PDA

View Full Version : advise on used lyman 45 lubesizer

jmsj
03-10-2010, 04:10 PM
Hey Guys,
I've got a newbie questions regarding a used Lyman 45 lubesizer. I have an oppurtunity to buy a used one, it looks in good shape. I don't know anything about lubesizers as I am still pretty green to casting and I have only been tumble-lubing so far. Casting budget is tight right now, cant afford to spring for a new unit.
Are these still good units?
What are there strengths and weaknesses?
What is a fair price to pay for one?
I'd really like to hear you guys that have experience with lubesizers. As always I value your input. jmsj

AZ Pete
03-10-2010, 07:36 PM
They are good machines. Be sure to melt the old lube out of it and start fresh, if it hasn't been used for a while. The old lube gets stiff and may cause you to twist the lube screw off, if you don't. Price? depends greatly on condition and where you are, and if there is a sizing die and nose punch in it. I bought a Lymn 450 for $25 at a gun show last year, it was new/old stock ,no die or punch. Prices have risen though. I see the sellers of Evilbay are asking in the $60 range now for Lyman 45's.

Rock
03-10-2010, 07:41 PM
Ebay prices are closer to $85 + for a complete Lyman 45.

cheese1566
03-10-2010, 08:11 PM
Unsure on prices, but expect well over $50 for any unit, a lot more if in good condition.
They are good units, but not as stout as younger brothers (450 and 4500). They can be considered antiques, but most are stilll going strong. No parts available except for new pressure screws and updated o-ring style pressure nuts. But if the majority of parts are there, the little stuff can be fabricated.

Watch for cracked housings around the front setscrew that retains the sizer die. (If cracked, it can be brazed back to health.)
Get a heater if using any stiff lube.

Check out my refurbed 45 on the shutterfly link below. It had a cracked/repaired housing in front.

Have fun, enjoy, and go for it! We are all here to help!!!!!!!!!!

jmsj
03-11-2010, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the replies,
Being a newbie and never run or seen a lubesizer run, I don't know how much pressure/effort ot takes to operate one. I have been reloading for 25+ years, is it he same as a reloading press?
At my experience level, would I be better off to wait till I can afford a new one(might be a while). I'm just kind of anxious to try something new and expand my casting experience. If I wait I was thinking about getting a lyman 4500. Once again, your experienced input would be appreciated.
Thanks again. jmsj

Cherokee
03-12-2010, 06:32 PM
I started with a #45, used, back in 1969 and it served me well for many years. Still have it and use it some even tho I also have acquired a 450 and 4500 and a Star over the years.

R.C. Hatter
03-12-2010, 08:11 PM
:coffee: For what its worth, I started out in in the late '50s with a Lyman 45 and it is still in use today after sizing many thousands of bullets. I would get the 45 if you can obtain it at a reasonable price in good condition. I also have a Saeco, but that can incur you a bunch of money in a hurry for dies, top punches etc.

jmsj
03-12-2010, 09:29 PM
Hey guys,
Thank for the replies. I forgot to ask is does the old model 45 use the same sizer dies and top punches as the newer models and do you need a special part to seat gas checks.
Thanks again, jmsj

Rock
03-12-2010, 09:54 PM
Same dies
No extra parts for seating gas checks

Faret
03-13-2010, 02:02 PM
Lyman dies work better due to the oring being higher up on the die unlike the rcbs ones.

Springfield
03-13-2010, 02:35 PM
I liked my 45 better than my 450, so I sold the 450. I use it for add jobs, most of the time I use a Star. If it is in good shape 50.00 is a good price with no dies. They fix up nice witha little paint.

fatelk
03-16-2010, 01:33 AM
I have an old used Lyman 45 that I just bought some new parts for.

I paid $50 for it, and it came with a couple sizing dies. I didn't realize when I bought it that the pressure screw had been broken and poorly welded. I promptly broke it, and did a better job of welding it.

Not good enough, though. It broke again a couple weeks ago. I was going to try fixing it again, until I found out how cheap new parts are. A new screw, pressure nut, and o-rings only cost $13 shipped directly from Lyman, and were here in less than a week! Now I'm just waiting for my custom sizer die from Buckshot, and I'm all ready to go.

The only issue I found with the new parts is that the very top of the screw shaft is a larger diameter than the original, so the top cover won't fit on. I think I can just drill it out, though.

StarMetal
03-16-2010, 09:17 AM
I have both the 45 and 450. I converted my 45 to use the die nut. Here's a picture of it:

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg51/starmetal47/ThreadedNut1.jpg