PDA

View Full Version : Went to Buy a Saeco Mold Today

Suo Gan
03-10-2010, 03:19 PM
I looked at the prices and thought holy cats! A two cavity for over $90 and a 4 holer for $150!!! I thought that I was going bonkers so I looked in last years catalog. $65 for a 2, and $99 for a 4!!!

I'd say things have gone up! Just another reason to buy from one of our custom mold makers.

RobS
03-10-2010, 04:00 PM
Yep..............

Even RCBS as gone up $10 in the last 6 to 12 months and Lyman is up $5 or $10 as well.

The custom fellows here very good from what I hear and from what I have read on the forum. They are also great at with us working through any problems etc...............I've heard nothing but the best from them all.

stubshaft
03-10-2010, 04:35 PM
When faced with a shortage of components people "rediscover" certain hobbies.

That'll Do
03-10-2010, 05:35 PM
Saeco molds cost a pretty penny, but they sure do make nice boolits.

The mailman brought me a 4 cavity 38-158-SWC from Midway today, I can't wait to use it. My other Saeco mold, a 44 cal 200gr RNFP casts beautifully too.

jr545
03-10-2010, 05:39 PM
I like my iron molds but have ordered several aluminum and one brass in the last little while.

Can anyone give me an idea of how long I can expect the custom aluminum molds to last?

I might entertain the thought of letting some of the iron molds I have go if the aluminum molds will last a lifetime with good treatment.

imashooter2
03-10-2010, 06:39 PM
I like my iron molds but have ordered several aluminum and one brass in the last little while.

Can anyone give me an idea of how long I can expect the custom aluminum molds to last?

I might entertain the thought of letting some of the iron molds I have go if the aluminum molds will last a lifetime with good treatment.

I have about 15,000 out of one Lee 6 cavity. I expect that I'll be able to get at least that many more and probably way more than that.

The current custom molds I see are certainly as well made as the Lee 6's.

That said, aluminum is more fragile than iron and you need to be careful with them.

BOOM BOOM
03-10-2010, 07:29 PM
HI,
Have to agree seaco makes good moulds.

RobS
03-10-2010, 08:19 PM
As goes aluminum:
The custom non Lee aluminum molds are constructed of a better grade of aluminum; all of my custom molds are simply a harder aluminum. That being said the Lee 6 cavity molds with good sprue plate lube and a little bit of care taken while using them can result in a very long life span. Some people here have cast thousands and thousands of rounds and their molds will last for thousands and thousands more. The custom mold makers who use higher grade aluminum with their molds..............well those molds will probably outlast me and then some.

Lube the sprue place and alignment pins and your off and going.

As for the iron:
Saeco does make some really nicely finished iron molds and their cost reflects it. If RCBS would ever join in on the 4 cavity designs Saeco would have themselves some competition though and it could possibly bring down the cost. More to our custom mold makers here as their costs are less and their molds are of equal quality or often times of better quality.

snowtigger
03-13-2010, 03:41 AM
I bought a Saeco mold on their reputation. It turned out to be a dud. One cavity was cut too shallow, the gas check would not go on.
However, I called Saeco and they said to send it in. I talked to the mold man himself. He said they had several like that and the guy who cut it was no longer there. They replaced it as soon as they got the bad one. The replacement is second to none, and I can't say anything bad about their service. :D

Jack Stanley
03-13-2010, 05:38 PM
I bought a Saeco mold on their reputation. It turned out to be a dud. One cavity was cut too shallow, the gas check would not go on.
However, I called Saeco and they said to send it in. I talked to the mold man himself. He said they had several like that and the guy who cut it was no longer there. They replaced it as soon as they got the bad one. The replacement is second to none, and I can't say anything bad about their service. :D

I had heard something about their molds loosing quality control in the last couple years . Perhaps that is what started it huh? I had a Saeco many years ago , it was very fussy about what alloy it would cast with but it would make good bullets .

Jack

Humbo
03-13-2010, 05:57 PM
I have several SAECO molds, and they sure are well made. But what annoys me with one custom mold is that the holes in the sprue plate are too small, so getting complete fill out is difficult. Anyone know an easy fix? I don't have many tools available where I live now, so it's difficult to do it myself.

skeet1
03-13-2010, 05:57 PM
Looks like a good reason to buy Lee moulds and other products. They are also made in the USA.

Skeet1

Shiloh
03-13-2010, 06:10 PM

The lifespan will depend on how it is used. Several of my 6 banger LEE molds have many thousands of boolits produced. Keep alignment pins and pivots lubed, don't slam them around or hit with a mallet, they should last a long time.

Shiloh

Le Loup Solitaire
03-13-2010, 09:30 PM
Making sprue cutter pour holes bigger is not a difficult job and it can be done easily, but it must be done right. A countersink can be used, but GO SLOW. Same job can be done with a dowel that is pointed the same as the angle in the hole and lapping compound. The thing to keep in mind is that if you take away too much metal then you have the hole too big and you can't put any of it back...thats where the GO REAL Slow comes in. It might be worth while to practice on a piece of scrap metal first. LLS

deltaenterprizes
03-13-2010, 11:45 PM
The price of molds is what made me invest in a centering vise to make my own molds! I already had a lathe and mill.

waco
03-14-2010, 12:00 AM
i just bought a saeco 180gr fn .357 2 cav that looked new, with handles from a member here for $95.00 shipped. i is a beautiful mold that casts very well. i was very pleased, as this is my first saeco mold

Buckshot
03-14-2010, 04:25 AM
I have several SAECO molds, and they sure are well made. But what annoys me with one custom mold is that the holes in the sprue plate are too small, so getting complete fill out is difficult. Anyone know an easy fix? I don't have many tools available where I live now, so it's difficult to do it myself.

...............Humbo, all you need is a drill motor and a 60* countersink. Some cutting oil would be nice, but any oil would be a positive. Try not to use too much pressure beyond that required to cut, and also not a high rate of speed. Reason being when you make the hole larger you're going to end up with a very thin knife edge around it, and it's possible to push the circumfrence down below the underside of the SP by a few thousandths. Once you're satified with the new hole size you'll need to sand the bottom of the SP to remove any possible pushed down steel.

...............Buckshot

imashooter2
03-14-2010, 09:47 AM
...............Humbo, all you need is a drill motor and a 60* countersink. Some cutting oil would be nice, but any oil would be a positive. Try not to use too much pressure beyond that required to cut, and also not a high rate of speed. Reason being when you make the hole larger you're going to end up with a very thin knife edge around it, and it's possible to push the circumfrence down below the underside of the SP by a few thousandths. Once you're satified with the new hole size you'll need to sand the bottom of the SP to remove any possible pushed down steel.

...............Buckshot

Clamping it to a backer plate helps avoid bulging the bottom. Still need to sand it on a flat plate when finished though...

buck1
03-14-2010, 09:59 AM

I sent my sprue plate back in and they cut the holes bigger for me! ...Buck

JIMinPHX
03-14-2010, 11:55 AM
Even the price of Lee loading equipment is going up. I went into Cabella's to pick up a Lee 1000 the other day & got a case of sticker shock. I didn't buy it. I bought conversion parts from a board member instead & changed the caliber of my existing press.

Ole
03-14-2010, 12:13 PM
This sounds like a case of ignorance being bliss. :mrgreen:

All i've ever casted with were Lee molds and they seem to turn out OK boolits if I do my part.

mpmarty
03-14-2010, 06:19 PM
I've used LEE molds for many years. One set has been "retired" as I decided to "tune it up" and when trying to remove the sprue plate pivot it broke off in the mold body. I've screwed with it for about a year trying reverse drill bits and easyouts and all has failed. My Bad

theperfessor
03-14-2010, 06:54 PM
Mpmarty-

Is your broken-screw mold a two or six cavity?

deltaenterprizes
03-14-2010, 07:52 PM
Flip the blocks 180* and drill and tap the opposite corner.

quasi
03-14-2010, 11:37 PM
SAECO's are excellent molds, and worth the extra$ over a Lyman mold. If you think 4 cavity SAECO's are expensive, look on Ebay at used H+G moulds!

Humbo
03-15-2010, 05:01 PM

...............Buckshot

Thanks for the tips everyone. Are you sure about the 60*? I would think it would be closer to 90%, but I'll have to check. Will try to fix it myself, just need to get the correct countersink for the job.

Suo Gan
03-23-2010, 06:56 PM
SAECO's are excellent molds, and worth the extra$ over a Lyman mold. If you think 4 cavity SAECO's are expensive, look on Ebay at used H+G moulds!

Me thinkum price jump too high! Rip wallet off ass. Last year ver high, this year soar like chicken hawk. Me thinkum buy now before go higher. Nazi Palosi, Barney Fink sell off reservation more, next year be worse. Be happy to get Lee mold and broken screws then I guess.