PDA

View Full Version : Swat Team Shoots His Window?

Uncle Grinch
03-10-2010, 08:27 PM
This was on our local news last night and I couldn't believe what I am seeing. No comments have been generated so far.

Take a look at this video and see if you believe this SWAT team member shoots his car window. It's the scene where the officer has his back to the camera and is about to shoot over his car (I believe)

http://www.13wmaz.com/video/default.aspx?aid=73862&storyid=76033#/Latest%20Videos/Statewide%20Law%20Enforcement%20Conference%20in%20 Macon/49906860001/50317413001/71051117001

waksupi
03-10-2010, 08:31 PM
From the look of the bullet hole already in the rear window, I would say it was an exercise involving a "criminal" in the car.

leadman
03-10-2010, 08:32 PM
Almost looks like someone else shot his window. If he shot it his gun would have been pointed down. Also saw a bullet hole in the rear window of the car towards the end of the video.

Looked at it again. Think he did shoot it. I was a Foreman in maintenance with the City Of Phoenix and there were times we would take an old car to the police range for just this sort of thing. The fire dept. would burn stuff also for practice.

JIMinPHX
03-10-2010, 10:11 PM
The video can't be downloaded with real player. It looks like they don't want anyone to have a permanent record of this.

HeavyMetal
03-10-2010, 10:39 PM
The officer drilled that widow clean!

I suspect he had a Glock, had a failure to feed and did a tap, rack, bang drill with his finger on the trigger.

Reason number one for way you couldn't give me a Glock, or any auto pistol with a safty in the trigger!

harrya
03-10-2010, 10:43 PM
The whole vidio clip on the TV showed the SWAT teams of middle GA at the range. Some were regular targets, etc. Some were buildings, cars, etc. What I saw seemed to be VERY close to the rolled up window, more glass on the LEO then on the bad guy!!!
harrya

The Double D
03-10-2010, 11:01 PM
He shot the window as part of the training. We did the same thing back in the olden days when all any one carried were woodstock 870's and S&W 38 SPL revolvers...showed how hard is was to hit something on other side car glass and how glass dust flies. The theory was to explore the myth you can disable the car by shooting ignition switch...never saw any one everable to do it.

With the 870 we ringed the shotgun shell over the wad with a pocket knife and went through the windshield or back window. Now that worked!

Back then SWAT was something your kid got a school when he acted up and you gave him another at home when you found out he was causing problems at school.

Man, did I just date my self!!!

SciFiJim
03-11-2010, 12:18 AM
Seeing all of them at the firing line with all of their tacticool gear, my thought was "I wonder who gets to keep the brass?" Probably go into a recycling barrel instead of to a reloader.

Lee
03-11-2010, 01:20 AM
Somehow, I missed the whole exciting thing, except where they showed the ROSWELL LEO's. Hmmmmmmmmmm:-?

danski26
03-11-2010, 02:31 AM
Whats all the hubbub about? because he shot the window? I wouldn't say thats standard practice but once every couple years we drag one out to the range for training. He was a bit close but armored up....not a big deal.

JIMinPHX
03-11-2010, 12:19 PM
Whats all the hubbub about?

I think that the big deal is that SWAT tactics are being taught to a larger percentage of the police force. Around here, the fire department is being taught crowd control. It's the gradual mass militarization of the public services that gets some people a little edgy. It's like having another standing army that isn't under the same control & regulations as the official military. People have concerns about how that force might be misused.

WILCO
03-11-2010, 12:26 PM
It's like having another standing army that isn't under the same control & regulations as the official military. People have concerns about how that force might be misused.

Indeed!

danski26
03-11-2010, 02:33 PM
They are Jim? Come to Wisconsin then. We havn't had staffing increases at our department since 1978. Our "SWAT" team has not changed size since its inception in the late 1980's.

Our wonderful ultra liberal governer is cutting funding for DA's offices and laying off assistant DA's. While increasing funding for the public defenders office. Governer Doyle has also rammed through legislation that basicly does away with the truth in sentencing law that was recently past and gives him the authority to release "non-violent" offenders on his whim. And he is doing it!

Throughout the state departments requested stimulation funds from Obama for hundreds of new officers on the street. All except for a few to the tribal police and city of Milwaukee (who can't recruit enough candidates to fill the positions) were denied.

The State Patrol has had a highering freeze for at least four years if not more. Our training budget is the same as it was in 1978 and maybe earlier but we can't find the records. I have no doubt that you shoot more than most of our officers in a year and can probably out shoot most of the department.

If you are worried about a standing law enforcement army.....come to Wisconsin. We don't have enough cops to answer the calls we get let alone be proactive and actually catch criminals before they kill, rob, rape and steal.

But then again, when you call, expect quite a wait for me to get there because you will be put in line with everyone else calling and most of the time I am the only one working in the north end of the county. One north one south. If someone is killing you and you call me, it could take me 20 min to get there going 130 mph, or as fast as i can.

What agency or state or area is expanding there training and tactical teams significantly? Or are you just assuming that? Az is that well funded? HMMM warm weather. Good places to shoot. Good job? Good training......If it wasn't for the scorpions thing i might be heading your way!

P.K.
03-11-2010, 03:14 PM
Seeing all of them at the firing line with all of their tacticool gear, my thought was "I wonder who gets to keep the brass?" Probably go into a recycling barrel instead of to a reloader.

LOL! You'd be suprised, I'd lay odds that close to half of them are reloaders. I know a few and do 3 gun to keep the pointy end god and sharp.

JIMinPHX
03-12-2010, 01:15 AM
They are Jim? Come to Wisconsin then. We havn't had staffing increases at our department since 1978. Our "SWAT" team has not changed size since its inception in the late 1980's.

Our wonderful ultra liberal governer is cutting funding for DA's offices and laying off assistant DA's. While increasing funding for the public defenders office. ...

...What agency or state or area is expanding there training and tactical teams significantly? Or are you just assuming that? Az is that well funded? HMMM warm weather. Good places to shoot. Good job? Good training......If it wasn't for the scorpions thing i might be heading your way!

My comment about the expanded SWAT training was based on what the cop in the video said about him now getting the opportunity to learn these new special tactics. My comment was isolated to that situation. I did not mean to imply that cops everywhere are getting massive funding to beef up goon squads. I don't see that happening.

I've spent some time up around Racine, Kenosha & Pleasant Prairie. Other than that, I really don't know Wisconsin at all. When my wife worked in Racine, she seemed to think that there were plenty of cops stopping speeders, but I never noticed any elevated police presence there. There sure were a lot less cops there then there were south of the border in Chicago. I wasn't aware of your recent political difficulties in that state. It does sound like you are in the process of getting a raw deal.

As for here in AZ, I think that we have enough cops, but not too many. We are getting slapped with extra taxes now to "be able to keep the police presence as it is". They keep changing what they tell us they need to take from us in taxes to make that happen, which I am not too happy about. The latest is a 2% grocery tax here in Phoenix.

I think that the AZ cops tend to be some of the most reasonable law enforcement officers that I have ever met. Then again, the only ones I ever ran into here were the ones teaching the CCW class that I took about 6 years ago. They actually seemed appreciative that citizens were taking the initiative to learn how to CCW properly. They liked the idea of honest citizens being armed because they saw it as an extra line of back up that they might have if they got into a tight situation. A Glendale SWAT instructor even said so to me in so many words. I can't compare that to Wisconsin cops, since I've never met any.

Back east is the only place that I ever ran into a few LEOs that I didn't particularly have full respect for. It was in places like Boston, NYC & NJ Not all the cops there were sub par, but those places seemed to have more than their fair share of ones that weren't quite 100% on the straight & narrow.

Like you said, the scorpions down here do take some of the shine off of this place, & so do the buzz worms & the 120 degree summer days, but other than that, this place is actually still pretty good if you ask me. The politicians here seem to be about 30 years behind the curve in learning how to steel from the people, & the Constitution still gets some respect. That's the way that I like it.

If nothing else, AZ is a nice place to visit in the winter time. The higher elevations are nice in the summer, just not down here, south of 4,000 feet. Come on down & see the Grand Canyon sometime if you can. We're friendly folks & we do support our police down here.

wistlepig1
03-12-2010, 01:50 AM
He told everyone that he wanted a" private Army that was better trained and equiped than the US Army". Change! Sorry Guys, I just had to say it,:hijack::drinks:

I think that the big deal is that SWAT tactics are being taught to a larger percentage of the police force. Around here, the fire department is being taught crowd control. It's the gradual mass militarization of the public services that gets some people a little edgy. It's like having another standing army that isn't under the same control & regulations as the official military. People have concerns about how that force might be misused.

danski26
03-12-2010, 02:10 AM
Sorry for the rant Jim. How did we get here from shooting a car window? ;-) And what exactly are "buzz worms?"

wistlepig1
03-12-2010, 02:16 AM
Their also called rattle-bugs.:bigsmyl2:

Jim, Avondale/Goodyear Kids did anyway.

Geraldo
03-12-2010, 01:52 PM
This was on our local news last night and I couldn't believe what I am seeing. No comments have been generated so far.

Take a look at this video and see if you believe this SWAT team member shoots his car window. It's the scene where the officer has his back to the camera and is about to shoot over his car (I believe)

http://www.13wmaz.com/video/default.aspx?aid=73862&storyid=76033#/Latest%20Videos/Statewide%20Law%20Enforcement%20Conference%20in%20 Macon/49906860001/50317413001/71051117001

You're wrong. That was an intentional shot or shots for training purposes.

We used junk cars in training for couple of reasons. The first is that what most people believe they know about shooting through auto glass or auto bodies is wrong. We shot auto glass and sheet metal so we would know what our duty ammo could or could not do. The second reason is to run live fire drills of various scenarios involving cars. The quality of cars used for training was left to the discretion of the yard we got them from. Some were total junk, some we couldn't believe they'd let us destroy for training purposes.

JIMinPHX
03-12-2010, 04:06 PM
And what exactly are "buzz worms?"

Rattlesnakes. We have a bunch of different varieties here. They're just starting to come out of hibernation now.

leftiye
03-12-2010, 08:35 PM
Whatever anyone thinks about funding, cops per square meter, etc., Jim had it right about the sichewashun making a lot of us real nervous about where our country and our freedoms are going.

A lot of us who can remember the "old time town cops" - you know, the ones that you knew, and who also knew you? The ones who had good sense, and were allowed to exercise same in handling their work. The ones who weren't still wet behind their ears. The ones who weren't scared to death of everyone, didn't view everyone as "perps", but also didn't antagonize everyone the opportunity came up to mess with. Think about that for second if you want a good definition of stupid. Any given "perp"son might end this mall ninja's life, but he gives them maximum aggravation just the same. Thas because he's "got balls", and he's "got principles."

I'm starting to think we all need to get "live free or Die" bumper stickers and mean it!

Echo
03-13-2010, 12:53 AM
Well - I'm saying the guy with his back to us DIDN'T shoot the window. His reaction to recoil isn't in sync with the window hole showing up. I think...

Lee
03-13-2010, 03:55 PM
Man, I'm sorry. I keep looking at the thread title and see "Swat Team Shoots His WIDOW"?? How could he do that.........:kidding:
Sorry, it's the weekend, couldn't resist......:groner: