressure to shoot better.
sounds just like lead alloy in a rifled bbl to me.

Butcher45
03-11-2010, 12:52 AM
so, the pure lead bumped up and sealed.
but the harder alloy needed a higher pressure to shoot better.
sounds just like lead alloy in a rifled bbl to me.

I used to go by some info I saw in an article on obturation that said that even pure lead required something like 8000psi or so to obturate. My air rifle operates on more like 3000, and most other bigbore air rifles on the market right now use no more than 3800psi or so and that's pushing it. Then lately, I hear people say that pure lead can indeed obturate at 3000psi pressure levels.

I did save a couple of bags of sheared wool from the ranch to shoot slugs into, hoping that I had enough wool to stop the slug yet not damage it so I could measure the boolit for signs of obturation. Seeing pure lead, bore-riding hollow-based designs recovered un-damaged would be interesting.

A big factor with this rifle (one I somehow neglected/failed to mention).....it has a slight choke at both ends of the barrel. The slug is probably .454 or less after passing thru the choke. The choke in my barrel is around .4535 an inch or so down the muzzle.

Butcher45
03-11-2010, 12:57 AM
How much harder is 25:1 alloy, than 50/50 WW/pb that tested 8.5BHN right after being cast?

outdoorfan
03-11-2010, 12:05 PM
0-1 bhn.